"The Luge" 7/6/2012

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by HardtailBlazer, Jul 6, 2012.

1. OnYourLeft

OnYourLeft New Member

Just ride kids. Strava is cool (and has its place...don't like it?... then don't use it!), hard tails are cool, FS bikes are great and heck, rigids are a good time too. Cameras are fun, the Luge is a good time, Old Camp is a good climb...I could keep going, but you get it....because you are a smart person! Point is, just enjoy riding and whatever makes it fun for you. No need to chest pound though because there is always someone better than you. Real athletes climb though... and my times are a lot stronger than yours! Oops, did I just do that? :)

Good job on that video...very cool!

2. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    Once again, STRAVA IS NOT ACCURATE!!!! I used to wonder how some guys break 3 mins down the Luge and could never grasp the idea of what kind of speed it takes to get down. One day my buddy and I went down the Luge together (he lead because he's a tad bit faster than me) and when we uploaded our ride we had a 30 second or so difference when I was about only 5 seconds behind. So that's when another buddy pointed out the waypoints. His run stopped recording right before the bottom switchbacks while my run recorded the whole way. That's when I started to look at the top 10-20 Luge times on Strava more in depth and see that all of these guys' times were stopped either before or way before the bottom switchbacks. As for your run, and according to the map on Strava, your run stopped recording way before the bottom switchbacks. You can verify by clicking on the segment, go to the map, switch to satellite, and zoom in to see where your time stopped. Sorry to burst your bubble but 1)STRAVA sucks, 2) I never understood why people do post their Strava times, 3) I don't really care what other's Strava time is (unless it's my buddy's). I did make an exception to look at your Strava time just to point out how inaccurate it is. If you want true time, then go with the camera's time.

3. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

my bubble is still full of good times regaurdless of this luge time discrepancy! my mistake for bringing the times into play, i take responsibility for that! this is a really helpful post though I thank you for taking the time to explain the way strava waypoints work and how to check into it myself!

4. coolbreeze

coolbreeze Looking for the gun show?

Hill Climber
    Nothing wrong with bringing the times in to play. We all do it as we try to better ourselves. I'm still chasing that 3:30 mark.

5. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

And a couple more cents, GPS has a terrible time with the "Luge to Creekbed" segment, and so does Strava, because of the canyon, trees and switchbacks relative to where the segment end is. Very hit and miss on accuracy and as Jonathan said many of the fast times are just cut short by Strava (but "THE LUGE" segment is not so bad accuracy-wise since it ends well after the climb out of the creekbed, and "first .8 miles of luge" is good too).

Strava can actually be quite accurate on other segments where the segment end has a clear overhead sight and fairly straight end point.

Having said that, Strava can deter from a "fun ride" and mostly I try to forget about it while riding. But still use it to track mileage/elevation gain and if I'm improving on the climbs (yeah, and sometimes the downs if I'm feelin' it.. but trail courtesy and safety always trumps Strava).

Oh yeah, loved the earbuds swinging around in your vid! Glad they weren't in your ears at that point!

6. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

The "luge to the creekbed" and "The Luge" fastest times are held by the same guy? In fact it looks like all the fast times for the DH"s around there are held by the same handful of guys? Your saying all their times are wrong? Also, while I do like the tracking ability of Strava I find myself purposely leaving my GPS at home quite a bit lately.

7. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

I do enjoy using strava but when it comes down to it, its stupid lol i really like riding my bike out in the wilderness with my brother and getting faster/more fit while doing it...with that said ive only been biking for 11 months so its a really good tool for me to track my progression and it does help with setting new goals and hopefully achieving them..then on to the next..which is a big benefit to my cycling!

8. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Only sucks if you buy into it...the less I focus on time the more of a fun time I have....but I would be lying if I don't like to push myself here and there

Ohh BTW OP nice run...but I don't have a new angle to comment on the angle

9. dcrfx

dcrfx Member

Didn't intend to say they are all wrong,, just that the "to creekbed" times may not be accurate and a few of the top times I looked at awhile back stopped tracking at .8 miles so were definetly shorter time-wise than the true to-creekbed time (as measured by a camera or stopwatch). Sure those guys are fast if they show up on top of the other segments that tend to be more GPS/Strava accurate than the to-creekbed segment.:wave:

10. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Must be a Motolite, yeah? My wife has one and LOVES it. She has loaned it to a couple of other riders who have also loved it. Titus used to be one of the "gotta have" bikes. Then Cocalis started Pivot, and Titus disappeared for a year and fell off the radar screen.

If I do see you out there, I'm kinda hard to miss. 6'4" guy an an XL turquoise and white Yeti 575. No STRAVA for me though...

:beer:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012
  11. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

Yupp have a Motolite! and I love the thing!I came off a hardtail..hence my name..so it was a really nice transition to full suspension for me, plus its built in the U.S. which is awesome!Climbing goes pretty well on it, and I have a 140mm revelation making it pretty fun on the downhills! The 575 is a sweet bike especially in the turquoise! see ya out there!

12. guero

guero iFroth

i bet you guys could shave 1-2 seconds off your times if you hit the gap jump towards the top of the luge.

13. Teebird

Teebird A band-aid isn't going to work this time

uncleb, do not worry. All the guys talking Strava-smack will be wearing Sho-Air jerseys and Mandex shorts so they will be very easy to spot. They will not talk to you on their ride and will not indicate when they are on your left. They are much better riders than you and I are so there is no reason for them talk to lowly people like us.
    That is all.