Switchback Cyclery Saying Goodbye

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cowgirl, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Danimal

Danimal Gary the Cat

I rarely if ever shop for bike parts on-line.
    It has always been my opinion that if you should support your local shops.
    What you get for your extra couple bucks is a place for advice, friendly conversation, and that part you need at 4pm on Saturday in order to make the ride on Sunday morning.
    The shop and their employees also put back into the local economy. Which should be important to everyone.

the benefit of internet sales is items you cannot easily find anywhere else.
    Just try and find good freshly roasted Hawaiian Kona coffee beans at a local store.

I shopped at switchback a couple times, and the closing of any local business is
    a sad day indeed.
    Best of luck in your next adventure.

2. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Al, it's nice to hear input from someone who sees the Wal-marting of America and it's impact first hand. Mail order and bulk wholesalers are nothing new but the speed of communication, in just the last few years even is the single largest influence upon the marketplace. A good example was a crazy deal on Thomson posts that popped up here and a few other bike boards that whipped buyers into such a flurry that they were gone in hours. The typical consumer will spend two hours on the phone or in person learning every aspect of a product or service, then walk out/hang up and promptly Google whether they are getting the best price. It affects nearly all industries, knowledge is becoming more portable and accessible and therefore less valuable. People will go to a site to buy due to a price although it's only for a certain size or color, or worse it's used/returned/installed/last years and not what they were looking for and wind up buying something anyway because they are already there. It's multifaceted but the trick is to evolve and stay ahead of the game.

In Tim and Sherry's case they are cutting their losses and doing what's best for them and I think them wise for it. I know they will succeed because they are smart enough to stay ahead of trends rather than bend over backwards trying to follow them.With that said;

There are some unreal deals on gear here folks, SLX brakes for less than $100 per wheel, Suspension closeouts I saw a Pike firm spring and the Metal U-turn knob that fits all Rock Shox. Unreal deals on Trek completes and Santa Cruz Frames, Oakley and Dakine gear, Kenda Rubber your stocking will be overflowing in no time. Go buy something.

3. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    DISCO is right I stopped by Switchback said my thanks and goodbyes and picked up some really good deals...like Hoss short $22.50. Bought about $250 worth of gear for ~$130 and Sherry said don't feel bad its helping us get out in OK shape.

4. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    hope to stop by on Sunday for deals to support part of the mtn bike family!:clap:

5. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

freekengo and I stopped by today to see what the deal was :(

got a light, some lube, and some fork seals.

Sorry to see a great shop go :(

Best of luck in your endeavors!

6. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Ya know, it really struck me a little different when I went into the store today. It was a sad thing to see. I wish you all at switchback the best. I wish I would have had money to help ya out, bu ya know.....

7. Winger

Winger Member

Today I was fixing my bike and realized my derailleur hanger was bent worse than I had realized. I need the bike for a ride tomorrow.....so I get in the car & go to Switchback.

They had the hanger in stock. 5 mins later I was on my way, after Fergus took an extra minute to tighten my headset.....something I had failed to notice was loose.

They are always there to help out immediately when I'm in the middle of a repair and get in over my head. Other places typically want me to leave the bike overnight for every little thing.

This whole thing seems surreal right now. I'm going to be extra sad come February when reality kicks in and I need help with another repair and have to trust my bike to another shop.

Thanks Switchback!

8. katonk

katonk .

Sadly, I can't afford a new bike today. More sadly, when I can afforded a new bike I won't be able to buy it from Switchback. Is there an "official" recommendation from Sherry and Tim as to where to take those dollars in the future? Thanks.

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

I would recomend you spend your money at one of the other 2 LBS.....The Path or Adrenaline.

10. genrec

genrec Member

Is switchback open normal hours tomorrow (sunday)?

11. mtnbikej

We are going to be open regular hours through Christmas......Christmas Eve we will close at 3pm.

12. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery
    Yep...
    Mon - Fri 9-7
    Sat 9-5
    Sun 11-5

See ya soon.

13. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery
    There are alot of great bike shops here in Orange Co...your have The Path, Adrenalin, Rock n Road not to mention Orange Cycle...each shop is unique in what it has to offer so that you can find the shop that best fits you and your needs! I would recommend you try a few and then figure out which one gives you what you want whether it's lowest prices or best service or all the above! I only hope that our leaving will help the other local shops to hang on during these crazy times!

And a big thanks to Al over at Orange Cycle for detailing the reasons why the shops are suffering....you nailed it in our case. Over the past few years we have just watched our margins decrease and our overhead increase....not a mix that can work for the little guys like us.

14. KeepsWhatHappens

KeepsWhatHappens Warriors Society Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Tim and Sherry: Sorry to hear you are having to close the shop. I understand how hard it is too run a small business in this economy. A few people (such as Disco) have eloquently stated how the internet stores have hurt the mom and pop shops so I won't go into that. I'll just say let's all take a lesson from this sad event and channel our bike-related purchases into our LBSs.

Things I'll miss most about Switchback:

1. That warm and fuzzy feeling I got from you and all the people who worked at Switchback making me feel like I was your most important customer.

2. Great service at a good price. Tim is the man when it comes to knowing bike stuff.

3. Chatting with Sherry...we all know Tim is a man of few words. ;)

4. Seeing the tortured look in Rich's eyes when I was again heading out for a ride and he was stuck in the shop working.

Thanks again guys! You are awesome!

15. jonny427

jonny427 Botox User

Biomedical Engineer
    Cowgirl, do you happen to have a SC Juliana in XS or S? I'm thinking of getting one for my fiancee :)

16. mtnbikej

No Juliana's in stock.....but we do have a Small Black Powdercoat Blur XC going for what it would cost to bring in a Juliana. It is only a frame right now, but would could see what we could do.

Geometry on the S Blur XC is the same as S Juliana with more standover clearance(26.6" vs. 27.9").

Come by and see us.:wave:

17. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Went to the shop today to check it out and man, what a deal on the clothing, 50% off. We ended up picking up shoes, jersey's, shorts. I gotta go back later this week to pick up some more stuff.

18. Hanzo

Hanzo .

Yeup I agree. Great deals to be had. I got a pair of shorts, a pump, glasses, and grips. I felt bad buying it but Sherry said if I didn't, it would end up in her garage.

19. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    Went today and got shorts, Gu, and a tire levers...forgot to pickup some tubes..wanted leg warmers for CC...but not my size :( Will Felt road bikes go down to $500? :?: Doubt it, but I'll try and stop by again next weekend. Thnx Switchback!! :clap:

20. mtnbikej

What are you talking about.....the Z100 is already under $500, but I will sell it to you for $500 if you want. #-o