The end of the season for the HIGH SCHOOL MTB RACE Series!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Fullerton Mike, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

If you like bike events/races this was the weekend! there was so much going no one could even keep track. For starters you had Fontana, Rwanda, Kenda Cup, Whiskey 50, Belgian Waffle road ride, High School MTB race and a few other road races.. WOW crazy. Well we headed out to the last race of the So Cal Dirt MTB race #5 and The Dirt Club, Los Olivos. Well it was packed full house. On Saturday they held race #2 of the Jr High events had 90 riders. Looks like next year they will have 4-5 races.. I must admit these guys run a good good event... We are looking forward to next year for sure. Team Diamond Bar had a great showing and the team camp was huge! These guys are all about the fun and the events for sure. Here are a few photos. Thanks for reading

His dad said they will be back next year for sure!

[​IMG]
    685R5030 by Fullerton Bikes, on Flickr

Each race he proved he can get faster

[​IMG]
    685R5026 by Fullerton Bikes, on Flickr

What a great course they have a killer duel/4cross track that they let the racers ride as part of the course

[​IMG]
    685R5016 by Fullerton Bikes, on Flickr

After his big crit win last week the bosses son was on fire!

[​IMG]
    685R5007 by Fullerton Bikes, on Flickr

Pushing his own limits every race

[​IMG]
    685R4993 by Fullerton Bikes, on Flickr

Not his best performance but he knows what it takes to be on top

[​IMG]
    685R4989 by Fullerton Bikes, on Flickr

THE DB train!

[​IMG]
    685R4967 by Fullerton Bikes, on Flickr

I like the logo on the arm

[​IMG]
    685R4959 by Fullerton Bikes, on Flickr

Berm Shoot BRAPPPPP

[​IMG]
    685R4941 by Fullerton Bikes, on Flickr

Look so focused and he will be a top finisher next year for sure

[​IMG]
    685R4923 by Fullerton Bikes, on Flickr

GO and that is it for the season!

[​IMG]
    685R4898 by Fullerton Bikes, on Flickr

2. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Why don't more schools participate in high school mountain bike racing events?

-Cost?
    -Liability?
    -Requires special approval from school Administartors (that may be denied)
    -Do districts / schools limit the number of sports?

3. templar

templar Member

Database, UNIX consultant
    I think the biggest reason, is that it's not a CIF sanctioned sport. But with mountain biking gaining in popularity, over time it can find it's way into schools similar to surfing. It's a shame that schools like Aliso Niguel HS, which is literately minutes (walking distance) from the Aliso Woods trails doesn't have a larger presence in the sport.
    And a lot of HS athletes participate in their respective sports for college scholarships and unfortunately there's no college scholarships for mtb. :(

4. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    I know we had a younger member from STR attend a university back east and I thought he got a partial scholarship. Granted this is not huge money, nor is it Notre Dame, but here's some hope for these riders - http://www.scholarshipstats.com/cycling.html .

It looks like as long as the sport rises to varsity level the money is there. Having guided two through the scholarship process, I know that every penny helps.

5. redwoods

redwoods Active Member

teacher
    Dino, add time to that list. I wish I had the time to devote to getting something going where I work. Then I could start to battle the other thing on that list. Alas, it's just not realistic for me.

It is really cool to see and hear about these HS/JrH teams/clubs getting kids into riding dirt.:clap::bang:

6. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    For once, something I am responding to for which I have some actual knowledge. First time for everything...

To answer your questions in order: no, no, no and no (except for maintaining a Title IX balance).

High school mountain biking would be much like high school roller hockey - a club sport run entirely by the league/rink and having almost nothing to do with the high school. Believe me peeps, this is a good thing. You do not want CIF or school district restrictions and liability involved in HS mtb.

To wit: Our roller hockey team is well regarded and has won some league championships. There is no administrative involvement of any kind in selecting the coach, providing a facility, determining eligibility, managing disputes, collecting fees - excuse me, donations - (Fees are illegal). They wear jerseys proudly displaying their school and school colors, their successes and games are announced over the PA, they buy a page in the school yearbook. Win win win!!!

My school does not have a mtb team because there has been no interest on the part of faculty or a student in starting one. That is all. In my position, I cannot do so. We have had one mid-level pro DHer, and I do have about six or seven staff members who are avid riders (or Shimano - not sure which).

So - Dino - if a student or staff member at my school wants to start one, they can. Just don't try to get the HS MtB leagues mixed up with CIF - then the lawyers and admin will shut it down fast.

My .03

Disclaimer - this may be different in other states and in the Northern Section of CIF.

7. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Well done! :clap:
    Makes a lot more sense than it did a few hours ago.

Another question: "IF" a high school team was started at a school...
    Would it be considered an extra-curricular activity? Do school districts consider HS "Club" Cycling a P.E. class???? Seems kinda' unfair that a kid is asked to walk around a track for an hour (i.e. P.E. class) and than have to wait until after school in order to participate in his chosen sport. (Mini-Rant)

Thanks again. Good stuff.

8. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Yeah well, there is that. Yes the student would most likely still have to take a PE class his freshman and sophomore year. Fair trade, I'd say, for avoiding the complexities of an in-curriculum program. We entertain PE waivers for nationally ranked athletes, but can't extend that same offer for every out-of-school athlete, for a variety of complicated and bureaucratic reasons (credentialing, unions, accreditation, etc).

9. Fullerton Mike

Good question. Most school districts do not allow any type of out side sports to count as PE or allowed to have a 6th period doing MTB. It is the same for a lot of other sports. Some kids are ice skating. Even if the kids put in hours and hours of training it does not count because they are not being educated by a official "teacher" with Teaching credentials approved by the school board. Some schools have the PE couch running the MTB team and then that school is allowed to have 6th period as there MTB training time. Since the school were Brent goes my son they will allow him to do a zero period, the teacher at his school is the sports admin and he teaches the zero period and it will be classified as PE for kids that are pursuing a high level of achievement in an out side sport. For example Brent will be going in at 6:30 vr 7:20 and will do specific work outs geared towards cycling. Then he will get out at 12:20 for the day and then can go ride and train. We are lucky at our school that they are willing to work with us. Some other schools do not offer this. Team Diamond Bar just got the approval for next year that 6th period can be geared around MTB racing with 3 days in the school gym doing weights and 2 days on the trail. The TM has been certified and the school as excepted his certification to run the program

10. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    I wonder if Foothill and Tustin knew about this series? They have some awesome kids and adults that coach them. I'm hoping that wherever Ava ends up for high school has a club or is willing to start one. BTW, Foothill and Tustin have clubs not teams as mentioned/recommended by Herzalot.

11. Fullerton Mike

yes there were all at e races in force

12. cyclotourist

cyclotourist Member

From my perspective as a parent, your kid's school needs three things: Parents that ride, staff that ride, a community that supports them. A team can be built with only two of the components, but it's a LOT of heavy lifting and probably not sustainable.

Kids also have the option of riding independent or on composite teams. I can't speak to what's happening on the back end, but the front end is VERY kid/rider friendly.