The Mysterious Search Tab

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by Waldo, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I often see the Mods, especially DenMo who seems to be the Queen of the STR Search, posting suggestions about searching for existing topics before starting new threads.

Granted, I've been guilty of this too (I hope I'm not doing it now!), but I think it might help if the main Search tab worked regardless of what page you're on. As DenMo pointed out to me today, it works if you're on the home page, but if not then it doesn't work at all - though it still acts like a live link. From any other page, you have to use the other search link further down the page. No big deal, and that link offers more options, I just think it's a little confusing to have two Search links visible on one page.

I know people will always repeat some of the common questions but I bet that having that tab working consitently might help with some.

Gracias.
    :beer:

2. simonmtb

simonmtb Digging for fun.

riding my bike and cooking dinner for the wife
    :lol: One of the great mysteries of STR.

3. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    If you know the forum in which to search from for example, a RR or a workshop question, then doing the search in that forum will be more specific to that forum. Otherwise the "keyword" typed in will get a hit in every forum if used on the main page.

4. graves.z

graves.z Enduro Plebe

Quality Assurance Technician
    Just to play devils advocate here for a sec:

I understand that the "which tire is best" and "When is this race that there have been 12 different threads about today" questions can get tiresome, but we all have questions at some time and they have all almost always been answered somewhere on some forum. So isn't telling someone to "use the search feature" akin to telling them "we know your new and have questions, but please use the search feature as we don't really want you to interact with our community unless you have something new to say"? Which to me seems to be the antithesis of a web community like ours.

Also the search tab at the very top only displays the magnifying glass icon when on the main page but if I click on it ie crashes. Is this normal?

5. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

6 dozen of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other. :lol:

That's why I do a search and include the links. I hate having to say the same thing over and over and over and over and over.......Oh, sorry I am repeating myself. ;)

I am a computer geek and spend my entire time in front of a computer (oh, and I read manuals too). Yeah, and I used to work on several help desks and call centers too! #-o

If I use the search tab on the home page, it works, if I use it on any other page it does nothing (I do however get the get yellow warning triangle and the "Error on page" notice in the lower left hand corner and I am using IE 7).

6. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

To the devil's advocate (only because playing with Satan is so fun), I'm not sure that this is a correct assumption.

Sure, the newbies won't know about the kinks of the "search" button, nor perhaps how to use it; that is why we have the lovely mods who read manuals and such, to enlighten us plebs.

It seems that teaching them about the search is an optimal introduction, as you can get the info you desire so much faster than asking a question and waiting for someone to log on then respond.

Plus, unless the topic has been closed, which most genuine questions are not, you can "re-open" the topic by posting any additional questions that you may have.

**I will only post this once :lol:

7. denmother

8. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Ronin

Cog in the federal justice machine
    Home Page:
    I noticed the search function is kind of buggy, but I'm one of those people that tries to use it, because the less I have to interact with y'all the better ;) :lol: :lol:

9. butasan

butasan Member

Javascript bug. It should easily be fixed.

10. CalEpic

CalEpic member

The small button on the brown header with the drop down arrow can be used from any forum and has advanced search features if needed. It's the only one I use.

The reason to use the search function rather than have the same question asked continually, or the same information posted continually is that the information remains in one thread. (Useful during a search) Think of it like a filing cabinet. Would you want your tax records in 5 different files?

Now, if we could search for words with 3 letters or less we'd really be on to something :)

11. denmother

Hence the reason to use the other Search Tab!!! That's why I use it more than the other one (especially when I can't find things). As an example using "BMX":

SoCalTrailRiders - Perris BMX practice 1/6

The premier mountain biking community in Southern California.
    www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=2613...

