Tdf 2008

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by JoeTruth, Jul 13, 2008.

1. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    I like watching the racing and catch a lot of the races throughout the year but like a lot of sports, I do not "follow" RR which brings me to a question ...

Why did Hincapie not get a "leading roll"? He seemed to be pretty close to Armstrong and it would seem he should be able to podium if not win the overall.

He did not have all that great of showing this year (compared to past years) but do you think that is from "weaker" training partners/Team as apposed to what he had when LA was riding with him and having to push the boundaries that much harder?

I just thought it funny how he seemed to "slow down" after Armstrong left. Maybe I am wrong and he is tearing it up in other Grand Tours :-k

Did ya feel the quake?8-[

2. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
    Age???

yeah, double hit on the tembler.

3. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    Double here as well.

Went and looked it up ...
    I would not say age, Sastre is 33 and Hincapie is 35. A few of the top 10 riders are mid to late 30's in age.

4. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

That was Landis, not Hincapie.

5. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    My opinion is that George is not strong enough consistently to deliver all the goods when needed.
    He's a mediocre time trialist.
    Usually gets dropped on climbs when the hammer gets put down. Usually, not always.
    He was always a sprinter and a one day classics man.
    He reinvented himself for the Tour and up's his climbing but he can't match guys that are just much better and quite honestly, have better luck than him.
    He did win a mtn top finish in '05 I think it was but he sucked more wheel than the Oscar P. I know I know, he couldn't get by. I hope he gets a win at Paris Roubaix. I wish that for him every year!

Found this quote in Velo news! Loved it!
    "The Tour de France isn't really over until the lab lady sings. VeloNews' Andrew Hood says he's hopeful the news stays good."

6. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    I'm with you Liz, Chris Horner is getting old and I wouldn't ever expect him to do to well in the Tour, but I'd have loved to see him there again and to possibly get a stage win. The guys an old ironhorse and deserves more from cycling. Problem now is, who is going to beat Andy next year. I really can't see him taking the roll as a domestique again. Not even for Frank. To me, this was one of the most exciting tours I've seen. How many more days till the next tour?

7. dirtmistress

retired
    I was having issues with it but I came round and I did like it. I look forward to a full sprinting field with Boonen, Cavendish, Thor, Bennati, McEwan and maybe Hincapie can get his sprinting talent back up there and contest a few.
    As for the over all, I am not a huge Contador fan so i hope for Evans or Andy. Maybe even some newbie. :?:

8. OffRoadie

OffRoadie Roadie in Exile

Electrical Engineer
    Why do people keep hyping Andy Schleck? He got dropped in the Pyrenees and lost a lot of time. I don't see him coming around for another couple of years.

9. dirtmistress

retired
    He got 2nd in the Giro. The critics and fans always try to hurry up a racers status. The smart guys are saying a couple years. Course they were saying that about Tom Danielson. :?:
    Either way, Riis is going to pamper and train that boy I'm sure and make him a contender sooner than later!!

10. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Because of a sleeping baby I had the last day's race on "mute". The highlight of the coverage was when the captions said "...Kohl won the mounting competition." :)

Oh the things I missed ...