Sycamore - Malibu - Conditions?

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by El Salt, Mar 13, 2009.

1. El Salt

El Salt Guest

Sycamore - Malibu

Anyone been out there recently? Thinking of hitting it tomorrow.

Last weekend, riding around in the Santa Monica's, I got talking with another rider that said the entire upper area / Over Look Trail had been "bladed" and was very soft. Anyone know trail conditions out there?

2. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    At the Hell Hill junction I saw tracks from where he turned around. I didn't ride the Overlook - not on my route. Guadalasca should be OK.

3. Donny

Donny (R.I.P) Formerly Devoid169

Sales - Abrasives
    whoops - wrong Sycamore... I rode Sycamore from Westridge off Sunset last Tuesday. Awesome ride - small water crossings and all....

4. El Salt

El Salt Guest

Abui,

I thought you might jump in, I know that is one of your local (heck it isn't that far for me, from WLA) trails. Often I start from the 101 side, but thought I might ride up the canyon from the beach side, climb Guadalasca and then come down Wood Cyn.

Thanks for the reply!

Hummmm... that might have been Sullivan Cyn?

5. wannagobig

wannagobig Gigantic Member

I heard from a RR yesterday that Overlook is soft.It was graded a week or so ago(maybe longer) and hasn't settled in yet..

6. jbiron

jbiron New Member

Dad
    Rode the beach side of Overlook on Thursday. It has been graded, but still ridable. Some soft spots, but the deep rain ruts are gone.

7. Donny

Donny (R.I.P) Formerly Devoid169

Sales - Abrasives
    Hummmm... that might have been Sullivan Cyn?[/quote]

That it was - I get the names of places/trails I ride all back-asswards sometimes. I just drive to the trailhead, and GO! I know where to go, just can't give anyone directions by trail names most of the time...Just like my neighborhood - I know what my street name is, but surrounding streets?? Not a clue - weird? Maybe. - - Sycamore Malibu is a great place as well and I wanna go back soon.

8. kyoseki

kyoseki New Member

Apparently I'm an artist of some description
    Was out at Mugu a couple weeks ago.

Overlook was actually graded last year sometime, unless they've done it again recently, it hasn't been touched between Guad and Hell Hill/Backbone, at least for now.

I still haven't ridden the Overlook fire road, but Hell Hill is still pretty loose, though not nearly as bad as it was just after the dozer had been through, I still cooked my brakes coming down.

Guadalasca and Wood Canyon are both fine, so you should be good there.

9. tougerenner

tougerenner New Member

this is Very true decided to take Overlook down way down last weekend..... Biggest mistake EVAR. it is soft from just being graded and it goes from the bottom all the way to the turn off by backbone. There are a few packed paths run in by bikes but it also seems like they widened it and so there are lots of sticks, branches, and cactuses mixed in all over the place so watch out.

all the other bike trails out there are fine.

10. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Hell Hill this week - all time best condition climbing or descending. ;)

The grading on the Overlook is new.

11. El Salt

El Salt Guest

Uber-mini RR - no pix.

We hit up Sycamore on Saturday morning, we didn't get a crack of dawn start, but that was OK, it was pretty funky out. I think we pulled up at about 11am, the skies still very overcast, and temps a little cool in the breeze

We rolled up the canyon (started beach side), and to my surprise, no mud or water in the crossings. Got to the base of Guadalasca and started climbing. I put Lori, my wife, out in front, she was on her new Knolly. She was rolling over everything, rocks, ruts, whatever. She cleaned the entire climb. We topped out, and I left the decision to her. She said, lets do an about face and drop back down Guadalasca, and then when we get to the bottom we can climb it AGAIN. In the back of my mind I figured once at the bottom, she'd want to do something else, but no. After a quick bite, we climbed it again. By now the overcast was burning off, but temps were still really good.

When we topped out, we cruised along, passing the top of Hell Hill and dropping down Wood Canyon Vista Trail (AKA Backbone). This is a semi techy ST drop back to the canyon. That Knolly was soaking it up.

Once down in the canyon we blasted along, passing a few others, and bouncing off any thing we could find on the way back to the beach.
    Trail conditions were primo, and you get the added bonus of all the plants and flowers blooming.

Great quick ride. Need to get back out again soon.