The Luge

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by kioti, Nov 29, 2008.

1. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    The Luge is in prime shape after this week's storm. Two to three days of (mostly) light rain has put the finishing touch on the trail. All the loose, powdery dirt from the summer's restoration has consolidated into a firm tread. The berms are compacting and beginning to hold up to banked turns. The line is establishing itself so that groundcover can grow back to result in a narrow singletrack. Most riders let the trail dry out a bit overnight on Thanksgiving Day, then packed the damp soil with their tires on Friday. All we need now are plants.

2. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    Still never ridden the luge, I need to check it out.

3. kevinator

kevinator Staying hydrated

Just rode it today...

There's some braking bumps starting to develop at the top but the rest of it is the best I've seen in 6 years. Now's the time to ride it before it becomes powderized again.

4. mtbkr1202

mtbkr1202 New Member

Where's the luge at?

5. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    I'm not sure, I think it's by cooks corner, behind whiting. I've never been but I'd be down for a first time run.

6. tortoise

tortoise Member

7. pitmang1

pitmang1 Member

Just rode it today for the first time since before the fires.
    I hope we get some more rain and some regrowth soon.
    The little gap at the top isn't how it was, but that will get fixed next time I'm there if not before.
    I want to thank whoever did the re-route at the bottom, it's great. Caught me a little off guard but those berms are way more fun than the end used to be.

8. kioti

kioti Active Member

That would be me, and I'm glad you liked those berms. I've been working on the trail (with a little help from my friends, and the forest service) since the fire. It seemed to fall under the radar, and I was afraid we were going to lose it. Can you imagine not having the Luge?

We've been working on the Santiago Truck Trail, too, after the grading that was done. Wanna help?

9. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Luge is Spectacular .... thank for all that worked it! :)

10. pitmang1

pitmang1 Member

Thanks for all your hard work.
    I've always got a shovel in my truck. I'm down to work on STT whenever you need help.

11. kioti

kioti Active Member

You're not a serial killer, are you? If so, I could see how driving around with a shovel could come in handy. Real handy. (I'm just asking.)

Anyway, if you're thanking me, you're also thanking the forest service, who allowed the work, along with a bunch of volunteers including members of the (I hope this doesn't get me whacked) Mountainbike Mafia, the Warrior's Society, and the OC Riders.

I'd be happy to have your help. I just got back from Old Camp and the STT is in great shape. Its fast again. But I've got a couple projects in mind to make it even better. (Too bad we can't put the canopy back.)

Send me a PM with your info. Anybody else who wants to help should do the same. Meanwhile, in order to ensure the continued 'open' status of forest trails, lets keep random acts of trailwork to a minimum, stay on the existing trails, and only work on open trails on forest service approved projects. Thanks again. See you out there.

12. KonaDupee

KonaDupee Soon to be Konaless Dupee

teacher
    While I had never ridden the Luge before the fires, I have heard nothing but good things about the re-route at the bottom. All in all, the Luge is in spectacular shape. I've gotten to ride it three times since it opened, and it's gotten better each time.

Though I can't deny that coming down it with suspension is SO much more fun than rigid! Rigid is a bit of a taint puckerer. :lol:

13. CalEpic

CalEpic member

I'm sure you've heard this a lot, but I'll say it again - thanks for all your hard work. If you want an army of volunteers (me included) just post a trailwork date in the Trailhead or General Discussion forum.

14. poy

poy New Member

RN
    i just rode the luge saturday for the first time and i enjoyed it so much i went again sunday! its hard to believe that the whole place was on fire last year! but let me tell you it was in excellent condition. i thought the rain did it well but i just read that people fixed it. Thanks for who ever was responsible for the repair.

15. Butcher

Butcher aka Randy

Sales
    Jim, thanks for the guidance and leadership. The Mafia is always there for you.

16. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Luge is in great shape. Rode it Saturday. That rain done wonders and I was happy to clean puke hill on the one gear bike. Though, even with the great conditions on the Luge riding rigid is rough! I have new respect for you rigid riders as my arms were on fire half way down the Luge.

17. poy

poy New Member

RN
    you rode that rigid!? o man! i was on full sus and i was begging for a break on the luge! my triceps were burning! goes to show how out of shape i was!

18. Royster71

Royster71 Member

Manager @ Costco
    The Luge is freaking sweet right now!! The rain really helped it out. I helped working on it to. Its nice to see it pay off. Went through Whiting today different story though. They closed it later in the day. It needs some water breaks through Cactus. If anyone is going to work in there and has permission count me in. Email me [email protected] it sure is nice to have whiting to the luge combo back again though!

19. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    Jim, the rework you did is Awesome. good job it was a pleasure working on the trail with you.

20. jonny427

jonny427 Botox User

Biomedical Engineer
    I just rode the Luge this afternoon... man it is SWEET. Thanks again to everyone who rebuilt the whole trail. Again, if any group needs volunteer help, post up a thread so I can come help!