The Path (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Bike Shop Reviews' started by guero, Feb 18, 2007.

1. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

yup cool weekend fo sho... that bubb brynn atkinson said whats up to me in the parking structure :lol:

2. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    ahaha!! Who was it that Andy saw?! He was like, "You're so and so, right? ... I'm Andy! I'm gonna go watch your movie!"

Or was it the same guy? That was hilarious.

3. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

same bubb.... i remember that too, freakin andy! :lol:

4. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

If someone has the pic... can they post it?
    Was Sanjay wearing a PATH Jersey? :?:
    Would love to see it....

P.S.- Luke is my Homeboy! :beer:

5. rjcornelia

rjcornelia Iron Pony

i purchased an 07 IH 6.4 frame and built it up slowly as parts came in. however, when i purchased the frame it was missing the model specific 150x12mm thru-axle (i should have checked for this in the beginning, and they shouldn't have sold it to me knowing, or at least told me.) it angered me quite a bit because this thru-axle was so hard to find, i went to multiple places because they said they didn't have it at first. meanwhile my build got delayed when i was so eager to ride. needless to say i brought the unfinished build in and they solved the issue, built my frame (exceptionally well might i add.) i just wish the process went a little smoother. i got a really good deal on the frame but the stress was through the roof (cost vs. benefit?) i'm still neutral towards the path. they have great inventory...i mean GREAT, but i'm still reluctant to refer business to my friends because of my experience. i know this isn't the story for many of you but unfortunately not everyone can have the fairytale ending and in this situation i happened to be the that little statistic. i'm sure i'll find my way back there again, hopefully experience will be better.

note: this review is no way intended to be positive or negative. i am still neutral in my opinion. it just explains a scenario.

6. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Rito- Congratulations on your new bike. :D :bang:

Whether positive, negative or neutral---- Your honesty is much appreciated!
    I am sure Tani will take the steps necessary to insure this does not happen again.

Thanks for the reminder to more carefully inspect purchases (i.e. bikes, forks, frames and parts).:clap:

Next time you visit The Shop, tell them Dino told them to give you a few FREE PATH stickers! :lol:
    No need to thank me! [-X

7. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    I have a good experience with The Path to report. I bought a middle ring at their sale 2 weeks ago. About 2 miles into the first ride, the middle ring snapped a tooth which caused the chain to bend the granny ring. All of the details are here.

I went back to The Path on Thursday with the busted middle ring in hand, told Tani the story, and he went and grabbed a new middle ring off the wall and gave it to me. No questions asked, no argument, and not even a request for my receipt.

I appreciate the no hassle service. Whether the part was defective or not, they took care of me and didn't make an issue about it. Well done. :clap:

8. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

Nice to hear BrewMaster. Its obvious Tani understands the importance of good customer service!

Yet another cheers to The Path!!!!!

:wave:

9. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I did not have the best expirence my first time( took in the bighit for repairs) but oh well. I think it was Karma, i was gonna buy a mklll from there and put down a deposit. Ran into some personal probs and never bought the bike. One year later they still honored my deposit with no receipt, so gotta respect that. If they were closer to home I would/will go back.

10. Dominicg

Dominicg noob with a Kona.

waiter
    picked up my first mtn bike from The Path today, AWESOME service! great business!

11. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Went here for lunch to tell Tani that DeeZee doesn't need his wheels anymore. I met up with Foo and bought a PC-1 SRAM chain for my SS. Always like a kid in a candy store.

12. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I agree. This situation happened to me last June. I went to The Path to order a set of custom built wheels for my DH bike (I didn't have time to build them myself). Although I didn't realize it at the time, the guy who took the order wrote down black spokes when I really wanted silver spokes.

When I went to pick up the wheels, I saw black spokes, and my heart sank. I was truly bummed. Tani checked into it, and that's when it was discovered that the wrong color of spokes was written down. To my surprise, Tani said they'd rebuild the wheels and have them back to me either later that afternoon or the next morning (I don't remember exactly, but the time frame was damned fast). I was very impressed by his resolution to attempt to quickly resolve the problem without any discussion (such as trying to talk me into black spokes or offer a discount).

In the end, after looking at the wheels for a few moments, I decided to stay with the black spokes, and now I'm glad I did. But the offer to immediately make things right still stuck with me as a very positive experience.

13. 420Moment

420Moment ...

Film & Concert Industry
    When I went in there to buy certain parts thinking they are the best bacause I see the pros using them, Tani actually told me that it's more hype than anything. He suggested things that were cheaper and in his opinion and experience much better parts. Now that's a guy who cares about his customers rather than just try to get as much $$ as he can.

I worked in the paintball industry for about 7 years selling high end paintball markers and that was the same approach I did and customers appreciated it and kept coming back.

Much respect to The Path and its crew!!

14. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    On New Years Eve Julia and I walked into The Path looking for a full face helmet (for Julia). Before we looked at the helmets we were greeted and asked if we needed anything. Next thing I know Julia is riding in the parking lot on a very expensive bike. Then Julia is being advised on a DH (IronHorse) hanging on the ceiling. They were actually pulling the frame down to show Julie.

I was really quite impressed and Julia's DH bike will certainly be purchased at The Path. Julia bought a full face helmet a Giro/Remedy. Several boxes of helmets were opened until she found the one she liked and fit.

My daughter Stef said mom this is a really cool store (she still won't MTB).

I agree it's a really cool store.

15. Winger

Winger Member

I just received another Path flyer on my car today. Is there any way to get on a mailing list or e-mail list to get these deals on a regular basis?

16. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Ok off subject, but good shops like the path deserve credit where credit is do.I took my bike to Bannings to have a spoke replaced. Charged me 5.99$ plus tax. 99 cent for the spoke and 5 $ to true it. They said it was not out of true so they charged just the standard fee. Plus the adjusted my drive train free of charge after a test ride.Now that is great service.

17. davidB

davidB Active Member

I'm no where near the path (i'm near Pasadena) so my visits are pretty spread out, however since I do most of my shopping online, The Path is sort of considered my LBS :lol: due to not liking the local stuff up here. After the demo/ride/raffle on Saturday, I was obviously in the neighborhood to visit a couple shops down there and The Path was first on the list. Reason being that I had bought a couple tires a couple months ago but never used them after reading the reviews, I wanted more of a XC tire.

However, I had no receipt, but the tires were still packaged. I asked around Saturday and no one knew for sure if I could exchange them. So off to The Path I went.

Short story even shorter, I was told they could probably pull my receipt if needed, but it never went that far, and I was able to exchange them no problem. :)

reasons why I like em: The handful of times i've been there I've never been pressured into buying anything, though I do anyway #-o. Later that day I realized I don't like that feeling when at a LBS, but that's another story. It's nice to be able to walk in and really be able to hold something and look at it before it hits the register. I haven't really had that experience anywhere else. To me it's not what they do, it's what they don't do that has me favoring them. The things lacking at the few other LBS i have gone to are what annoy me. I have yet to get that vibe at the path

18. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery
    A Big Warrior's Society Thank You

Once again The Path has continued to sponsor our Warrior's Society Events and we want to let everyone know how Thankful we are to have such a great shops support! The product to raffle off always puts a smile on a participants face! Thanks to the support of The Path we are able to put on our yearly events! Thanks Again!!

Sherry Panttaja
    Warrior's Society

19. Dominicg

Dominicg noob with a Kona.

waiter
    i just dropped my bike off today a the path for tune-up,

what awesome service!!!

:beer: :bang:

20. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    the Path is a great shop! I will be bringing in my bike for a tune up after the races this weekend.