Support getting US racers to the World Championships

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by vlad, Aug 10, 2013.

1. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Is this cool or what:

http://www.mbaction.com/Main/News/11000-Raised-For-Americas-World-Championship-Team-7025.aspx

Scott Tedro cuts USAC sanctioning of US Cup races since USAC does not give back to rank and file racers and puts all its money into qualifying our racers to the Worlds. USAC gets our racers qualified (actually the racer's hard work does) but tells them they, for all practical purposes, have to pay their own way. Scott then starts a fund to help our racers pay their way, puts his own money up and gets over $15,000 of donations. The American mountain biking people come through where America's mountain biking governing body doesn't.

Donated what Scott asked for which gets me a free race entry for a US CUp race next year, plus the $60.00 I will save by not needing to renew my USAC annual liscence next year (all but one local MTB race series is no longer, or never was, sanctioned by USAC). Figured I'm breaking even while supporting guys and girls who race in the Red, White and Blue!

Come on STR - Donate at: http://www.gofundme.com/3vs3yw

2. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I am curious where is the rest of the money going? Unless my math is WAY off or there is a typo if they have raised 11,000 plan to give each rider (35 riders)a check for $100 that leaves $7500.

3. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    The $100 per person is Scott's /shoair's donation. The site states that all the money will be equally split between all the racers.

4. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Personally, I think that USAC's lack of support is a shame. I think that USAC should pay to send all participants to World Championships - in all disciplines.
    This should be a regular part of USAC's budget. I haven't examined USAC's budget, but they should do everything to make it happen every year.

5. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Where would USAC get all the money for this?
    What would USAC benefit from covering all the rider's costs?
    While I know it might happen in other disciplines, I don't think it's the norm for a sanctioning body to sponsor riders. Think of what the description of a sanctionin body actually is.
    Don't these world championship candidates have sponsors to cover their costs? If not, and I understand why not, if companies don't see a value in sponsoring these riders, again, what is the value in a sanctioning body sponsoring them?

Just a few questions for discussion.

6. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

The most recent financial information available is the 2011 report...

http://www.usacycling.org/usa-cycling-inc-fiscal-information.htm

Highlights:

Income:
    $4.8m from membership fees
    $3.2m from sanctioning and licensing fees

Expenses:
    $4.4m to membership and development?
    $3.9m to coaches and training center?
    $1.3m to national and international events?

Look at page 17-18 for the detail of where the money was spent and you'll see that our fees to USA Cycling pay for the people accepting those fees, and not for their stated purpose. Rated as a charity (USA Cycling is listed as a non-profit) its expense to benefit ratio is horrendous. For every dollar put in, it appears that less than $.25 goes towards their stated purpose of USA Cycling.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/USACWeb/forms/media/2011-USA-Cycling-Annual-Report.pdf

See if you can find where money is given to the large number of athletes who are "supported" and "developed" for international success. I'll give you a hint: don't look for the biggest # in either the detailed financials or the annual report.

7. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Reading some of USAC's mission statement and such, mentions support and making US best cycling nation.
    I do think the overall promotion of bike racing fits in their mission, including monetary support of riders.
    Where would the $ come from? Good question, but I do think it should be budgeted.
    It would be a shame if some of those 35 can't go to worlds.

I come from a swimming background and there is pretty good support from regional competition all the way up to worlds. I remember there being travel surcharges on meet entries to support those efforts. Now, swimming probably has a much bigger budget.

8. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Who benefits from all of this racing? Most likely the bike manufacturers and associated products (nutrition, clothing, etc.). Shouldn't they be fueling the competitive side of the sport rather than asking me to do it? I'll give my money to trail access and trail development - maybe the high school racing league. Let the manufacturers, bike shops, racers association and governing body figure out how to get racers to the top level.

9. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

The biggest beef I have from USA Cycling is that it does little to promote a larger overall user base. Increasing the base provides a larger population from which to draw racers. Large population + small talent pool = lack of sustained success. (BTW, the similarity between the Vision and Mission of USA Cycling tells me that they don't understand the difference between the two...that points to a fundamental issue as well).

The big bike companies have been promoting trail access, sharrows, underwriting lobbying efforts for bicycle rights, etc., in order to make it easier for them to sell their products. Selfish, good business, and it puts more people on their most profitable (entry-level) products. (See Trek, which yesterday gave firm $$ commitments to IMBA, League of American Bicyclists, others...not the only one by any means)

Racing benefits the sales of their high-end products, which under most business models, while having equally high margins, also contribute significantly less to the bottom line. The benefits of racing are not directly monetary, as is true with most forms of racing (except Porsche, which despite being the smaller company, had enough profit and leverage to attempt to acquire Volkswagen...but that's another story).

However, its the non-usa cycling events that increase the cycling base.

USA Cycling fails on both accounts, and not providing assistance in the direction of their stated Vision and Mission Statement is further evidence of that failure. (Cost of round trip flight from Atlanta to WC in South Africa booked at the last minute is $2k, including all taxes, surcharges and transfers). Costs are knowable and can be budgeted for. Not doing so is incompetent, at best.

10. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I didn't read the financials or anything, but I have to agree with giving money to trail access and high school league. There are probably a lot of kids that would like to be able to upgrade bike components or replace parts, or travel to an event that can't and could use the help.

IMO, and this is just my opinion, the vast majority at least of ELITE racers (I *think* the development riders may get a bit more support) don't actually pay their own way. Their sponsors are paying, or should at least assist. I know traveling to S. Africa is pretty far and going to be expensive.

If you aren't an automatic selection, you petition to go race, and like signing up to do any travel race, have to be aware of the costs involved in going. Some riders try to raise money through donations or raffles, and that's great if they can get it.

The top racers don't pay to go race anywhere; their sponsors or USAC pays the way and if you're one of the best, that's as it should be. In 2010 I petitioned to race Mont-Sainte-Anne, knew it was going to be expensive and out of pocket, saved up, and I got to go race, and had an awesome life experience. I wasn't an automatic selection based on the criteria (didn't have the time or money to travel to World Cups for anything close to that), so I never expected anyone else to fund my trip.

I can't speak for anyone else since I don't know, but I don't think any of the top Elite racers are paying their own travel and race fees. 5-10th maybe/probably some, and there are a few that pay for it all, but, it's a tough road.