The forbidden San Gabs

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by dstepper, Apr 19, 2009.

1. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    A sad play on words from Sean's (GP Pilot) excellent reports from the trails on the eastern (back) side of the San Gabs.

Spent some time today taking to Dan who is the trail surveyor for the Angles National Forest. It appears that a section of the Burkhart Trail is now in the new wilderness protection act the president signed a week or two ago. The new maps are not out and he is unsure of how much of the trail is effected but for sure the upper part below Buckhorn Station to past Rattlesnake Canyon. The lower trailhead coming out of Devils Punchbowl to Southridge will remain open to bikes. The Forest Service will not be doing any maintenance to the washed out scree areas near Rattlesnake Canyon. It will be some time before the no bike signs are up but Dan is recommending that the trail be closed (abandoned) because he believes it is not sustainable and is dangerous.

Another sad day for us who like backcounty riding.

Dean

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Piranha

Piranha Member

I agree Dean, it is another sad day, what a shame. That "was" a pristine area to ride. I am going to miss it. Jeez, pretty soon we'll be relegated to riding the streets and bike paths.
    I think it's about time we all vote politicians like Senator Barbara Boxer and Rep. Howard P. "Buck" McKeon, R-Santa Clarita out of office since they're the ones who propsed legislation in the House and Senate to designate more than 41,000 acres of mountains and canyons in the San Gabriel Mountains as wilderness.
    These two politicians who supposedly have our best interests at heart have proven they are not MTB friendly. I don't know about you, but they certainly DO NOT represent my best interests, nor most if not all the MTBers I know!!!

3. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

Wilderness gets voted in by people who don't use the backcountry.

Yes, there are plenty of backpackers and equestrians who vote for Wilderness, but by and large, the general populace thinks Wilderness is cool because they don't understand the implications of Wilderness designation.

When you and your artsy 'enlightened' friends are sitting in a coffee shop being philosophical, Wilderness sounds like a great idea. Those of us who use the trails know the difference.

4. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

But wait! There's more!

If the Wilderness Act were amended to exclude MOTORized transportation instead of excluding MECHANized transportation, as it now does, I think we'd have different views about Wilderness designation.

I personally would still be opposed to more Wilderness, as I think we've already locked up enough land. I also enjoy using a 4X4 to explore (not "trash" "thrash" or "tear up," mind you) the backcountry.

Dean, do I understand correctly that the Forest Service wants to let the Burkhart Trail disappear altogether?

5. panteratwork

panteratwork Member

Bikes/Music/Film
    dude lets go do one last ride i've never neen but heard of it! common common ill take next wednesday off!