Sunday ride at Aliso..

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by chumbaracing, Feb 2, 2005.

1. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

A group will be riding on Sunday at ALiso around 11, PM me if ur interested in going..beginner and advanced.

2. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Who all is going? Not sure if I'll go because of the ONLY football game of the year that I watch is on that day. If ride time was earlier than 11 I might go.

3. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

group of guys from church who ride Chumba Wumbas..we ride after the first service..were gonna meet up at around 10 at the church, then head on over there...

4. jinks

jinks New Member

Home Page:
    I'd go, but my church starts at 11, hehe. Oh, plus my wife's running a half marathon on Sunday, so I'm on kid watch. What church do you go to?

5. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

Newsong on Jamboree..you?

6. jinks

jinks New Member

Home Page:
    Right now I'm at this little start up church in Irvine called Exodus3, but I'm going to be moving on. My wife wants to check in on some friend's churches and some other churches in town during March-May, and then we'll most likely settle down at Newsong. my bro goes there and loves it.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but if on the off chance that I can make the ride on Sunday at 11am, I'll be there! But unfortunately my new bike has a blown fork, so I'll be riding my '97 heckler for a few weeks.

7. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

hey..let me know when u want to come visit Newsong...we'll go for a ride afterwards...

8. moochy

moochy New Member

Student
    I'm gunna ride aliso tomorrow but i'm gunna go earlier cuz of the superbowl. If you guys go earlier than 11 then i'll join ya.

9. Von-Skipp

Von-Skipp FLOW

Student
    I will ride Aliso...

possible 10 or 11....

let me know!

10. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

were gonna be going at 12:30 -12:40 ...look out for a bunch of CHumba Wumba bikes..that'll be us...

11. i am dino

i am dino Guest

I may be up for an ALISO ride, if I go, i'll plan on leaving the main lot around 9.

12. imapodaddy

imapodaddy New Member

Home Page:
    Aliso Woods Maps

Does anyone have a map of Aliso? I rode there last Saturday with some friends and all I know is we went through:
    Meadows
    Top of the World
    Lynx
    Cholla
    Rockit

Just about died when pushing my bike up Meadows and Cholla.
    #-o
    My computer totaled 13.5 miles for the day. But I was hoping to see a map to get an idea where I went.

Thanks,

RL

13. moochy

moochy New Member

Student
  14. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    I've got a pretty decent map but I can't remember where I got it from. Shoot me your email if you want me to send it to you.

15. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager
    Keep plugging

Just keep riding and you'll be cleaning Meadows in no time. The quickest way to become a strong climber is to start stepping up to higher gears while climbing.

If you normally sit and spin in first gear on a particular hill; try notching it up one gear and see how that feels. If you are comfortable standing, push it up a few notches and hammer out of the saddle for short periods.

Meadows, Cholla, Mathis, and Rock-It can all be easily cleaned in the middle ring once you get your climbing skills up.

Just keep hammering and the hills will bow before you in no time.

Aliso is a great place to practice skills and develop strong climbing muscles.

Hope to see you out there sometime. I usually spend a lot of time out there, especially once the time changes and I can drop by just about every night after work.

Have fun.

16. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

JamR..whats the best way to train for climbing? Should i do short runs of hammering then rest a bit? Or shold i maintain a steady pace throughout?

17. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

i might also add that i have a HRM...i'll pedal in a real high gear or on my SS for like 5 minutes until im at 90-95 percent of my max HR, then rest for 1-2 minutes and continue..is this a good method..?

18. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager
    Training

What I've had the best success with is what I gleaned from my competitive days of running. When I'm riding seriously in the spring and summer; most of my riding is just getting in comfortable base rides.....moderate distance 15 to 20 miles at an easy pace.
    Once a week I will do a long steady climb, STT, Harding, San Juan, etc... and once a week I will do fast intervals on a short climb section. I usually do this training on a trail like Cholla, where I will stand and hammer up Cholla, then roll down Rubber Ridges back to the bottom of Cholla. I will repeat that 10 to 20 times. Intervals really build a strong cardio. When I'm in peak shape, my resting HR usually stays right around 48 bpm.

The rock garden at Rock-It is also a good interval spot when the park is not busy. It's shorter and a little more intense than Cholla, but you get a little beat up after coming back down the rock garden 10 or 12 times in a row.

I prefer Cholla.

Just mix it up periodically and have fun.

19. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

I hope to ride with you soon to learn pointers..hopefully this work project will be over soon, im working 13+ hrs per day..

20. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

I hope to ride with you soon to learn pointers..hopefully this work project will be over soon, im working 13+ hrs per day..