STT Ride Report

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by kioti, Dec 19, 2008.

1. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    As long as it's done through proper channels, it's no problem at all.

I agree with Dean here. When the WS/SHARE puts the word out for public help like the time we did work on the MW, we had over 60 people. We do plan on major trail work on the MW again and will probably be needing public help on that. I'll let everyone know when that is. That this does not mean you can't go out and organized your own trail work event, but as Dean states, you will usually have to jump through hoops to get it approved. When doing trailwork with the WS or SHARE, you will sign a waiver. When working with Jim, you are under his guidance. He assumes full responsibility for your well being while you are out volunteering. It all comes down to a liability issue. We either work under those guidelines or don't wok at all. Doesn't seem right does it? Here is the link if you are interested:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/volunteering/trabuco.shtml

2. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    I realize that I didn't give much notice for yesterday's trailwork event, and I am appreciative of everyone who had the time, and was willing and able to help out.

What I am attempting to do is to make a kind of 911 response to evolving conditions in the areas affected by last year's fire, as opposed to the more usual 'planned' trailwork events. My goal is to work on areas of potential and actual erosion before, sometimes during, and immediately after storms to limit and repair damage, preserve trails and build in sustainability.

I have been given authority to hold "one-day" trailwork events that are open to the general public, as well as official volunteers. The USFS asks that I have everyone who volunteers put their name on a sign-in sheet, and that I call the Forest Service before and after the event, letting them know the number of volunteers, our route, destination, estimated time out, etc. We are also working on trails where I have the authorization to conduct trailwork assignments that are accomplished in a USFS approved manner.

Anyone who is interested in helping out can contact me via private message, especially after big storms. Provide an Email address or phone number and I will get back to you ASAP. You are also encouraged to contact the Forest Service directly at the link Gene posted above, or simply show up at a SHARE or other planned event.

Its a great feeling to know that you helped improve a trail that is enjoyed by hundreds of your fellow riders.

3. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    Here are some pictures from December 24th. These are the areas we fixed on Sunday on the way to Old Camp. Overall they held up very nice to the rain we had earlier in the week.

We filled in the rut with rocks and dirt, you can see where it was from all the dark dirt running down near the middle.
    [​IMG]

A water bar Jim had built that he fixed up.
    [​IMG]

Work Mykyta and I worked on to divert the water off the trail.
    [​IMG]

Another one to divert water off the trail.
    [​IMG]

Same area, just shows how the water runs down that rut and hits the berm.
    [​IMG]

Another water bar.
    [​IMG]

Work Jim and Ken did to fill in a heavily rutted area.
    [​IMG]

Same area from the other side.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Another slight water bar to make the water run into the rut on the left.
    [​IMG]

So as you can see, it all held up very well from the rain earlier in the week. I believe that even if we end up getting heavy rain tonight/tomorrow that it will hold.

4. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    jim and jon- it was good meeting you yesterday on our ride. thanks again for all the great work. please keep us posted on future work; i have all of next week off and would like to help out. i've ridden to old camp twice in the last 10 days--for free--so it's time to pay some dues...

doug

5. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    It was good meeting you also.

When did you see us? When we were near the top? Where you guys the ones that dismounted and walked? I met several other people also that are on here.

Anyway, I believe Jim is going to check on the trails on Friday if it isn't raining. I sent him an e-mail asking him to post up the information if the trails need it.

6. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    I rode out the STT today to about a mile past the flag, and then down the Luge, and both trails look fine. Fortunately, everything held up to this week's storms with minimal damage.

As far as trailwork is concerned, I've been hitting it pretty hard for the last few months, so I'm going to hold off on any new projects this weekend, and just ride. I'll still be doing some small projects over the next few weeks, and anyone interested in helping out should PM me with their Email address and phone number. Thanks, and see you out there.

7. mytrustysteed

mytrustysteed Middle...the new granny

Thank you to all who did the trail work on STT! It definitely needed it. Thank you very much. :clap:

8. rwmagnus

rwmagnus Member

Salesman Section 42 LIHTC
    +1 for all those who did that trail work looks really great.