The best riding advice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sdyeti, Oct 4, 2007.

1. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Oh crap! Did I mention I usually lose??!!:lol:

He almost won us a trip to Costa Rica two years ago at Sea Otter doing the bike sumo event held by Marla Streb. He was one of the two finalists and got that far because his balance is phenomenal.

Btw...we won a waffle iron instead.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2007
  2. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I'm sure it was just as nice

:lol:

3. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

We don't get to go to Costa Rica every Sunday, but I get to make waffles every Sunday! :lol:

4. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    Simple drills - too true

Some of my worst falls have happened as a result of not having mastered very basic skills. The whole curb thing is a great example: jumping curbs and riding along the curbs are basic prototypes of situations that you'll encounter on the trail. If you can't handle them in the relatively static environment of your driveway, then how in the hell are you going to do it on the trail where everything is very dynamic?

Another example: track stands. Most people I see out there kinda suck at those. "Why do I need to do that, I don't want to stand still?" They can help you on super technical climbs, they allow you to rest even in precarious situations, AND they are great for getting proper gate starts where there is no gate! Think Southridge downhill.

To that end, I recommend the BikeSkills.com clinics for beginners to novices (doesn't really cater to experts) and Eric Carter's clinics if you race DH or MTX. The "Curb Clinic" sounds pretty good, too!

Finally, Sport Chalet sells a video called "Fundamentals" that is excellent. It was produced by Alex Rankin, the guy who does the Earthed series.

5. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Rich Houseman does a good clinic too...

6. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    How do you get into one of those? I emailed the address provided on Southridge's site, but haven't heard back. :?:

I think we may try to get a copy of that skills DVD. I've seen part of it (Ann and Andy have it).

7. soul rider

soul rider EMPTY V

veal in a cubicle
    you got skills Mikey...Hit it!!!
    from a hucker

8. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    Speaking of visualization, I remember reading about how Mark Weir can visualize the Downieville DH run in his head while running a stop watch, and come within 30 seconds of what he actually rides it. That's on a 45 minute run!

9. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

More

It works, I tell ya!

Here's what Dr. Richard Restak has to say about visualization. He is a neurosurgeon who's written 12 books about the human brain:

"The process of imagining yourself going through the motions of a complex musical or athletic performance activates brain areas that improve your performance. Brain scans have placed such intuitions on a firm neurological basis. Positron emission tomography (PET) scans reveal that the mental rehearsal of an action activates the prefontal areas of the brain responsible for the formulation of the appropriate motor programs. In practical terms, this means you can benefit from the use of mental imagery."

And one more I like:
    “The use of mental imagery is one of the strongest and most effective strategies for making something happen for you.”

10. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    For me what helps as somewhat of a newbie still:
    1. Uphill climbs like what Keep what happens said stay on the nose of the seat. It feels kind of uncomfortable :eek: but really helps. The last point I have on the uphill is I don't look at the top of the hill or my destination. I am always looking down. To me its a mental thing but this sport is 75% mental.

2. Going downhill speed is my friend (I learned that the hard way) and I look 10 to 15 ft ahead of me I don't look at the area that I am going down (is that making sense?). Its like I pre plan on where I want my bike to be.

Just my two cents!

11. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

We always signed up at the races. If you have a Sponsorhouse account, you could send a message to Rich. Or, maybe Donny will have info at the fall challenge?

12. DownhillWebKook

DownhillWebKook l'homme plus

IT Architect
    Home Page:
    Nico Vioulloz is also quite famous for that. He could predict his times with pinpoint accuracy. He has 10 rainbow jersies in worldcup downhill, more than any other male rider to this day. Only Anne-Caroline Chausson has more and she was his team-mate. So, it must work!

Regarding clinics with EC: he is pretty tough to pin down. He is still riding the UCI and NORBA circuits. I think Rich does, too. I did three of the EC/Houseman clinics and won each race that followed. They are about $200 and very worth it!

13. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:

It's funny... I don't remember where I heard or read it, but re #1, it was that you *should* look at the top of the hill to watch your progress, and have a goal.

Then, you should visualize yourself at the top. On the bike, preferably :D

14. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

deleted

15. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    naw for me when I see the summit from the start of my ride it Fs with my mind. I m like Holly Sh&% I have to climb that. I mean don't get me wrong I will look up once in awhile but throughout the majority of my ride my head is down. If I keep looking up I think wow thats a far climb and if I keep looking up I keep thinking that "wow thats a far climb" and it gets in my head to stop and rest because its such a long climb.

16. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Try not to interfere with what your bike is able to do.

Relax your hands. The rest of your arms, shoulders, etc will usually follow, and you will ride better and put your energy where it needs to go.

And maybe the most important one: If you want to manage your money wisely, never walk in to a bike shop with your credit card.

17. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

Haven't mastered that one yet... :lol:

18. OldDogDan

OldDogDan Member

This is a great thread! My top two agree with lots of you:

1. Look ahead & where you want to go - don't look where you don't want to go (do not let yourself look at that rut or rock!)
    2. Speed & momentum are your friend in rough stuff (obviously to a point determined by your skill & bike...).

But I have a question about one-finger braking. Are all you one-finger brakers using hydraulic discs? Seems juice disc people use one finger, mech discs & rim brakers usually use two. I use two, and feel like I need it with my Avid BB7 discs. The stopping power is awesome, but some force is needed to brake hard.

19. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    I used to ride motocross, so I was used to one-finger braking with hydros. When I started riding mtb's I had rim brakes. I mostly still used one finger, but prolonged or steep descents sometimes required two. I've always used my middle fingers on the brakes though. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, that keeps my dominant index finger on the bars. Plus I feel like having my index finger plus my ring & pinkie fingers gripping gives me a more balanced, stronger grip than when I have my index on the brake lever. But to each his/her own - whatever's clever.

I've had about 10 seconds on a bike with BB7's, but they seemed pretty strong - not hydros, but pretty good. You might experiment a little with different levers. I switched levers when I had the rim brakes and found a big difference in leverage and gripping comfort/strength.

20. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Here's one...

When you're passed by someone who is a lot better than you, don't give up. Stick to 'em like glue. Let them set YOUR pace, watch what they do, watch the line they pick. Copy every move as best you can.

Whether you can keep up for 10 seconds or 5 minutes, it doesn't matter as long as you're pushing harder than normal and you can learn something.

For that brief period, you'll be riding at the speed of someone who is faster than you. If you can learn to ride like that all the time, you'll eventually be able to ride faster than yourself. :)