Taken out by S. Pekarek

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by boxedlp, Sep 17, 2012.

1. boxedlp

boxedlp New Member

health care
    Had a nasty spill going down! Hit my side on the top tupe on my 29ht. Bruised scrapped and winded but rode home. At night Right ribs was sore, when I picked up my son I head a crack/ snap. Most excruciating pain, painful to breath could not move. Did not sleep last night.

I believe I broke my rib/s after doing all the diagnostics myself being a nurse.
    Here now at urgent care waiting for an X-ray which most of the time does not show where the Fx is if it's hairline.

What sucks is, there's not much we can do but just to wait for it to heal up. An abdominal binder will help.

Will see how this goes.

2. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Fully Loop strikes again? Sorry. Feel better soon.

3. McG715

McG715 Active Member

Software Sales Executive
    I've been rehabbing a rib injury I got going down hard in Whistler last month.. this past weekend I was finally able to get out and ride a little but it's still very sore and I was nervous about going down and making matters worse again so I was mellow. Urgent care gave me Vicodin and reminded me to breath as deeply as often as possible to avoid getting Pneumonia (which I'm sure you're aware of). They also told me not to wrap as that tends to restrict the full breathing needed.. I've had 3 rib injuries in past 4 yrs so I am unfortunately beginning to become a pro at them :)

4. boxedlp

boxedlp New Member

health care
    Thanks! They did 4 X-rays found 2 hairline fx. I'm wearing an abdominal binder. And yes you are correct breath deep. They gave me Tylenol #3 which helps me breath but high! Hehehehe going to return to work Bec I don't have any PTO. Funny thing is the Dr who saw me at urgent care is a roadie and told me to buy a road bike and added your injuries could be worse if you get ran over or side swiped by a vehicle.

How long does it take to heal? He said 6-8 weeks. Before I go on the trail?

Lem

5. badgas

badgas I like dirt

Healing vibes sent your way. I bet you are back on the bike in 3-4 weeks.

good luck we are pulling for you.

6. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    I bruised mine 4 weeks ago. It felt like more than bruised ribs though and the xray came back negative. I didnt want to take time off work so i took ibuprophen like prescribed and that was the only way i could get through the day and sleep at night, sort of. I finally rode this week and it was rough but doable. the ultimate worse part is trying not to sneeze or cough!!