The SF Valley is in SoCal.... right????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by decepty, Jul 10, 2006.

1. decepty

decepty New Member

Mathlete
    Howdy All,

I've been lurking for a few weeks here, getting the feel of things.

I used to bike a lot as a kid growing up in eastern Colorado, but after moving out here (*ahem* a decade ago) my bike got sold during the move and I just never started back up again... until now.

I just bought a new bike about a month ago and am spending some time getting used to everything and getting myself back into shape. (It's amazing how doughy one gets from spending all their time behind a computer screen.) I'm pretty excited, as my new ride (06 Rockhopper) is so many leagues better than my old Parkpre.

I've been noticing that there are a lot of riders here from the IE/OC/SD areas, but I hardly ever see anyone from the Valley or many rides up in the Santa Monicas. Do any Valley folk represent here on these boards?

I've been riding with a buddy of mine who just moved back here from up north (Humboldt area), but aside from him I have been sort of on my own. I'm looking for a group of riders who wouldn't mind me tagging along for a few rides. I doubt I'm going to be on par with many of the more 'serious' riders here, but I don't mind pushing myself (as long as I don't take too much crap for pooping out 1/2way through a climb and walking the rest of the way). I've also been looking forward to riding with some folks with skills who don't mind me dropping my gear and shooting some vids along the way. I'm an amateur videographer and have had the silly thought of shooting and editing a short MTB film or two to help get me inspired and back into the sport. (I have a decent HDD camera and editing gear... not to mention an absurd music library).

Amyway, I'm looking forward to hopefully meeting up with some of you folk soon and hitting the trails. Riding alone is getting kind of old ;)

Cheers,
    Nick

2. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Welcome aboard. Don't be shy to put in a few miles to join us on our rides.

3. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    There is a huge group of riders from out the valley way, but not a lot post here. Some do though.
    Santa Monicas are a great place to ride, but the drive for a lot of us, kind of kills it. There's nothing worse then having a great ride and then losing your riding buzz by sitting on the infamous 405 or in my case the I-10.

4. Franky

Franky DHShuttleMonkey

Welcome to the site dude. I wouldn't mind hitting the backbone trail on a weekend and spending the rest of the day kicking it at the beach. Anything to escape the heat here in the 909.

5. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    SS rider here

Some of us are in (East) Ventura County, so getting down for OC rides means getting up early. I avoid the 405 and take the 5. I have sat in 5 traffic while the CHP searches for shell casings. :eek:

Hey decepty, I don't have skills but I always volunteer for a shot.
    LINK

I said early.

[​IMG]

6. Adamski79

Adamski79 New Member

DVD Compressionist
    Welcome Nick. I'm in Burbank & ride out in the Verdugos & Santa Monicas all the time. I'll be out this Thu & Sat if you're up for it. Adam

7. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    Hey Nick, I live in Ventura County and ride near the valley ALL the time.

my email is [email protected]

Adam, where and when you going Saturday?

8. decepty

decepty New Member

Mathlete
    Cool, thanks for the heads up. I'll keep my eyes peeled for other valley riders until I can stop upgrading my bike enough to, you know, get a rack and stuff so I can join some of you guys down south.

For right now, I get to spend the next 5-7 days bikeless, as my cranks/bb failed and are getting warrantied right now. :-({|= I should be back in action soon enough (with new pedals, to boot).

9. Adamski79

Adamski79 New Member

DVD Compressionist
    Saturday mornings are best before it gets too hot. Not too sure about this Sat, but Chesbro or Sullivan's Canyon would be good. I'm open to suggestions...

10. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    how about an early saturday ride in the sullivan canyon area. i usually start at the end of reseda blvd or at caballero cyn off of reseda, but am open to other things as well.

11. Adamski79

Adamski79 New Member

DVD Compressionist
    This from an group I go riding with on Sat mornings sometimes. I plan to do this on Sat. I might be up for the Sullivan's Canyon ride on Sunday... I normally start & end at Caballero Cyn aswell. I'd like to do the loop down Sullivan's then back up to the Nike & back down to Caballero. Let me know...

This coming Saturday morning we'll be doing the Sunset singletrack. This is not a ride for the faint of heart or those who don't like steep climbs on pavement. We'll meet at the parking area on Windsor Ave (the start of the El Prieto/Brown Mountain rides) at 7:30AM and car pool the 3 miles to the Chaney trailhead in Altadena. It's a steep 2.2 mile climb on pavement to the Sunset trailhead. Portions of the singletrack are moderately to very technical; but it is a lot of fun to ride (if you don't crash!). Some may want to do a "shuttle ride" and continue down to Milard Campground, ride up the fireroad to the El Prieto trail and down that singletrack.

12. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    edit: crap, just remembered I am camping and wont be around saturday :(

13. decepty

decepty New Member

Mathlete
    I'm down to do a coming Saturday as well, but there's a 50/50 chance I won't end up getting my ride back until the end of this weekend. Truvativ are supposed to be sending my LBS some replacement cranks under warranty and when I called to inquire today I was told that it will be between 3-7 days... until the parts come in.

It sounds like most of y'all have other things set up for this weekend anyway, but I am way up for checking out Caballero on a more 'open' Saturday for everyone. I've been meaning to check it out, I live right up Reseda (like a block from CSUN).

14. El Contador

El Contador What rattle?

Hey, I had a Parkpre too. It was a 93 and got stolen! I am in East VC but Valley trails are near by. You are a stone's throw from Rocky Peak.

15. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    videos eh? uh oh yah, wecome dood! we did a cool ride in the sanra monicas a few months ago,and found a tick(different story).mt pinos is out yur way check it out,im gonna try and plan a gruopie ride that way in the future..........stay tuned...wecome.

16. decepty

decepty New Member

Mathlete
    Called to check the status and cuttin' out of work early to pick up the ride! I'm back in action!

Looks like I'll be setting up a Caballero ride in the not-too-distant future...

17. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    keep me posted! I am in!

18. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    i am in

iamin like a turd-ner....hahahaha:lol:

19. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher