Sycamore Backbone Trail Dozed!

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by jbiron, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Brewtal

Brewtal Squirrel Whisperer

2. carbonman

carbonman Captian of BIG RED

what's that?????
    Say it isn't so. That was one of the best trails there. It was a blast riding up or down it with the big bike. That was one of Marias alltime favorite trails, she'll be crushed.

3. ShockTheraphy

ShockTheraphy New Member

any updates?

Any updates on how the trail work turned out? I'm planning to ride there tomorrow. thanks!

4. Fisher29

Fisher29 New Member

I rode that area today. Backbone was closed off completely, with two mini-dozers at the top.

5. Brewtal

Backbone is still closed today (Sunday) to finish up with trail work but will reopen tomorrow.
    I have a couple photos from yesterdays trail work that I will be posting up in a few.

6. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

7. El Presidente

El Presidente New Member

Owner and President of Bellfree Contractors, Inc.
    Wrong! CORBA does not have a sweco. To my knowledge a sweco has not been on Guadalasca since it was built with a sweco 15 years ago.

Yeah I am here! I can not speak for the State Parks Trail crew operator. He may have needed to move the rocks to get the sweco up the trail? He may have moved them because hikers complained about them or other mountain bikers. Did you know that most mountain bikers don't like rocks on the trails? Next time you ride look at the tread. You will notice where there are rocks there are lots of tracks going around them. Also watch your riding buddies as you ride and see if they go over or around the rocks.

The trail has not been there since before you or I were born! It was built with a sweco around 17 years ago. If you think back to when you first rode the trail you may remember it was much smoother. Over time storm water and users displace soil leaving the rocks. Keep an eye on it and you will notice the rocks coming back over time.

Wrong! Bermed turns are cool! You just need a drain above and a drain below them to prevent erosion. Brewtal built a nice one up there!

I was at a trail seminar a couple of years ago and talked with a Ranger from the San Luis area. He was talking with some of the local guys about the illegal trails. He was looking for a solution to the illegal trail building going on. Those guys went on to become FASTA! They are doing good work! If it was not for them all of the illegal trails up there probably would have been closed and there would have been any talk about making new ones! Get your facts straight before you go blasting people on the internet!

8. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Wrong-squared

I saw the picture. I like the feature that if someone goes too high or fast they fly off the mountain. What about turns on the upslope? Any pictures?

The so-called bermed turns were erosion features. MTB's had run up the bank and eroded the soil to cover the entire walking surface. A hiker did not have a level surface to walk on, just a slope at angle of repose.

9. Rockslide

Rockslide Two-wheeled transient.

Maybe we should build level concrete sidewalks for hikers. But then we would have to call them walkers. :lol:

10. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Seriously! If hikers can't handle rocks or different trail features or even how a trail tracks then they need to hit a walking path near the beach.

11. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Rocks were not the problem. Features were not the problem. Erosion that built a 60 degree slope across a trail was the problem. Who did it? Wussie riders who couldn't handle turning on rocks. They had to find a P-line upslope.

Let's pave a p-line for the wussie riders.

Hikers' solution is to ban bikes from trails.

12. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    The rocks on Guadalasca are safe. Nothing has been done on Guadalasca. All the great features are still there, every bump and rut is ready for your tires. The switchbacks are unchanged, from the rutted steep swithbacks to switchbacks with buck-toothed rocks reaching for your pedals.

The only thing new is the vegetation taking over. Stinging weeds attack from both sides at once. I would have made clearing the weeds (P.O.?) a priority over plowing the Backbone.

(1) Starting up the vegetation is untouched, up higher it gets thicker.
    (2) A good day on the coast

Attached Files:

13. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Backbone changes

(1) The first switchback as you climb, looking back. It was once a moderate climb/turn and then a rock face. The rocks have been covered and the upper trail raised. Now the turn is on loose soil instead of rocks that give dependable traction.

(2) A turn widened and flattened.

(3) Typical clearing of the area before the southern-most switchback.

(4) The southern switchback. What was banked to the left is now off camber with a bit of a water bar.

(5) The section leading up to the mesa is unfinished. Rocks are there, just loose.

(6) Another switchback made-over (mesa). There was once natural flow (from the upper left). Now you do the dirt spin to get on an area suitable for carrier landings. Proves a machine can move tons of dirt.

(7) The mesa area is almost untouched, two water bars added. No brush cleared (!)

(8 ) The upper climb has good clearing and rut filling. :beer:

The upper sandy trail is soft. You've seen a picture of the bermed turn. Soft is nice when coming down. Flow pretty much unchanged.

(9) On the way down watch for tank traps (water bars).

(10) Another view of the unfinished part just below the mesa.

Attached Files:

14. El Presidente

El Presidente New Member

Owner and President of Bellfree Contractors, Inc.
    I don't remember that happening up there. Was this near the top? The bermed turns were pretty solid and I do not recall any loose soil sliding down on the trail. Yes it is true the trail was not flat and we do not want it flat. It is best to have a 5-10% outslope so that water sheets off of the trail.

15. jbiron

jbiron New Member

Dad
    I rode Backbone this morning for the 3rd time since the work. I must say its shaping up pretty nicely. Too bad we didn't get the rain that was expected mid-week, or it would be even better. Most of the trail is packing down nicely, though I'm not sure why many of these sections were even touched. There's still plenty of loose dirt and rocks, but there is already a packed single track groove on much of the trail. All in all it’s in much better shape than I would guessed one week out. I can hardly notice a difference while ascending.

There are a few changes, which if they become permanent, will be problematic. Without many of the larger exposed rocks, downhill speeds will increase and with that the likelihood of head ons or blowing off the trail, sometimes with dangerous exposure.

Another curious new feature is that many turns have water bars midway through. Is this the most effective way of preventing erosion? Seems like it will lead to a lot of braking rut issues. Plus it really screws up the flowy fun factor that Backbone was known for. Finally a few turns that used to have a decent bank to them are now flat and loose and will soon develop braking ruts as well.

Overall for a lycra clad XC racer running light weight equipment, like me, it's probably an improvemnt. For the agressive tail/all mountain types it will be much tammer.

16. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    They did a great job on the trail work. Go out and ride it, perfect weather.

17. jimmymats

jimmymats Member

Here is some video of the trail from Sunday. I think it'll shape up nicely in time. Hopefully it'll rain some and get packed down. Thanks to those who did the trail work.

[vimeo]11426250[/vimeo]

18. erikqjames

erikqjames Member

Sorry to sound like a total a**hole, but how do I get to the trailhead for this 2.5 mile section of the backbone? I'm only familiar with Kanan Dune/Latigo, castro crest. THANKS!

19. jbbikerider

jbbikerider Member

From PCH at Sycamore canyon campground approx 3 miles in on main trail. Trail starts on your left across from a hydration pipe. To decend the trail you need to climb Overlook trail approx 3 miles(1100 feet of climbing) trail will be on your right. Each point is marked.

20. Brewtal

3 climbing options to the top:

A: Longest climb is Overlook fire road

B: Climb Backbone AKA Wood Canyon Vista Trail

[​IMG]

C: Go just past the log rest stop, on your right, and turn left on Wood Canyon Fire Road. When you get to the fork, go left. That takes you up Hell Hill (D). 30 minute HAB or a hellish climb. Once at the top, go left about 30 yards and look for one of 3 unmarked turns to the left. All 3 will take you to same place and Backbone trail head (X).

[​IMG]