Sunset/ Chaney Trail to Echo Mtn Road Still Closed

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by stuffshredman, Nov 8, 2009.

1. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

engineer - AI, some robotics
    I'm sure most folks already know this, but I have heard quite a bit of confusion on trail closures. This post is to clear up any confusion regarding Sunset, Chaney Trail and Echol Mtn Road up to the top of Sunset.

There is no closure signage at the top of Sunset, but it is definitely closed.

At the bottom when you meet up with Chaney Trail, the gates allowing access to Echo Mtn Road are closed/ locked with closure signage on the gate.

At the bottom of Chaney Trail, near Alta Loma Road, the gate is closed and locked with similar signage.

A

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2009
  2. davidB

davidB Active Member

But there's no signs if you climb LSM and take the connector trail over? :?: Asking because i honestly don't know, and could see some people getting in trouble for that

3. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

It's too bad you didn't get to ride Sunset before the fire. A really fun trail.

Don't bother, now.

They really need to put up signage because one might think it to be open if they cut over on Echo Mtn Trail after coming up Lower Sam Merrill.

If you did happen to ride down Echo Mtn/ Mt. Lowe Road, you can easily see the trail in many spots. So many mini-landslides, chunky rocks, tree bits and debris.. it wouldn't even be fun to ride.

One section you can see from the road is completely blocked by several burned and fallen trees. You can see a 30ft new little trail where some folks have cut over to the road from Sunset when they came up on the blockage.

It's gonna be a while before this gem opens back up.

BTW - at Echo, while admiring the smog, some older German guy starts chatting us up. Friendly at first, joking about wanting to borrow our bikes to ride down and the cross training would do us good.

The guy asks if we are headed down Sunset. I said no, cause I thought it was closed. Then he starts on some tirade about how bikers were gonna ruin Lower Sam Merrill just like we did Sunset. He mentioned that folks were bombing down Castle Canyon and we are screwing that up.

He made some comment that I'm not ready for that trail cause I drink too much beer and don't have enough pads on (was he trying to say I look like a fat noob??)...

then he starts in with this spooky laugh when he tells us he ran into some armored up "homies" (sounds weird in German accent) and they were waiting for one of their buds for over half an hour.

I said, "half an hour!? hope the guy's not dead" to which the German dood said, "I hope he is" :eek:

So, um, watch out up there. I wouldn't be surprised if that guy elbows someone off the side when passing climbing LSM...

Totally. But I'm here to say it's definitely closed, and certainly not worth the bother.

Your avatar is freaking me out.

4. Piranha

Piranha Member

Station Fire Recovery Order

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

If uncertain call either of the two individuals below
    Los Angeles River Ranger District
    12371 N. Little Tujunga Canyon Road
    San Fernando, CA 91342
    Howard S. Okamoto, Recreation Officer
    818-899-1900
    FAX 818-896-6727
    CRS 1 800 735 2929
    M-F 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

or

Los Angeles River Ranger District
    12371 N. Little Tujunga Canyon Road
    San Fernando, CA 91342
    Mike McIntyre, District Ranger
    818-899-1900
    FAX 818-896-6727
    CRS 1 800 735 2929
    M-F 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

5. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

Thanks for reposting this.

It's nice to have the phone numbers (unless you need to call them Sunday morning :)).

I did look, however, but the maps are so crummy and the written order is like deciphering hieroglyphics... that I thought I'd start this thread to end the confusion.

6. IMALLSLO

IMALLSLO S G V

Ive seen those links as many have Tom,just wish the forest service would either simplify the language in Exhibit A or present a map that is actually decipherable. That could be a map of Africa if you ask me. Our tax dollars hard at work eh. Those following the fire and events proceeding would know that trails that were rideable/hikeable 3 months ago are now off limits but some out of towners or someone not in the know might find themselves in out of bounds area without knowing. Who makes a phone call before heading out for a day of adventure? I heard signage may be up soon? 11 months and counting.:bang:

7. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

yeah, I actually had a buddy from Portland visiting that I took up LSM. He looked over and saw the Echo Mt. Trail over to Sunset. We went to the top of Sunset to see the burnage, which you can definitely see from there. I was surprised not to see any signage of any kind, knowing what I know about the fire.

We decided to roll down Mt. Lowe road.. mostly cause we didn't want to ride back by the freaky German guy. 8-[ With all the burnage, you can get many good glimpses of Sunset and it looks awful. All the signage is at the bottom.

8. Piranha

Piranha Member

I am in complete agreement with your statements Chris. My post was a rather poor attempt at sarcasm due to my frustration. Like many others, I sure as hell can't afford a $5K bike ride. I would much rather get a new MTB if I had that kind of disposable income.
    Does anyone know what the adventure pass funds are used for?

9. Piranha

Piranha Member

Freaky German guy? lol

Care to elaborate?

10. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

11. IMALLSLO

IMALLSLO S G V

The funds are used to fill the gas tanks of the vehicles the forest service personal are driving to give us tickets for not having a pass. Its a viscous viscous circle.

12. stuffshredman

stuffshredman Member

And they must be saving up for a long winter, cause they are creepy crawling all over the Chantry lot. The Pack station is getting some good last minute business these days...