Switchback Cyclery Saying Goodbye

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cowgirl, Nov 26, 2008.

1. forellan

forellan New Member

Tim & Sherry, thanks for all the excellent service and advice that you have given to my family and myself over the years. Your shop was one of the few shops that I could trust, and one of the few shops that could actually tune up a bike correctly. Your shop will be missed!

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Yes, we are open on Friday.......9-7.

Come by and see us. :beer:

3. raulc

raulc New Member

Thanks

Tim, Sherry ,

Seeing this happen to your business makes what we see happening in the economy even more real. It won't be the same without Switchback - even more for you. I know it's cliche, but I do believe that when one door closes another one opens. Hopefully the horse biz will help fill the void. Stay strong, God Bless & see you on the trails . . . Raul

4. WarPony

WarPony ...in the meantime...

Bartender @ Anthill Pub (Student Center UC Irvine)
    If you bring us cool hats (by cool I mean funny) I'll bring the 40's in brown paper bags, and we can sit by the wall at Carl's junior and heckle the passers-by, tell lame stories about nothing, and generally laugh our asses off.

5. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Now that's my kind of party.

I've got a bowler cap:-k, but many more suitable for riding this is the black Friday spot to shop.

6. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
    Thanks!

What?! I'm very sorry to hear that. Switchback was the only place I went before every race the past few years to get my bike race ready. You'll definitely be missed.

THANKS SO MUCH!!

7. AAARGH!

AAARGH! A Pirate's Life For Me

not cool!!!

Wow, although I've never been to the shop, we got to meet both Tim and Sherry at the women's clinic I sent my girls to. Thank you so much for that. It was obvious you guys are passionate about what you do, you will do well in any venture you take on! I've often wondered how the small shops stay in biz and compete. It is becoming more and more difficult, especially in THIS economy. Thank you for your service to the bike community.:beer:

8. posthole

posthole New Member

peddler of bikes with a magic button
    Home Page:
    Tim, Sherry, and the entire crew,

I wish you the very best and thank you for all that you have done for the local riders. Your energy and dedication to cycling is much appreciated and everyone always spoke highly of you. Have fun in your new adventures and we hope that you have more time to ride your bikes and horses!

9. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery
    Big Thanks!!!

Thanks to everyone for coming by and showing your support the last couple days...we appreciate everything you have all done for us and all the kind words we have been getting personally and on this message board...at one point yesterday I had to stop reading it because I was too emotional when reading it!!!

See you on the Trails!!

Sherry

10. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    I stopped by the shop today, and a chick wearing a beanie and riding a kids bike with training wheels- was hassling me about shuttling San Juan and riding a SlopeStyle. :lol:

11. xhuskr

xhuskr Powered by Guinness

Teacher (da wee ones)
    I hope to stop by Sunday to help you clear out some of your inventory...if only I'd know on Tuesday!:-s

got leg warmers and/or SRAM chains still? :?::?:

12. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery
    That chick was Danielle....

13. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    she's a meanie. :lol:

14. richwolf

richwolf New Member

Sorry to hear about Switchback's passing.
    I started and ran a bike shop too, and eventually I saw the handwriting on the wall. However, unlike you folks, it didn't break a lot of hearts when I closed my doors.
    You know the old saying that the secret of making a small fortune in the bike business is to start out with a large fortune!
    Good luck to you and your family!

15. RED5

RED5 Banned

Home Page:
    I'm sad....

Good luck and god bless

16. -AL-

-AL- New Member

Bike Shop Dude
    I honestly never expected this. Although we were competitors, we always had respect for Switchback. Whenever we had people looking for Trek or Felt products we would send them to Switchback. We would rather see people shop at another mom and pop store than a chain store like Jax or Performance. In this difficult business, it's hard to watch a mom and pop that were so dedicated to the local riding scene close it doors. I am being very sincere when I say that I wish you the best of luck. Al @ Orange Cycle.

17. Jmatt

Jmatt Wherever I go, There I am

Quotes & Related Thoughts

I liked that post, made me remember something Mark Twain wrote in his story "Taming the Bicycle" circ. 1884

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live."

Here is a link to more of it:
    http://www.twainquotes.com/Bicycle.html

:).

18. Julia12

Julia12 Guest

Sad to hear you are closing your store. The clinic I attended at your shop was great. Hope to ride with you soon. I'll stop by tomorrow.

19. lego2000

lego2000 Member

Wireless
    Tim & Sherry - I am so sorry about your closing. Thanks for all your help with my first moutain bike purchase and services. I was looking forward to many, many, many years of going to your shop for advice, tips, encouragement, services, etc... I learned alot from the Women's clinic and I still practice what I learned that day (especially figure eight) :) I hope to see you on the trails in the future. BEST of the luck to you guys!!!
    - Joyce

20. -AL-

-AL- New Member

Bike Shop Dude
    This is a symptom of people supporting mailorder. A lot of people think their LBS charge too much for parts and don't realize why the LBS price is higher than mailorder. It's all in the overhead, which is the electric bill, payroll, inventory, rent factor etc. Not to mention all the taxes you have to pay. So if the mailorder site offers a part at a 25% mark up and the local bike shop has an overhead of 35%, who's price will be lower? So say I am LBS and I am selling parts at 1% above my overhead and I am making a penny on every dollar I bring in, then my landlord raises my rent by 20%, because he realizes he can someone with deeper pockets in that space. I have to either raise my prices or close my doors. This is what LBS like Switchback, The Path and Orange Cycle have to deal with. Because most of you would rather save a few dollars while the LBS go broke.