The COPS!!!

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by crispy, Feb 14, 2009.

1. crispy

crispy Wannabe

Engineer
    Home Page:
    Watch out for the cops! I went on a big group ride today and the guys at the end of the pack would just go through the red light so they wouldn't lose the group. This happened once and the light went red about half way through the group. Well, the cops saw and were not happy. They went up and stopped the whole group. I "wasn't with the group" so I don't know what happened and went around through a parking lot, but be careful guys. If you are on big group rides make sure you follow all the rules of the road.

2. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    Cops for the most part are to be avoided regardless of whether you are on a bike or not. You don't want to end up shot in the head for doing nothing like that poor kid in oakland.

3. graves.z

graves.z Enduro Plebe

Quality Assurance Technician
    Police have all the authority, but the only power they have comes in 9mm doses. I don't know about the case in Oakland but don't assume all cops are bad due to the actions of one. Cut them some slack and maybe they'll cut you some.

4. Bullcrew

Bullcrew New Member

Self
    Home Page:
    look at all the kids killed in oakland by gangs etc... now 1 kid downed by a cop. (granted its not cool)
    take out the police prescence and that gang death toll # just quadrupled!

Its funny how quick we are to condem a cop and most people woukd yell at him in person or tell him what they think of him. Now if those people are so big go tell the ganngbangers the same thing that have crossed the moral divide hundreds of times over and suddenly the big activist would probably catch a bullet in the head. Its the whole "I know the cops in trouble cant do anything to my safe little suburbia self" if I talk smack!

Makes me laugh everytime I see something like this, I have had it out with cops. Been cuffed and slammed around got in a fight 2 different times fist to cuff with them and still it was a personal issue and not a all cops suck issue. I have buddies that are cops and I can say that after hearing the stuff they go through Id never be a cop, Id smoke ya first and ask ?s last or just beat you down. They have alot of restraint and a not so positive job!

Just my .02 besides my dad was Wa state patrol when i was young so Im pretty familiar with the BS they have to deal with.

5. surfzombo13

surfzombo13 King of Kooks

Tin Knocker
    Home Page:
  6. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

That sounds like a justified traffic stop. I'm sure the group is not happy about it, everyone in the group gets a ticket.

I've been on group rides before, if its responsibly organized, there will be check points along the way where everyone stops to regroup. So, the last man or woman does not worry about trying to keep up, or running red lights.

Don't be a cop hater people, you never know when they will come to your rescue. Just like anything, there are good ones and there are bad ones. Same goes for cyclists LOL.

:beer:

7. Bullcrew

Bullcrew New Member

Self
    Home Page:
    I dont ride street but if I did that site is hilarious! :beer:
    Some strange stuff but funny none the less!

Dont think Im a hater Im not, I understand that being stopped and ticketed is a real crapola thing.
    Like mentioned above when the situation arises its good to have a cop around. He could be saving your life.

8. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

Yeah if you ever ride with them its always an adventure. Crazy, at times is a perfect example of bad behavior of cyclists out on the road.. Check out the movie they have, a bunch of bikes and some on roller blades getting on the Freeway during the rush hour gridlock... Hysterical.

9. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    I got a ticket when I was in 7th grade for running a red light on my BMX bike! I was so scared I was going to jail I could barely remember my name.

10. Bullcrew

Bullcrew New Member

Self
    Home Page:
    LMAO! Been there, mouth drys up and all clear thought goes BYE' BYE!
    Then you think to yourself man I look guilty of something and get all wet palmed!!!!!!! :lol:

I ran from the cops in bellevue on the municipal airport (was only used for emergencies) on my KX80 when I was 13, was doing 65 miles an hour down a jogging trail trying to get away with joggers flying out of the way! Got to the other end of the trail and there was a cop waiting so I burned a Uie and headed back just to run into a slew of them and guns drawn! Didnt go to jail but yeah My palms sweated and I lost all consciuos thougth! When asked why I ran I asnwered because I thought i could lose you!

11. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    Police have a job description, "To protect and serve." Gangbangers do not. Police officers are CIVIL Servants, gansters, again, are not.

I'm always very respectful to cops, I understand their job is hard and a lot of them are good people. I guess as a civilian I just get a little indignant when a civil servent missteps his/her authority and ends an innocent life.

12. One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind New Member

Landscape Designer (Architect in Training)
    Yeah, running red lights on a bike is not only illegal, it's stupid and it gives cyclist a bad image. If we all showed more respect to the motorists they might return the favor. That's one reason I'm not a big fan of critical mass. It doesn't positively promote cycling.

Speaking of which... What's up with people on cruisers in Huntington and Newport? It's like, if you're on a cruiser none of the rules apply. It's freakin' chaos! I'm surprised there are not more accidents. The cops could have a field day up there!

13. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
  14. dutch

dutch New Member

Jax Bicycle Center Irvine, client advisor
    I'm a big proponent of being cool to cops. I've never had a bad incident with the police (and I am pretty sure its because I'm never a dick). I figure that A. they're just doing their job, and B. for the most part we are at least a little bit safer because of them.

Sure I hate having a party broken up or getting pulled over because I ran a light that wasn't going to change for me on a bike and it was the third cycle, but its the price we pay to keep our society running the way it is.

Sure I know I'm ignoring a lot of stuff, but like I said, I'm speaking for the most part, not for the outlier incident.

15. weaksauce

weaksauce New Member

FF
    Its a lose lose situation for the cops...do you really think they enjoy pulling over people riding bikes...i'm sure its not what they signed up to do. I doubt they get a rush from the high speed chase, barreling down 20 mph and then wondering if thats a 9mm in your spandex or if your just happy to see him/her. But the reality is that the majority of the citizens they serve are fed up with large groups of cyclist breaking the law...and they complain.... Try going to a city council or planning commision meeting and listen in...theres of talk of cyclist/pedrestians breaking the rules of the road. The pathetic part is that they have to spend time policing cyclist instead of fighting real crime...

Montrose bike group? Montrose is in glendale right? Glendale is rated second to last in accidents according to some insurance investigation, like 192 out of 193 cities. If i'm not mistaken there have been five pedestrians struck in 2009 alone...two killed!! so what are the cops to do. Cyclist are fed up with drivers, drivers with cyclist, etc... And when something bad happens they both point their fingers at the cops...why did you let this happen? if you did this? did that? I going sueing the city because the bike lane wasnt big enough etc... Why do you think theres f'ing cross walks every 20 feet that light up with horns n whistles...bottom line is obey the laws or just ride on the dirt where the police is mother nature, and i hear shes a hottie!!!! cheers.

16. scruffylooking

scruffylooking Stuck up, half witted...

Yay. Another anti cop thread. This is the 3,432nd one. Why don't we just make a sub forum for cop hating.

17. slowrouleur

slowrouleur Member

Government
    Montrose is a ride that starts at Descanso Gardens as one of the earlier posters mentioned. They cruise down through Pasadena, South Pas, Arcadia, Irwindale, Azusa, Covina, Gelndora and San Dimas before heading back to where they came from. It is a group ride with over 100 riders taking a full lane of traffic and blowing through yellows and reds at times. One of my buddies got a ticket in Irwindale for blowing a red on this ride. It's a lot of fun doing this ride, sometimes you look down at your speed and your doing 30 in the big ring on the flats just being sucked along by the group.

18. Dh Oly

Dh Oly New Member

unemployed
    this is too comedy... gang bangers are known killers so when they smoke somebody its almost expected.
    cops are there to protect people. 90 percent of dickhead cops are rookies on power trips. the other 10 just had a bad day.
    however people see one bad cop and give the good ones attitude and turn them into dicks. and the cycle just keeps going.

not to mention cops get bored like anybody else, and when i see a bunch of roadies i think its fun to mess with them too.

19. davidB

davidB Active Member

if you can't beat 'em, join 'em ;)

20. dirtyjeff

dirtyjeff The same, but different

REBAR? what?
    I thought it went " if you can't beat them, shoot them!?
    Anyone remember MDC?? I have family that are cops, not the easiest job, for the most part, thankless and not as heroic (for some F'd up reason) as a firefighter(another hero) Much respect to all our cops & firemen! :bang: