The Official I LOVE/HATE shuttling thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by denmother, Jul 15, 2008.

1. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

I don't care what kind of bike anyone rides up or down San Juan or any other trail...ride your DH bike up Blackstar or your rigid SS down Noble...do what you like to!

just be courteous and respectful and yield the trail when you should and it's all good :)

2. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband

No, no, no ... we (other musicians) do not look down on drummers because it is an easy instrument but rather it is because the bassist seems to always have to reel the drummer back in because you guys are always trying to push the beat faster then was intended. ;)

3. Marshall Willanholly

Marshall Willanholly Active Member

Home Page:
    I thought you bassists were just pissed at us drummers because we like to detune one of your strings and then not tell you which one.:lol:

4. Stray_Bullit

Stray_Bullit The sustain..listen to it

Commercial Truck Driver, yes I do look into your c
    Wow, this is really well said! :clap: I think a lot of it comes down to this....

Not all, but many XC riders don't have what it takes to do the DH stuff. To me, basically XC riders are just roadies on the dirt instead of the street.

I could never wear the XC uniform even. Yikes! Spandex shorts and those zip up shirts... ick.

It sounds like I have a big dislike for XC riders. I don't really. Just the ones who are up their own rear ends!

Sheesh, it's just bike riding! Why all the hate? If you dig it, fantastic, just don't be lame to other bike riders. I don't give out the "hate" until it's given to me. I am quite respectful when people are nice. When they are not.... well...

5. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    What do you call the guy that hauls a rock band's equipment around in his van?

The drummer... ;)

\\:D/

6. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    In other words, another STR'er that goes both ways! :bang:

7. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    Love/Hate Shuttling

The title of this thread is Love/Hate shuttling, not whether downhilling/freeriding is a vaild form of recreation. Regardless, you have to admit, my ten reasons for shuttling are valid. I myself have shuttled under reasons 1 (sick with flu), 4(no time),5(my first ride was a shuttle), and 6(I have a 44pound bike). Don't worry, those aren't the only reasons, this list goes on and on...

STR has taught me that freeriders are way more sensitive/fragile than roadies. Too funny...

8. Marshall Willanholly

Marshall Willanholly Active Member

Home Page:
    My favorite:
    How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?''

None, they have machines to do that now.

A scientific expedition disembarks from its plane at the final outpost of civilization in the deepest Amazon rain forest. They immediately notice the ceaseless thrumming of native drums. As they venture further into the bush, the drums never stop, day or night, for weeks.The lead scientist asks one of the natives about this, and the native's only reply is "Drums good. Drums never stop. Very bad if drums stop."

The drumming continues, night and day, until one night, six weeks into the trip, when the jungle is suddenly silent. Immediately the natives run screaming from their huts, covering their ears. The scientists grab one boy and demand "What is it? The drums have stopped!"

The terror-stricken youth replies "Yes! Drums stop! Very bad!"

The scientists ask "Why? Why? What will happen?"

Wide-eyed, the boy responds, " . . . BASS SOLO!!!"

9. 1080P

1080P Banned

Dotting "i's" & crossing "t's" while balancing
    Perspective... it changes all the time. How about Equestrians that shuttle? Are they Gassholes too? Or Gasaholics sucking petrol while adding methane to our atmosphere? Should their owners carry Hefty trash bags to clean up after their pets, like in a dog park? :?: :lol:

10. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

There are less of us Downhillers than any other discipline, so we tend to get picked on!!! We're like the little helpless snot nosed kid in the school yard!:lol:

11. uzziboy

uzziboy hi Ron...it's Ron

who cares
    how about the really big kid that gets picked on because he doesnt really know how to use his size(dh), and then when he does he beats the living crap out of all those who tormented him (xc,ss,etc.) ;)

.....and I only put in parenthesis so roach wont think I am actually threating him

12. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    Um, yeah. I guess waiting at the base of the mountian figuring out which bus and lift lines will get you back to the top can be really draining. Not to mention the 2-3hrs of standing in freezing rain waiting for the race to start. Not exactly cycling induced suffering, but suffering none the less.

http://freeridefoundation.blogspot.com/2008/07/ankas-megavalanche-race-report.html

13. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    I always get a good laugh at that on :lol:

Translation:
    "Dario was getting tired of being ignored by the rest of the band - but now he had gotten himself a secret weapon"
    [​IMG]

14. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Not even going to bother.......you win, m'kay?

15. PacMan

PacMan New Member

But just because a person shuttles, it doesn't mean they aren't capable of climbing. It seemed like that's what you were insinuating.

16. JPWizard

JPWizard In search of the gnomes

Machinist
    These are valid points, but I don't really see how they relate to anything I stated in my post.

My post did clearly state technical climbing. No mention of Racing of any kind. Just riding for fun. I have more fun riding my bike, rear wheel hopping up rock walls than staring at a wall in a gym, getting run over by drunk drivers on a road bike or racing roadies on fire roads in an XC race. Climbing technical trails can SOMETIMES make you stronger and more skilled. Just give it a shot and keep in mind while you are riding.

Personally... I'd rather attain fitness by having fun hopping, jumping and playing around on every trail at all times. Mix it up. There is something more to gain than just fitness by having fun, and it's not just fun.

Racing can be serious when your lively hood relies on it, but you've got to lighten up when there is no pay check at the end of the trail. I feel that people who ONLY train are some of the most dangerous people. They are upset when somebody interrupts their training and use it to justify a holyer than thou attitude. There are plenty of successful racers that don't act that way. So, don't think I'm saying that racing is bad... Mmmkay.

It does not matter how easily one type of rider can become another. Every rider has something to gain from mixing it up.

My post had an underlying theme of being open minded. I'll make it clear. Nobody should limit themselves to training, racing, up or down. People limit themselves to a mindset, then discredit other peoples experiences through their own.:beer:

17. Clyde S Dale

Clyde S Dale New Member

I thought they were called roadies?:lol:

18. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

JP, this is what you said. This says that a truly skilled DH rider is held back by fitness and strength. I can assure you that not all skilled DH riders are held back by fitness and strength. In fact, many truly skilled DH riders have at least the same fitness and strength as most XC riders, so hardly are they held back.

I assume that you're not speaking directly to me when you suggest mixing up the types of bike riding. I'm probably one of the most diverse bike riders on this board, regulaly riding XC, DH, 4X, BMX, CX, and road (someone needs to come up with an acronym for road riding :lol:). I'm working on my unicycle riding skills, but that's coming along more slowly than surely.

The latter part of my post was directed toward others.

19. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Having read the posts in this thread and reconsidering what I stated earlier, i'd have to say the above is a good way to sum up this debate about shuttling AND the different types of MTB'ing.

20. kentonn

kentonn Rage against the Mods

If you bring a gun to a knife fight, isn't it really a gun fight? :lol: