SUBARU WRX - Any drivers here?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by DownHillPhil, Feb 6, 2008.

1. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    hey guys,

I'm considering trading in my 350Z for an '07 WRX. I need something that can handle a bike rack... #-owhich sucks cause I love the Z, but I love MTB equally. I was wondering if there are any Subie drivers on here that could give me some feedback on the reliability of the Subaru brand.

Firsthand accounts always beat internet reviews.

So, let me know! Thanks!! any feedback is appreciated.

2. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

they're not bad, i've yet to see of any real problems with the cars that have come into the shop. the interior quality is suspect, but that isn't really a reliability issue. the engine is pretty much bullet proof in the stock configuration and should last a few 100k.. the transmission is a weak point if you intend on making more than 350 whp, you will want to go with stronger RA gears or swap in a 6spd tranny, driveshaft and rear end from an STI.

3. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Never owned one but did a ton of AutoXing in them and have worked on them. Drives like a FWD drive and easy to induce drifts in this 4WD car. If you are even semi-mechanically inclined then it will be a reliable car. The biggest issue with the WRX is oil levels. It's not as bad as the Mazda Rotary per say but you do want to make sure it's topped off to keep it from running dry especially if you are playing with boost levels. If you are a casual driver then their is really nothing to worry about. If you plan to drive it hard and for some long distance runs I would recommend at the very least a turbo timer. Easy to work on. You can adjust your own camber (even easier if you buy the Eibach camber bolts for insanely cheap from tire rack), caster, and toe fairly easily. Parts between the WRX, wagons, Forester, etc are pretty much swappable and after market support is huge. If you have more questions or want to hook up with other subbie drivers there are two local subbie chapters I used to run with. These guys are great, knowledgeable and will help you out in a jam.

4. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

i looked at the new STi's this weekend...that thing is cool in person...but 35k is hard to swallow there's a lot of cars out there one can spend your hard earned money on in that price range/

5. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Agreed. You can get a MazdaSpeed3 for less.

6. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    The question is - why would you want a MazdaSpeed3 to begin with? :lol:

Subies are pretty cool. I agree on 35k for the STI though. I'd rather spend that kind of money on a year old IS350 :bang:

7. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Trying to stay within DownHillPhils requirements I suppose. Sadly, I used to work for Mazda and it's probably the only "fairly" decent car they came out with.

8. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    Wow dudes thanks for the responses. Seems like, from here and my friends that have Subies, the only reason people sell them is 1) racing tickets, 2) buying the new model.

I'd say crash them, but it's an AWD beast of a rally car...who crashes a subie? :?:

This bodes well for me. Now I may actually be able to go riding without Deusxq to chauffeur me around.

Edit - I should clarify, I'm not looking to buy an STI - just the WRX trim. $22-25k is my price target.

9. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Oh okay. In that case I would opt for the cheaper normal WRX model vs. the STI. The subie pulls off the roof rack look very well, IMO. Looks like it was made to have a roof rack.

10. DownHillPhil

DownHillPhil Team Rider

Photography
    I'll probably head over to my local EVO/STI tuning hotspot and see how much it'd cost me to get up to 275 whp.

11. foofighter

you'd be surprised how many subies and audi's get wrecked because people seem to think that AWD and Quattro defies the laws of physics so they push the limits and get in WAY over their head...result crashed car.

and i like the "wagon" or 5 door as it proves to be very versatile when you need to haul things heck i think you can fit your bike in there if you drop the seatpost down and fork mount it. that way it's safe and sound :)

12. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

i'd go with the wagon since you can put the back seats down and its super practical to stuff crap in the back hatch area. i don't think you can even put the back seats down on the sedan. since you are in PV, i'm guessing Harmann Motive is your local evo/wrx tuning shop?

i agree with Duan, just because a car is AWD it will not make a bad driver any better... it just has a larger room for error in driving skills.

13. 0gravity

0gravity New Member

Editor, Windpower Monthly (trade magazine)
    I would consider a Legacy GT if I were you if you're in that price range. It's got the same turbocharged engine that the WRX has, the same suspension, but it's a nicer looking car in my opinion. The STI is the worst looking one of all. Subaru neutered that car with the new design.

14. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

he's looking to spend in the low 20k range

15. foofighter

not sure what the price is for the forester but that thing looks funky in a cool way also has the same motor that's in the WRX so it's a total wolf in sheeps clothing. :)

16. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

i have a friend with a forester gt sedan, i think his is making around 350whp and looks bone stock :bang:

17. SheDevil

SheDevil I just ride my bike....

For 35-40 you can get a loaded Infinity EX...new on the market. Drove one last weekend...pretty impressive :)

18. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Been thinking about an Outback Sport for my next ride. Anyone have experience with that model?

19. autoduel

autoduel sandbagger

Architecture
    Agreed.
    Who wants to spend 2X the cost of the base model to get an upgraded version. Sure, it probably drives 2x better, but the interior is not. And you can't shake the stigma of the souped up econobox.

20. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

And forgive my ignorance, but what precisely is the beef with the interior quality on Subies?