The Official I LOVE/HATE shuttling thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by denmother, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Stray_Bullit

Stray_Bullit The sustain..listen to it

Commercial Truck Driver, yes I do look into your c
    I don't ride my bike for fitness. I ride my bike for the rush.

I love to hit jumps and drops and bomb DH runs. There is no feeling like it. If I want to excersize, I will go to the gym.

I love to shuttle, more than that, I love chairlifts!

If I have to hike-a-bike, I will.... I prefer NOT to do that though.

Look, if you love to climb, that's great!

Wheelslayer says... "any idiot can ride DOWN a hill fast. It takes a bigger idiot to ride UP a hill fast!"

2. osmarandsara

osmarandsara Active Member

For the longest time I could not understand downhillers or shuttling a trail. I have always pedaled up a hill that I eventually have ridden down.....I don't know any other way....its just something I have always done on a mountain bike.

However, I am also blessed to have the time to ride, easy access to my local trails, and a decent amount of fitness and endurance.

During one of the last Southridge races I rode my XC bike up to the Water Tank to watch the downhillers practice their runs.......When I got to the top one thing I noticed was the great diversity in terms of body sizes, ages, etc.

There were a few XC riders in the group that I recognized, but by and large there were others up on that hill that probably would not have fun riding the XC course that day.

There was this one dude who was probably close to 280-300 lbs. and I watched him bomb down the course so gracefully......next I watched these 10 yr. old kids go down the course and maneuver down the rollers and drops so expertly they could have taught me a thing or two.....and on and on different riders took their turns going down the DH course.....

I got a very different perspective that day....which is that everyone is entitled to go out and get that rush that XC riders take for granted when we pedal up those hills in order to bomb down that sweet single track on the other side......

3. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

You just might have seen denmother, allison, mechmann, maxwell and I out there racing both on that weekend...doing both races in one weekend defintely gave me the perspective to appreciate the unique challenges of both disciplines :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2008
  4. JPWizard

JPWizard In search of the gnomes

Machinist
    I think it's important for people to give all types of riding(except road) a try.

A DH'er can seriously benefit from some technical climbing. It can give you an egde on fitness that you won't get from other types of training. A truely skilled DH rider is only held back by fitness and strength.

An XC'er can get an edge on skill by focusing on maneuvers while shuttling the same trail several times in one day or when soil conditions are different. A truely fit XC rider is only held back by skill(and probably a danger)

I'll be the odd man out and suggest that everybody could benefit from Trials riding (obstical coarse) and even unicycling. You will never walk again.

Before I got this evil thing called a career, and I had the time to ride all that I could physically handle, I only rode a DH bike. It was my trusty stead. I never even used my AM anymore. I eventually sold everything except my DH and trials bike. I still did the all day epic rides that I did when I first got into riding on a rigid entry level bike. Now days I'm not fit enough to pedal a heavy single chainring bike up hills for hours. I've built the arsenal back up and look forward to any chance to get away.

5. J_Sims

J_Sims tattooed scumbag !!!

Sales and Marketing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :bang::bang::bang::bang:

That was toooo much fun if you can arrange the snow I will see you there

6. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I fixed that for you.

Fortunately, if the DH riders wanted to do something more monotonous such as racing XC, fitness is easily attained through extensive repetitive riding on hills or on the road. ;) It's a bit more difficult for many XC racers to become competent or brave enough to race DH.

7. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Well said!

Most of my DHing buds climb like freak'n goats. Most of the time they'll tell you that the don't really like climbing, but don't let them fool you.
    On a great trail ride, the DH is always worth the long climb up.
    As with you, I was so used pedaling around on my 39lb Kona Stinky that I didn't really need another bike.

Even raced XC on it!

[​IMG]

Lee, a good XC race is never really "that" boring.
    It all depends on the course you're racing on.
    Lot's of fireroad up & down = not so much fun.
    Fireroad climbs to the nice singletrack, where you have to work to pass other riders = lot's of FUN!

That's why I like Super D racing!

8. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    i don't hate shuttlers. i just feel better when they're not around...
    that's why i don't ride the sjt on the weekend anymore.

9. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    reasons for shuttling

Shuttling plays an important role in mountain biking. Below is a short list of reasons to shuttle:

1) you are sick.
    2) you are really old and the doctor has advised you to "take it easy".
    3) you are really young and the only hobbies you have are playing video games and watching freeride videos.
    4) you don't have enough time to do a real ride.
    5) you've never riden a moutain bike before.
    6) you only have one bike and it weighs 50 pounds.
    7) you don't know how to raise your saddle.
    8) you prefer driving a car over riding a bike.
    9) you are obese.
    10) you can't suffer.

For these reasons alone, shuttling will never die.

10. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Fixed it for you

3) you are really young and the only hobbies you have are playing video games watching freeride videos, and racing RC cars.

11. cow

cow Resident bovine

Some sort of computer crap
    Why does it matter?

Why does it matter how others get up the hill? The only part that matters, is how courteous they are to other trail users on their way down.

Some people love the climb. Some love the descent. Some love both. Some can't make up their mind and flip flop between the two. They all love riding, and thats the ONLY important part.

-Mike

12. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

I resemble that remark!! ;)

Although, I went XC --> DH --> XC and DH again!

13. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I don't think so! While it may have been difficult for you, it doesn't show! You certainly have skills, and you're certainly brave (I've seen you ride). :clap:

14. Marshall Willanholly

Marshall Willanholly Active Member

Home Page:
    A few reasons why one would be dismissive of the way others choose to enjoy themselves on a bike:

1) You have a fragile ego, and the only way you've found to pump it up is to put others down.
    2)You were picked on a lot growing up, and being a jerk on the internet helps you feel like you've "turned the tables."
    3)You get a thrill out of making others pissed off on internet message boards, in which case thanks for being here and making STR that much less enjoyable.

Seriously, I don't understand the need to disparage a certain aspect of cycling. I love riding my bike. Currently I enjoy downhilling, but that doesn't preclude me from respecting other forms of cycling. I read the ride reports from Vision Quest and am amazed and what those riders accomplished. I enjoy seeing my friends do well in their XC and 4X races. I've been bitten by the BMX bug, and look forward to working on those skills. I've gotten up early every morning for the last weeks to catch the coverage of the Tour before I head off to work. To me it's all bicycles and it's all good.

I will make an analogy to my profession in music. I play percussion (drums). Many people, including some musicians, look down on the drums as an easy instrument. Perhaps it is because anyone can hit a drum and make a sound while they can't pick up an oboe or french horn and even get a squeek. What I've found is the better the quality of musicians I work with, the more they have respect for all other musicians. They understand that while the learning curve for some instruments is steeper in the beginning, to truly become proficient at making music is equally difficult on any instrument.

I think it is the same in cycling. I've had the good fortune to meet and ride with a number of talented and well-respected riders. I've never heard any of them be dismissive of cycling disciplines other than what they've chosen. In my experience, both in music and cycling, those at the top who love what they do are some of the most encouraging and positive people I've met.

Should I need the opposite, I can always log on to STR.

15. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

^^:clap::clap::clap:

16. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Is anyone curing cancer here?

Why take things so seriously. Those that are getting upset because someone doesn't like your style of riding need to take a self affirmation course.

Those that find the need to put down another form of riding need to stop worrying about their penis size and projecting their deficiencies on STR.

Those of us that find the need to comment on this should just avoid this thread :lol:

17. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Every DH race I've done has been tough. Mammoth 2005...5:30 minutes of anaerobic, heart pumping out of your chest, cotton mouth, jello legs madness...

Ever heard of Megavalanche? I encourage you to read Anka Martin's race report...tell me that's not suffering.

Lots of DH riders/racers also ride XC, road, trail and climb our fair share.

Now everyone go out and ride your bikes :beer:

18. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

This thread is taking up precious space on the already overcrowded www.internet. Please waste bytes using more thought provoking and more meaningful subjects. Thank you!

Just stay out of the San Gabes (up or down) and we'll get along just fine! ;)

19. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Thank you!

:bang:

posters FREAKED OUT when I said SJT was not a DH run.

STR's.....don't take things (and yourself) too serious.......have fun.....stay thirsty

:):):):):):) (six smileys)

20. Stray_Bullit

Stray_Bullit The sustain..listen to it

Commercial Truck Driver, yes I do look into your c
    I'd rather push my DH bike uphill than ride an XC bike any day of the week.

If you are an XC rider, that's great! I don't "hate" you. At least you are out there on a bike.