Super D

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Sharky, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Southridge super d
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfromlv [​IMG]
    "Thanks, everyone should try super d, imo. If you're interested in racing, it is super low key, and lots o' fun."

Want to race xc this year but I've heard many ask other than myself exactly what is super d ? Can you explain the difference to doing the xc course. Does it include part of the DH course thrown in.:-k Easier/more difficult than xc? (Southridge specifically since that will be my first race experience) Hoping it might include a later start time since I have jobs first thing a.m.

2. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    Super D was originally intended to be "old school DH". In the time before monster travel, or suspension that worked really well, DH consisted of bombing fire roads, with an occasional short climb to link to a nice singletrack. I think over the last few years, after initially introducing Super D, promoters have been fine tuning it. From what I have found, each promoter has their own personal preference, or take, on what a course should be.
    Fontana's courses are generally very short, in comparison to others I have done. The guy who almost always wins out there used to set up the courses, and they tended to have an = mix of climbing and DH. This year, however; Donny, who is the promoter, has been setting up the courses, and they're leaning towards a DH run.
    Yesterday's course was really fast, I chose to do it on my 5" travel bike, with pro-pedal fully engaged. My brother did it on his 6" travel bike, no pro-pedal, we were within 3 seconds of each other, and we are pretty much the same speed. The course yesterday went down the Beg/Sport DH course, with some different things to add two very short climbs to it.
    Hope all this rambling was useful, I tend to get very excited when new people want to check out racing.:bang:

3. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Few questions...I've ridden the xc course. Did they use much of it or any at all yesterday in super d? Not sure from your post. (maybe those were the climbs you mentioned) Also, sounds like the super D more difficult then due to the DH...is that your opinion? That DH section isn't easy!! Guess it really depends on your riding strengths/skills?? I'm going out there today with one of my housemates to ride them. He'll have his DH bike and myself on the blur (5.5 travel)...hope I don't die but I'll have fun trying. :) (think I better take those guards we borrowed)
    And thanks for the background and info...I am excited to get a race in. Very helpful...

4. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    Although the super d course yesterday did not incorporate it, we generally use the singletrack downhill portion of the xc course, which is after you climb the pavement, climb past the DH starting area, continue to the next hill, and it descends the backside of that. Like I said, yesterday's course was a little more DH than normal, not that I minded.:clap:

5. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

if i ever get back into shape, i would be up for some super d action if its on saturdays

6. socalskiresorts

socalskiresorts socalskiresortsdotcom

not sure
    Home Page:
    I want to race the super d I just have a hard tail

7. ride hard

ride hard rocks hurt >.

ive been looking into starting to race super d thanks for the description jfromlv

8. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

super d is sweet since its basically like the trail riding we do except that its timed and its pretty much an all our sprint.