The COPS!!!

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by crispy, Feb 14, 2009.

1. lazebum

lazebum SEMPER FI

Marine
    Coming from a cop, you just made my day a little better. I am ready to take a break after 5 years, im so done with the public's attitude toward me thinking that i have to rais their children, keep there dog in the back yard, control the neighbor's kids in line, and keep you safe, HA Thanks

2. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    LOL, ok dude. You better avoid them when you're getting robbed or raped.

3. dirtyjeff

dirtyjeff The same, but different

REBAR? what?
    Just speaking from my own experince, I have many "meetings" with the MAN. Most of the time, it was was my (or my buddies) dumb ass that set the so called "meeting" up. Boys will be boys! (I have 3 boys now, if I need to speak with the "MAN" in their defense I will be PISSED!) Wait,WTF? am I my dad? All of a sudden (at 40!) I am an adult?! WTF??
    the rules for the cops seldom change, the views of the people change as fast as the media can manipulate them! :-k

4. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    Very good insight, oly, but I've gotta correct you on this one--80% are rookies on power trips, 10% just had a bad day, and the other 10% are motorcycle cops!!

5. nomadFF

nomadFF Member

LACoFD
    Cops have got one of the toughest jobs out there in my opinion. I have a lot of friends that are cops, I work with cops alot, my dad was LAPD for 32 yrs. My experience is if you dont give them a reason to stop you, they wont. If you get busted, admit that you screwed up and dont blame the guy with the badge, he is just doing his job. I have all the respect in the world for them. Any cops on this board that ride and are reading this, thank you for showing up to work everyday. Despite some bad apples you make a difference. Be safe.

6. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:

This wasn't meant to be an anti-cop thread, just letting everyone know you will get a ticket for disobeying the traffic laws even if you are on a bike, so obey the traffic laws!

I think the cops do a fine job. I would be quick to pull out my gun if I was a cop. Cops are always in situations where they are up against someone who is mentally unstable. If they tell someone to do something and that person does not do it, then they are in a situation where they are not safe. Anyone who does not do what a cop says is in a situation that is unsafe. Everyone here would probably make worse decisions than 99% of the cops.

Think about it....You tell some gangbanger kid to put his hands up and he sticks them in his pockets or in his pants or something. Your first thought is going to be he is getting a gun or a knife or something.

I also hate how people sue the cops for stuff like that. The cops should start sueing peoples families when cops get shot by gang bangers. If a cop gets shot, the guy who shot him ends up in jail. If a cop shoots someone, the family sues the police department for millions of dollars? Something is screwed up with that. The families don't care about their son that got shot, they just want money.

7. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    Yeah, I agree, I'm not hating on cops. I actually got out of the military 3 years ago and would like to go to Riverside Sherriffs academy, but as of now, I would have to take a 7 dollar and hour paycut, which is pretty substantial when you have four kids and a wife and are the sole breadwinner for the family. But, to all the cops out there--I appreciate your service and respect what you do. Stay safe, and keep it up!

8. velo-ceraptor

velo-ceraptor New Member

yeah back to cycling in groups and cops....

all you have to be is faster than the slowest one.

and yeah some cops are assholes but most are just doing their job.
    just like some cyclist are assholes as well...doesnt mean we all are.

my rusted two cents.

9. lkn2ryd

lkn2ryd Member

Court Advocate, Property Manager
    So, if a peleton is a single entity if the front end gets through the light while green, (100 riders) and the tail runs the light, is that really running a light? Also, if bicycles are vehicles and they need a lane, can't they take a lane?

10. gr@sshopper

gr@sshopper Closet Roadie

Yeah, you can't really justify pulling over the entire peleton for the actions of the people on the back.

Or the entire peleton is a vehicle that crossed the intersection during the green, and hadn't yet finished crossing it.

11. velo-ceraptor

velo-ceraptor New Member

although ive argued numerous times with cops and motorist about this (and even some cyclist)...you are entitled to take a lane. especially when its safer than riding near the shoulder (which as most of us know is always sketchy)

Duty of Bicycle Operator: Operation On Roadway. VC 21202

a) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:

1. When overtaking and passing another bicycle or motor vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
    2. When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
    3. When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes) that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge. For purposes of this section, a "substandard width lane" is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
    b) Any person operating a bicycle on a one-way street or highway with two or more marked traffic lanes, may ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of such roadway as practicable.

key words when its practicable and safer for you.

12. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    LOL, sorry dude. The California Vehicle Code has no reference for a "peleton". This is the real world, not the Tour de France.

Your bike is a single entity. You run a red light, you fail. I don't understand the mentality of people who feel that it is justified to not follow the rules of the road because it is a social event and they want to stay with their buddies or live out some fantasy pretending they are Lance.

My car buddies and I used to do group drives. You can be sure we followed the laws because even though we were driving as a "peleton", we knew that if we started blowing red lights, we'd get tickets because it was unsafe and you are putting people in harms way.

Some of the roadies here can justify it all they want as a "safety" thing, but in the end, you are being selfish and putting the general public in danger by the blatant disrespect for the laws that the rest of us have to obey. It gives a bad name to bikers that continues even onto the dirt.

13. velo-ceraptor

velo-ceraptor New Member

yeah the peleton excuse is def a gray area...and by gray i mean not going to fly but we all wished it did.

but i guess we all cant have endless miles of country roads.

14. lkn2ryd

lkn2ryd Member

Court Advocate, Property Manager
    Not to belabour the point but, has it ever been argued in Court?? I will have to ask a Traffic Court Judge. It would be fun to see his/her response. (Over coffee or a beer, of course!:drunk:)

Do cars really have peletons?:-k

15. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    I'd be interested in hearing their response as well. If you ever get a chance to ask, please share.

16. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I just want an inside source on the best doughnut shops in every city. That way I can be a teachers pet.

17. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    Wait a minute. You cops are supposed to raise the children. I thought that was the sole responsibility of us teachers.:lol:

I have said it many times, and I'm sure I will say it many more: We would be in a much better place as a society if parent's took responsibility for raising their children and teaching them how to behave, be responsible, etc... Then the teachers could focus on teaching and the police could focus on serving and protecting.

And, yea I know that lots of parents are doing a great job and I applaud you. But, many are not and those are the parents I am speaking about.

-R

18. Crew Jones is RAD

Crew Jones is RAD hammer head

bikes
    If you don't brake the law you don't get stopped. the rules apply to all so stop bitching!

why are you speeding
    cuz i'm late
    next time leave your house earlier, Now i need you to sign the ticket in the box

why did you run the red light
    cuz i have no respect for the other people on the road , its all about me

19. panteratwork

panteratwork Member

Bikes/Music/Film
    I,ve ridden with the ridazz and the crank mob wich is happening again this saturday 10pm to 7am and man there has been over a good 500-1,000 riders easy,but ive noticed that when we take a light that has turned red the traffic sits and waches in amasement of the mass of riders and when there is cops present they usually help block the streets or just sit there because there is simply just so many riders to deal with! Altough there is new riders joining these groups all the time who dont know the rules of holding a line not leaving your trash around at stops and being respectful staying on the proper side of the rode (who makes riders look bad) and then you have the regulars who know the rules and call things out and are dedicated to showing you how it is!

20. gr@sshopper

gr@sshopper Closet Roadie

The point is that if the riders in the front can be ticketed for riders in the back running a light, then the whole thing is one vehicle with many operators, and would have been in the intersection before it turned red.