Talk to me about Remote Dropping Seatposts....

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Chewyeti, Aug 26, 2009.

1. dgaspar

dgaspar I like to burn things

Attorney
    Sorry it took me so long to report back. I have taken the RASE out a few times and only wished I had gotten one of these earlier. It rocks! It has functioned flawlessly through the trails.

A few people have wondered about whether the seatpost rattles. Honestly, it does rattle a little. I had no problems riding in the saddle and did not notice any movement. When I'm off the saddle going downhill, you can hear a little rattling if you're listening for it. The amount of rattle is not too bad and in my opinion, a non-issue. When I stopped listening for it and concentrated on the trail, I didn't even notice it at all. If a little rattling drives you nuts, you may not be able to disregard the rattling. However, I suspect that most, if not all, of the other mechanical seatposts have similar characteristics.

2. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Just got my new Gravity Dropper Turbo Tuesday. Took it for it's 1st ride last night (boy have I missed not having one). No rattle, no noise and no more magnets!!!

[​IMG]

3. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    Good news on the CrankBrotheers Joplin a 4" drop. Next year?

4. NRamzi

NRamzi Software Archaeologist

Avionics Software Engineer
    FYI, the KS i950 should be released in October.

5. rwmagnus

rwmagnus Member

Salesman Section 42 LIHTC
    I just picked up a Joplin Remote for 200 bones and will install and test it this weekend. The Rase and Gravity Turbo are still interesting however for $200 I think a 3" drop will work for my style of riding. With a 2 yr warranty and 30 refund policy there wasn't any risk in the deal.

6. epicriderat

epicriderat New Member

Self employed DME
    I have used the Joplin w/remote for about a year now. No hassles and it does not rattle when I ride. As good as the joplins look, I use a Lizardskin shock cover to cover the post. This does a great job at keeping all the grit out.

7. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I have the 4" with the 1" or 3" option. I use the 1" more than I use the 3"!

8. rwmagnus

rwmagnus Member

Yea that's why I thought the 4" was over kill for me and given the price I though why not give it a try plus the company is a local. My only concern is I think the Joplin is a variable drop not a preset amount but I should get the hang of it. I do think the company should offer a boot to cover the post like you mentioned.

9. rwmagnus

rwmagnus Member

Okay did the install and did a little test ride. I like the Joplin. Couple things. TBS advertises a 30 refund policy but on the bottom of the box a sticker says even if the post is inserted into the bike tube it can not be returned. That's lame better to just say no refunds.

The Joplin has no play between the inner and outer seattube and functions perfectly and is quiet. Hey it's new what else should be expected. The only aspect of the Joplin remote I do not like is how the brake cable secures around the set screw at the top of the seatpost. It is held under the screw head. I would have prefered to see something more secure.

Off for some trail testing....

10. rwmagnus

rwmagnus Member

Like many have said this is a really nice upgrade. Not having to stop on planned descents and having adjustability on unexpected ones is pretty sweet. I'm not looking to ride more agressively but I can see how one might do so with an adjustable seatpost. 3" drop is fine.

Results from my maiden voyage was good but the seat dropped an inch or so a couple times without hitting the remote. I cycled the seatpost 4-5 times and it seemed to fix that issue.

I'm glad I pulled the trigger on this upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2009
  11. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Just picked up a specialized command post (thanks freekengo) and will have to report back. Unfortunately its on a bike with no wheels, so a test will wait a week LOL.
    On another note... my joplin leaked a ton of fluid yesterday, but still works.....?

12. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    good call! the Command is the ONLY post worth a darn

13. gone2vegas

gone2vegas Crash Test Dummy

aspiring lottery winner
    I have the RASE and am very happy with it. My bike has a 27.2 seat tube which is part of the reason I chose it. Yes there is a little play in it, but I don't notice it when I'm on the saddle. As far as rattling, there is other stuff on my bike that rattles, so I don't notice any rattling from the seatpost. The only thing I wouldn't mind changing is the lever to actuate the seatpost. I'm thinking about getting the Joplin release kit and hooking that up to the seatpost. lastly I purchased it from Bike Bling.

14. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Worked awesome in big bear.

Unfortunately, did a sitting wheelie, and the seat post shaft rotated 30 degrees to the left.

Is there a collar that can be tightened?

(no. the post did not rotate in the frame, the post rotated inside the base)

15. b3rnard

b3rnard Member

I have the Joplin/R. It operates smoothly, w/ the remote, that is another plus.

It's nice to be able to drop/raise the seat on the demand. Since I am not the first owner, I do notice there is a side to side rotation - which according to the CB manual it is normal 5-10mm and is not noticeable when riding.

Other than that, no issues. I just need to remember to use it, lol.

16. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    it's a built in feature as i understand from Specialized. Each degree it turns during a wheelie indicates how many pounds the rider needs to lose. They are however making a 29er specific model which re-baselines the average rider weight by 85 lbs upward

17. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Now that is funny right there.....:lol::lol::beer::bang::clap: