Talk to me about Specialized Roubaix and its warranty

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by stevers, Feb 13, 2010.

1. stevers

stevers Member

Home Page:
    So I'm thinking about buying a "real" road bike. I'm currently on a cyclocross bike that's about 2 sizes too small for me. I figured the smaller bike with a high stem would keep me more upright, which I thought to be the same as comfortable. Now it's becoming painfully obvious I need a bike that's sized right and fitted for me.

I am a clyde at 260lbs, 5'10". Everyone has been recommending carbon to me, which seems counter-intuitive. They say there's much less material fatigue on carbon, so a carbon frame would last me longer than an alu. Also say the ride is more plush and stiff for someone my size.

Seems like the 56cm Specialized Roubaix will fit the bill nicely. Has anyone had any experience breaking the frame, or having to warranty anything from them? I hear good things about Specialized, but I want to get some feedback before dropping thousands on yet another bike to my stable.

Other bikes in consideration is the Bianchi C2C 928, or even a Look 566. I'm basically looking for a pure road bike, 105 groupset, value buy, enough bike to do some long-ish rides (60mi), and perhaps decent enough to start some road racing.

Thanks for any input.

2. Bergsteiger

Bergsteiger Mr. Krisztian

Master Business Jet Service Center Coordinator
    If you are looking for a value buy, with 105 groupo there is no reason to spend thousands. Your budget should be around 1500 dollars. At 260lbs, I would be cautious of a carbon road frame in the value category. Not saying you won't find one, but do your research and make sure they have a good warranty. Of course once you start riding, more then likely you'll drop some pounds. Bicycle magazine's buyers guide has some good info, I would check them out.

3. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

Not a roadie but have owned several Specialized MTBs. They stand behind their warranty 100%. I've had rear triangles replaced and one frame at no cost to me. Just make sure you're comfortable with the length of the warranty and there are no weight limits.

4. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I would try and check of they have any weight limits. I know my Giant carbon road bike has a 275lb weight limit. You not over that but it would important to check that Specialized doesnt have a lower weight limit.

5. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

I ahve a roubaix pro and really like it.
    Problem is it pretty much sits in the garage as I take the Mtb out 95% of the time.
    Definitely talk to the sales folks and get an idea. Have them show you the weight limit on the specs.
    I'd recommend Surf City Cyclery for Specialiazed if your anywhere near Costa mesa or HB.

6. whybother

whybother New Member

Allison absolutely loved her Roubaix. She just replaced it with a Tarmac. Going to put her Roubaix up on here to see if anyone is interested (soon) but it is a 52.

Specialized has pretty awesome customer service. Most bike companies are pretty awesome about replacing bikes that fail due to defects.

Definitely get Shimano 105 or Sram Rival at a bare minimum.

7. HUGH

HUGH Mashers Only !!

I burn metal
    The Roubaix is a nice bike. I'm a Tarmac guy. The Roubaix is a little more relaxed in the angles(not as twitchy) compared to the Tarmac and has a plusher ride. Also the bottom bracket area might not be as laterally stiff as the Tarmac. At your weight I dont think the 105 brakes are going to be enough. I would try to find something with a mix of 105 and ultegra(at the least).
    As for the warranty Specialized will take care of you!
    Check out The Path!

HUGH
    :)

8. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Word! Ride the tarmac and the roubaix. I did and bought the tarmac! Much more fun bike, more racy.

I'm 6 3, 240... haven't hurt the frame yet. I did break 105 wheels twice, ultegras have been problem free

9. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Agreed with several comments. Specialized is great on its warranties. You should have no issues if you even get to that. Your other two choices Bianci and Look are not US based manufacturers so not sure how difficult it would be logistically to get repairs under warranty (or replacement).

Carbon all the way. Aluminum bikes are not sturdier from a weight load perspective. Check the weight issue with your salesperson.

Tarmac all the way too. Little tighter and racer, less flex than the Roubaix. On the other hand the Roubaix is more comfy and good for long rides and serious saddle time.

Would suggest Rock n Road in the OC or Montrose Bike Shop in the San Gabe Valley.

10. stevers

stevers Member

Home Page:
    Thanks for the replies. The Specialized sales rep and the Rock n Road salesmen all said that Specialized doesn't have weight limits on their carbon road bike frames. The Specialized site seems to be out of commission at the moment, so I can't really verify. I will definitely test out both the Roubaix and the Tarmac, but I think the details with the warranty will really be the deal maker/breaker. Call me naive, but I want this bike purchase to be my last *road* purchase for 10 years or so. That's pretty much the only allure of a carbon frame. Otherwise, I'll nix any thoughts of group riding/racing and just go with a budget build or something.

11. singleSSpeedster

singleSSpeedster Rolling on 29" dubs!

well.....i am not as big as you. i am 6'1" and a whopping 170.

i ride a '07 tarmac pro frameset with 2009 sram red and it is a great bike!!!

the tarmac is stiff at the bb, but has great ride quality. also, it is racier than a roubaix (as chewy said). it descends amazing well and is VERY predictable and stable. it is NOT a twitchy bike. it is one of those bike that is relaxed when you are and can handle whatever you dish it when you want to push it.

if you are serious about riding, i would strongly suggest atleast a few ultegra/sram force parts if you want to keep the bike for a while. also, try out the sram stuff, especially if you like to ride on the hoods. and....DOUBLE TAP RULES!!!

and, try not to skim too much....upgrading parts later is just going to cost MUCH more than just getting a bike that works form the start. and at your weight, get a good set of brakes. i understand that sram red is most likely out of you budget, but the red brakeset is awesome!

lots of useless info, but as long as specialized says no weight limit, i think you are golden. can't loose with either a tarmac or roubaix. but, don't shy away from the tarmac thinking it is too racey. it is a VERY well mannered bike.

12. MikeLord

MikeLord Lost in LA

eCommerce/Technical Consultant
    Home Page:
    I ride both of these bikes all the time just depending on what style of riding I'm doing. I actually do prefer the roubaix if I had to choose just 1 frame because the geometry is more relaxed. the roubaix is designed for longer rides (centuries) and to be more comfortable while the tarmac is a bit more aggressive.

Specialized offers a test program where you can ride both of these bikes in your size. Its about $50 a day and the test amount is credited towards your purchase. so if you spend $100 testing out each bike you don't lose that money. If you are in the LA area, the shop I work at provides this program otherwise contact your local authorized Specialized dealer. Take each bike and ride about 30-50 miles on it that includes flats and climbs. That should answer your question on which way to go. or you can just buy both :bang:

All Specialized bikes come with a life time warranty and the shop you buy ur bike from should offer life time adjustments for the bike (derailleur & brake adjustments).

I just finished up the Specialized seminar for road bikes last week and I ride both these bikes regularly