Sycamore canyon pt mugu

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by alterego, Jan 28, 2010.

1. alterego

alterego New Member

Sales rep for Gallo wines
    Anyone been there since the rain? Was wondering if it was good to go or still soggy.

2. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    If rideable, could be a good Plan B for the Sat. STR ride.

3. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Paging Abui!

He rides there every day.

4. ShockTheraphy

ShockTheraphy New Member

bump :) anyone?

also interested in Los Robles/Space Mountain, Cheseboro or Kanan trail conditions.

5. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    I'm sure it's fine up there now. It's had several days to dry and everything else in the area is good.

Space Mountain is very ridable (I did it on Wednesday -- http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/ride-reports/47121-space-mountain-los-robles-trail-west.html).

Cheezie is very ridable (did it yesterday -- http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/ride-reports/47176-chesebro-lv-cyn.html).

Will be on the Millenium Trail system with Fewinhibitions and perhaps a few others tomorrow morning (http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/trailhead/47180-saturday-socaltrailriders-ride-alternative.html#post685178).

Come on out.

- shud

6. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    Committed to Las Virgenes with Shudder tomorrow.

given it's kinda in the same area and seeing the pics from Shudder's rides this week I would guess it's good to go

EDIT: Beat me to it!

7. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    ^^ Hee hee. What he said! :bang:

- shud

8. weaksauce

weaksauce New Member

FF
    I rode it yesturday for the first time since the rains. Did two foxes, hell hill, backbone, guad, wood, and overlook...everything is in top condition except for the upper middle of backbone and upper guad...which is always slow to dry after the rains. It will probably be good to go by saturday...enjoy! Also...I was pleasantly surprized that there is no/very little water in any of the stream crossings...just a little sticky mud.

Cheers

9. ShockTheraphy

ShockTheraphy New Member

Rode Sycamore yesterday. Yep, the upper section of Backbone is still soggy and lower part is rockier than ever since the top soil washed away. It was a pretty rough ride as I made a mistake of taking my hardtail, my body is now all sore up. And oh, the fireroad between backbone and guad has some small loose rocks so its pretty easy to wash out ...
    [​IMG]

10. alterego

alterego New Member

Sales rep for Gallo wines
    Tried to ride Sunday and was a muddy mess so turned off after about 15 yards into the trail. Today is Wednesday think they are dry enough to ride today? Figure the sun and wind over the past few days may have done the trick to dry them out.

11. metalmtbr

metalmtbr Member

IT propeller-head
    Should be "rideable". We rode Sycamore 3 days after it had rained and though there were pockets on the trail where water collected there were almost always a beaten path around it. The ride up the main canyon road down to Sin Nombre, Two Foxes, Coyote Trail, Wood Canyon, Hell Hill and the North Overlook were fine. When we rode Guadalasca down, there was much more mud and moisture collected because it's a shaded north/west facing trail. Lots of slickness on the rocks but it was a lot of fun. We even passed up a couple riders riding up in the other direction.

Having said all that, if you want better trail conditions overall (post-rain), your better bet would be Space Mountain in Newbury Park.

12. Brewtal

Brewtal Squirrel Whisperer

Exactly what Metalmtbr said. I was just there Monday 3-8-10 afternoon scouting around and doing some trail repair on Backbone. The creek crossings alternate from minimal water to the second one that was about 5" deep and maybe 14' across. Nothing major. Parts of Backbone are definitely in need of some love. The upper north-facing portions were heavily rutted and looked like a dirty diaper. The dry portions later on are featuring a bit more exposed jagged rocks on the trail but again, nothing major. Pockets of water here and there that you're able to, and SHOULD, go around. Not everyone has been; not cool but what's a village without its idiot?
    I will likely be back up there Friday with my shovel and pick doing more repairs to those ruts if anyone is interested in coming along. There's work to be done and it going to suck if the trail were to dry out in it's current state.
    Other than that, Sycamore Cyn fire road (main trail) looks good. Some puddles.
    Sin Nombre: minor patches of water in shaded spots but tacky overall.
    Two Foxes: Nice and tacky! Very fun.
    Wood Cyn to Hell Hill summit also just nice n tacky.
    Summary: Please allow Backbone some time to recover! The ruts were as bad as I've ever seen them and, as I mentioned, need some love. I'll be there Friday morning with me thermos and shovel.

Photo from beginning of Sin Nombre when it opens up. Gorgeous day!

Attached Files:

• 17b.jpg
      17b.jpg
      File size:
      117.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2010