Sycamore Backbone Trail Dozed!

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by jbiron, Apr 22, 2010.

1. jbiron

jbiron New Member

Dad
    The sweetest 2 mi of single track in Ventrua County has been completely bulldozed! I hadn't done this trail for a couple of weeks and was totally shocked this morning when I attempted to climb it. The challenging, rocky lower section has been completely dug up and graded. The awsome burmed turns at the top and middle, flattened, and left with piles of debis on them. The small, but fun rock garden in the middle, gone, completely smoothed over.

Sure there were parts of this great trail that needed some TLC, especially the deepening parallel ruts below the upper burmed section, but these weren't even really fixed. They're partially filled with a bit of loose dirt and mown grass and will likely rut out again after the next rain.

2. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    They couldn't have possibly gotten any heavy equipment up there. Was it done by hand or SWECO?
    How wide is it?

3. surfzombo13

surfzombo13 King of Kooks

Tin Knocker
    Home Page:
    yer tax dollars at work!!!!!!!

4. ShockTheraphy

ShockTheraphy New Member

+1

wait, this is sycamore canyon in pt. mugu in ventura county right? how did they manage to bulldoze it? that's my favorite trail in sycamore.

5. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    This weekend CORBA will be there working on Backbone and Guadalasca. They let the machine do the initial break-up.

6. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    I trust CORBA to do good work. I remember a few years ago when they ran a SWECO down Guadalasca and evenyone was upset. Within a few months the trail was in pristine condition.
    They know what they're doing.

7. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    I disagree. If they remove rocks that are natural features in the trail,that have been there since before any of us were born, then I'd like to know the justification for their removal. Exactly who does it benefit to go in with a machine and widen a trail? To take out a few rocks?
    Basically to sanitize it! To preserve the trail, repair damage and build water run off is fine, to flatten it out is ridiculous!
    HANS?? You there?

8. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    I'll judge it when I see the results. So-called bermed turns is erosion caused by yahoos who couldn't stay on the trail.

9. kanga

kanga Active Member

My understanding is that they (the land managers) have gone in and "prepped" the trail to get ready for this weekend's trail work days. I'm not sure why they thought it needed this much work, as CORBA's initial plan was to do simple water diversion, tread repair and brushing.

This is State Park work, not CORBA's. CORBA and other volunteer groups will be doing the finish treadwork by hand, including water diversions. The soil should be in a good state moisture-wise to work with after the rains this week.

From the sounds of it, I'll be as surprised/disappointed as anyone else when I see it in person initially. But I also know how well trails "come back" after being re-treaded.

If you really care, you'll come out and grab a macleod or pulaski and help out! :)

Edit: http://corbamtb.com/news/2010/04/21/santa-monica-mountains-trails-days-423-25-join-us/

10. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    This sucks....I was going to ride it last week (for the 1st time) but chose a different trail....

11. Brewtal

Brewtal Squirrel Whisperer

:(
    Speechless

12. NipomoGuy

NipomoGuy Tink's first sponsor

flying my mental jet
    Well, at least it sounds like CORBA knows what they are doing.

We get to deal with the CCCMB and FASTA
    Shitheads getting trails closed down so that FASTA can build a freeride area (that's probably never gonna get off the ground, and if it does, it had better be a mini ****ing whistler, cause the trail they are killing is one of the better around here)
    Inconsiderate pricks...

13. Brewtal

Brewtal Squirrel Whisperer

Backbone was my first real descent on a MTB a couple years ago. I had just purchased a shiny new Specialized Rockhopper HT. My buddies took me there after all that "Ya think he's ready?" and "Haha, this is gonna scare the hell outta you!" The extended arm of my buddy gestured for me to take point, and so I did. Soon as we began to pick up speed on the beginning of the trail, I heard from behind, in a GnR voice, "You're gonna diiiiiiiiie!" :lol:

The rocks and ruts and switchbacks and exposure was amazing and unlike anything I had ever ridden before! I loved it and have ever since. In many ways, it was Backbone that secured my addiction to biking in them thar hills.

My first reaction to this happening is not a pleasant one. Anything those, that made the decision to doze this trail, may say to justify the action is, in my opinion, what made the trail what it is.....was. Doesn't matter. What's done is done and there's no putting her back exactly the way she was.

So, I could piss and moan about this (and I will for a little while still) OR I can pack a lunch, grab a shovel, and meet the rest of the crew tomorrow to help out in any way I can and encourage others to do the same! I am a bit apprehensive of what I will see upon my arrival tomorrow but I also feel optimistic of what the trail is going to become. What choice do I have?
    Hope to see other STR members out there!

14. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

WOW, tell us how you really feel! So what trail(s) are you referring to?

15. sdmoondogg

sdmoondogg New Member

I am not familiar with the specific details of the FASTA freeride deal and the trail that is being shut down to allow it. More info would be great.

However, as a CP Alumni I follow CCCMB and the work they have done and will do. They have built more new singletrack in the past 5 years than any advocacy organization in SoCal. The Hazard Peak re-route at MdO is awesome. The 2 miles of contour singletrack at Johnson Ranch is great too, and will be even better when the connection to Irish Hills is made. From what I have heard, they have 10-15 miles of new singletrack to be built on backlog.

Sounds to me like your a little bent because your one favorite trail is being lost. That sucks, really. But overall, I think CCCMB is doing a hell of job for SLO County.

16. NipomoGuy

flying my mental jet
    Well... it's a secretish trail really... Not legal, but it's been there forever, being maintained by us riders... nobody complained until FASTA showed up.

They really have no business doing it, if there was an actuall problem it would be one thing, but they're just doing it so that they can build a lil freeride area. I'm not saying that the CCCMB is bad(shoulda clarified that), they do very good trailwork, but FASTA needs to get lost, they're killing the fun for us local riders and going through the CCCMB to get shit shut down...

17. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

This one:

Current FASTA Project: The Euc Grove

We are working to develop an educational/demonstration technical mountain bike skills area in the Eucalyptus Grove at the base of Morning Glory and Shooters. This project grew directly out of the need to provide a better alternative to the unsanctioned/illegal trails that some cyclists have developed in the West Cuesta Ridge area. FASTA and CCCMB do not support illegal trail development, especially when it ravages sensitive ecological areas.

BTW, as Moderators of STR, we ask that you don't post information about "Illegal trails" as this is a Public Forum and many people troll these forums looking for damaging information.

Also, be prepared to get blasted by all of those people who support "Legal trail building". ;)

18. NipomoGuy

flying my mental jet
    Problem is, it's been there for way before FASTA, we maintained it, not developed it.

I just don't understand why they have to destroy a trail just because they want to build their little park. Why can't they just leave it alone?

19. roach

roach Full Singletrack Tuck

Environmental Planner
    Can't wait to see how this unfolds.
    I feel sorry for you guys that have to ride up there.
    FASTA:lol:

20. MTB4EVER

MTB4EVER New Member

Wanderer