STT Ride Report

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by kioti, Dec 19, 2008.

1. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    I took a spin up the STT yesterday (Thurs) to see the snow and check on the trails. I thought it was going to be cold and took enough clothing to have a garage sale, but it was actually fairly mild. Its great to see so much snow higher up, but I'm going to need chains before I ride the Main Divide!?!

The STT is in pretty good shape from the gate to the flag, with the exception of a few areas of minor rockfall, a pretty good sized mudslide, and a scouring of the trail surface on the descent to the flag (at Vulture Crags). Watch yourself here because I know someone who already picked the wrong line and went over the bars (not me).

The climb past the flag is OK except for the area we worked on before the re-opening. I think there's just too much run-off for the trail to handle without culverts, etc. I guess it just has to be put back together after storms like these, with an attempt to divert the water when possible. Right now there are a few HABs in the first 1/2 mile past the flag, then conditions improve all the way to Cadillac, where I turned around.

I worked the Luge before, during and after the storm and kept a few problems from getting out-of-hand. Cathy Chilcote helped on one particularly productive day. Its a little crazy, but mostly fun--but be careful, there are rocks, ruts, holes, and spots where the outside edge of the trail fell away.

DSCN0470.jpg

DSCN0478.jpg

DSCN0482.jpg

DSCN0472.jpg

DSCN0480.jpg

DSCN0471.jpg

DSCN0466.jpg

DSCN0485.jpg

Attached Files:

2. maxwell

maxwell Dirty Stinky PATH Love

CRASH TEST DUMMY $#%&*^#
    Home Page:
    Thanks for the report, and work you've done!

Those pictures are of STT, and not the Luge, right?

3. chanson

chanson doepicshit.

Web Designer
    Heard Blackstar was totally ride able this morning all the way to Beeks.

4. kioti

kioti Active Member

That's right, Maxwell, those photos are of the STT before and after the flag, though not necessarily in order. They are from Thursday 12-18-08. I was either having too much fun, or trying to avoid ruts, to take many shots of the Luge.

5. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    I'll give that the weekend to dry out.

6. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    We did Old Camp this afternoon and you are right Kioti, there are problems on STT after the Luge if they don't get help and we get a big rain we risk loosing that road all together.

Thought we would find snow somewhere up there...none, it is melting fast. Pic looking out at Joplin and Main Divide from the clearing before you drop down to Old Camp.

Dean

Attached Files:

7. SKINNY

SKINNY Lube, Ride, Repeat

Home Page:
  8. kioti

kioti Active Member

I'm planning to work on the STT on Sunday afternoon, December 21st. If you'd like to help out, plan to be at Cook's at noon, on the bike by 12:15 and hopefully working the area after the flag by 1:00. Park at the east end of the parking lot in the gated area. I drive a red '96 Toyota Tacoma, license plate: KIOTI. Call me at (949) 766-4434 so I'll know how many tools are needed. Thanks,

Jim Jennings

9. SKINNY

Home Page:

Does the forest service mind ppl doing trail maintenance without their guidance?

10. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Jim aka kioti is an official registered FS volunteer with a call sign and reports to Debra Clarke all the work done.

11. jamisjake

jamisjake Active Member

Industrial Mechanic
    Thanks for the RR and the pics!

12. SKINNY

Home Page:
    That's cool... I didnt know you could do that.. Thanks.

13. kioti

kioti Active Member

I contacted the Forest Service last year after the Forest Closure signs went up. I wanted to work on the Luge, and I didn't want to do it illegally. Debra Clarke, who is their volunteer coordinator, then sent me an application, which was approved. I, in turn, request permission to do specific work, and the District Ranger grants permission, if the request is acceptable and meets USFS standards.

Several people I know also became official volunteers, and we were able to go into the burn area and prepare trails for the re-opening. Near the re-opening date, I was given permission to organize trailwork events for non-official volunteers, and a number of people came out and worked with me on the STT, the Luge and the MW.

The Warriors Society also came out, as individuals and as a group, to improve these trails and offer advice, tools, etc. Without all their work over the years, who knows if a lot of these trails would even be here, let alone rideable.

Overall, the USFS has been very supportive, and as a result, these trails are mostly in great shape. I think its important for mountain bikers to continue to get out there and take care of the trails we ride, and the next few months will be crucial as the forest recovers from last year's fire.

14. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    a BIG THANKS to jim and gene and everybody else who worked on the trails. we rode to old camp last sunday and, although i didn't ride those trails much pre-fire, the stt was as good as i remembered it and the luge was much better. all of the water-diversions on the luge should really help it hold up.

naturalist sidenote: it was great to see all of the flora coming back post-fire--lots of foot-high plants, including the matilija poppy (fried-egg plant) and little forests of yucca.

15. dstepper

Home Page:
    Jim, wish I did not already have plans or I would help you out. I did not look real close but it looks like the bad washout the water that is causing the problem is coming from the road up above.

Dean

Attached Files:

16. kioti

kioti Active Member

Thanks for the head's up. I'll see if there's a way to divert the water before it hits the trail, otherwise its just going to keep happening.

17. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    As you know, I'll be there.

18. kioti

kioti Active Member

I want to thank Jon Draheim, Mykyta Yurtyn and Ken Rands for working with me on the STT today. We worked on the area beyond the flag where runoff is damaging the trail. This is the third time these spots have been repaired since the fire, and they continue to be problematic.

It takes hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of volunteer work to keep these trails rideable each year.
    So please consider doing a little trailwork in the coming months.

Nothing says mountain bikers deserve to be on these trails better than when we get out there and take care of them.

19. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    Trust me, organizing trail work on this board can be a touchy subject. Sorry I left you high and dry, getting better but still under the weather. Things will be soft all next week though, and hopefully I won't contagiously spread the gift that keeps on giving.

Happy Holidays.

20. dstepper

Home Page:
    I disagree. There where some problems in the past asking for trail help at the Flying B Ranch and other trails that where not open to public use except for docent rides.

CORBA seems to have good support from this site, last El Prieto Trail maintenance Hans counted over 50 people. Many wanted to help the Warriors work the Cleveland National Forest after the fires but it just seemed to many hoops to jump thru, we don't seem to have those problems out in the Angeles National Forest. Asking for help a few days before does not give many of us time to plan. CORBA (Hans) asks for help a good month before and it is very well planned, plus he feeds us all lunch. I will help, as well just about all I ride with. I just ride the San Gabriels 10 times more often than the Santa Anas so that is where I donate my time.

Dean

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2008