07 Intense Pro XL BMX Complete Bike - SoCalTrailRiders

9 posts - 6 authors
    Reload this Page 07 Intense Pro XL BMX Complete Bike ... I'm Not Into Bmx Riding.. Sweet Deal.. Good Luck On The Sale. ...
    www.socaltrailriders.org/.../17729-07-intense-pro-xl-bmx-complete-bike.html

Want to Buy: 24" BMX BIKE - SoCalTrailRiders

7 posts - 5 authors
    Looking for a 24" BMX bike. I am on a budget so I don't have a lot to spend. Just looking for something decent that I can ride with my kid. Let me know if.
    www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/market.../33284-want-buy-24-bmx-bike.html

My new BMX bike! - SoCalTrailRiders

So I got a dk 6 pack ... b-day gift from my parents! Keith B takes her for a spin:
    www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/general.../5753-my-new-bmx-bike.html

Perris BMX - MTB Bikes - Monday eve's - SoCalTrailRiders

So a bunch of friends and i met at the perris BMX track last monday and we had a blast. We brought our MTB 's and hoped for the best. So Much fun.
    www.socaltrailriders.org/.../44879-perris-bmx-mountain-bike-bikes-monday-eves.html

NEW BMX Cruiser for roadkill - SoCalTrailRiders

12 posts - 7 authors
    well, saw it come into work today, and had to pick it up for the price it was at. i was planning a Dj build but would of cost me well over the money i put ...
    www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/.../6575-new-bmx-cruiser-roadkill.html

Whittier Narrows BMX - Tues, Nov3, 6-9pm - SoCalTrailRiders

Let's roll! Here's the track's website with info, directions, etc. http://www.whittiernarrowsbmx.com/ Need to wear full pants and long sleeve shirt. I wore.
    www.socaltrailriders.org/.../43402-whittier-narrows-bmx-tues-nov3-6-9pm.html

New BMX only bike shop opening in South O.C. - SoCalTrailRiders

5 posts - 4 authors
    Just thought I would give a plug for this shop. Morning Ride BMX is celebrating it's grand opening August 16th. This is a shop that will cater mostly to ...
    www.socaltrailriders.org/.../22486-new-bmx-only-bike-shop-opening-south-o-c.html

12. CalEpic

CalEpic member

See, I knew you'd make a great moderator :clap:

Thanks

13. denmother

I'm deeply hurt! :lol: BTW, how's the healing coming???

14. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Ronin

Home Page:
    I'm glad someone realized I was being funny. Actually, I use the search function simply because I am one of those people who doesn't like "clutter." (I liked Craig's file cabinet analogy :) )

The healing is slow going. I think if I had a different job it would be healing faster; I know my job is just irritating it daily. The shoulder separation just feels weird. What hurts is the tendon torn in that same shoulder. My hip is okay-- the bruise is long gone but the hematoma is still there which makes it a bit tender to the touch sometimes.

Putting pressure on that shoulder is the biggest issue right now. I can last about 30 min on the trainer with it, but I still can't actually lay on that side w/o bad pain. I am considering a brief 1 hr ride out at Sycamore in 2 weeks to see how it does. Don't want to make it worse.

Thanks for asking! :)

15. DaBuDa

DaBuDa Banned

Student

Mama always said if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all. :D

16. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    FWIW: I realize that the search function in the brown header works great. I just wonder how many people - especially those who are new to this forum - notice it when there is a bold tab at the top, or don't get that there's a difference between the two.

17. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Ronin

Home Page:
    I think that might come down to how computer savvy someone is. I figured it out the first week I joined, but then again I'm a big nerd and bothered to look.

18. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    I think it only bugs the Mods b/c they now have to merge the threads....lol....
    which takes more effort....
    merging threads or going and searching what the noobie is looking for and posting the same ole post about learning to use the search option?

This has a LOT to do w/ it

19. stinky180

stinky180 Will make it Reign....

upper search button

only works in home page... just fyi

20. butasan

butasan Member

Links to external javascript files are missing in other pages.

<script type="text/javascript" src="/js/highslide.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="/js/highslide-html.js"></script>

The search tab kicks the function called "htmlExpand", but it can't find it since above links(containing javascript functions) are missing.

Who do we ask to fix this?