"The Luge" 7/6/2012

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by HardtailBlazer, Jul 6, 2012.

1. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

Headed out to old camp and the luge today, had a really fun time even though it was getting pretty hot( I left at 11:30)! Forgot the chest mount so i had to bare with the crouch mount for this video session figured others would find it to be interesting. It has beenextremely dry/loose up there as you can see in the video especially up towards old camp, had a chain came off towards the end so i couldn't pedal the last swtichbacks!Below is a link to my strava for the ride..it claims this run to be 3:03 for the segment luge(flag to creek bottom all dh)..Hope everyone has been having enjoyable rides out there!

[video=youtube_share;fMfxdSjSlF8]http://youtu.be/fMfxdSjSlF8[/video]

Strava:http://app.strava.com/rides/12665836

2. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    That video makes me feel like a total dick!

:steppie:

3. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    That's a good one..

4. Team Smitty

Team Smitty MVP CYCLE CENTER

Dirtector of composite structures
    C.O.C.K and B.A.L.L.S technology at work....sooo smoooth

5. tortoise

tortoise Member

Junk View.

6. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

haha i should of known the "super D" view was going to bring on the dirty talk!

7. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    kinda left me hangin:?:
    cool perspective!

8. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    So it has a name "Super D" maybe you should stop now before things get worse.

9. WC-Rider

WC-Rider New Member

Talk about letting them hang... Lol

10. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Nice run for sure, but it ain't no 3:03. Your run was 3:40+ from flag to creek bottom, unless your camera is lying. Still pretty damn quick. STRAVA must be way off. I've busted my ass on the Luge on the ragged edge of sanity and could only muster a 3:28, using a camera as stopwatch. 3:03 would look a whole lot different. Still, good on ya and thanks for posting. Interesting dangle angle...

11. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

I ride the luge 3 to 4 times a week and receive under 3:30 consistently. Just to be clear this is on the luge (flag to creek bed all DH) segment..I defiantly do not trust strava timing though its always all over the place, its not perfect, but today it said 3:03, my best before that was 3:18, and recently i have been riding it ALOT and getting faster every time. I think its defiantly with in reason but not guaranteed. As far as the length of the video I have no idea where that segment exactly starts or exactly endds etc... etc.....its looking like we have a conspiracy theory on our hands lol.

12. Rivet

Rivet Active Member

I don't know, looking at his other times on Strava dude seems like he can drive a bike pretty fast. Just remember, one mans "ragged edge of sanity" is anothers "I was just cruising". Are you sure it's not just sour grapes? Also, cameras flatten and slow things down

13. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    I understand all three of your points - the guy is pretty fast, cameras flatten terrain, and one man's ragged edge is another man's cruising. However, the time on the camera doesn't lie, does it?

Here's a run of almost the exact same time. He starts from the flag 5 seconds after the video starts and hits the creek bed about 3:46 (take off the 5 seconds at the start and you have 3:41). Sorry I didn't imbed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vG5vGASlJ0

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2012
  14. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

strava is lame anyways. go out there and have fun

15. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Your video starts when you are already below the flag, and if you stop it at the creek bottom it's about 3:39. Add 3 seconds for the drop from the flag to where the video starts. 3:18 is smokin' fast from flag to creek bottom. I would love to try to tag along when you are running that speed. Dropping 15 seconds off of that would be absolute nuts - and even from the ball-sack cam perspective, the terrain would be FLYING by and the bike would be leaning over hard in the turns... At 3:03 speed, the little climb 2/3rd of the way down would look like nothing but a quick flick of the bike.

I have no doubt you have The Luge dialed, but that run was about 3:42. Great speed, especially for having a chain problem. :bang:

You're not really on a hard tail (as your screen name implies) on that run are you? My buddy runs The Luge on his Scott Scale hard tail and smokes it pretty good - around 3:45ish. Kudos to you even more if you are posting those speeds on a HT.

16. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

Herzalot you have really done a lotta work to discredit my run all while comparing my run with yours and your friends times in hopes of finding some justification, i came from old camp there is no flag drop in . It's really simple, Strava recorded that time a 3:03, not sure how sitting on your computer counting the seconds tic by on my run is more accurate than a gps device. Strava is not 30 seconds off no matter which way you look at it. no I'm not on a hard tail I'm on a 5.5 inch travel bike defiantly no dh rig. I have ridden the luge 5 of my 6 last rides and haven't got above 3:30 on that segment I guarantee we wouldn't be having this dialogue if it was filmed with a chest mount that everyone is used to seeing. Here's a thought...get your buddies..go ride the luge, and see how close you get to that time I would like to see it! Or just let me know next time your hitting the luge and I will show you how I get down

17. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    Cool. You are right - I don't believe 3:03. Your video starts on The Luge - not on Old Camp.

I do believe you are fast and have the run dialed as I said repeatedly. No harm meant. I do hope to chase you down the run sometime - it would be a blast.

:wave:

18. HardtailBlazer

HardtailBlazer Member

I fell ya Herzalot! sucks how strava makes bicyling so competitive, my bad for throwing that into the thread/getting a little defensive! The timing is defiantly questionable, I think it was slower than it reported but 30 seconds would really be a lot. I look forward to seeing you out there some time I have a yellow Titus prob the only dude with one out there!

19. uncleb

uncleb Hopin' and Prayin'

I have recently gotten back into mountain biking after around a 7-8 year hiatus. Is this seriously what it has evolved to in that time? Arguing about whether someone got down a hill in 3 minutes vs 3 1/2 minutes. Very sad.

B

20. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

thats strava for you, its all about time now, sucks