STT/Luge

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by kioti, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    A guy named Bean showed up just when I got there, and asked if he could help. Then Jeff S. rode up and the 3 of us were able to drag it off the trail. Thanks guys.

I still had some time so I climbed up the bank and dislodged a (smaller :)) tree that was also ready to come down, then rocked it off the trail.

As mentioned, the trail dried out a bit today and should be perfect tomorrow.

Attached Files:

2. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Will romp down it around 9:30 or so ... on the HT no less ;) Thanks Jim :wave:

3. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    I'm sure a lot of us will be out there tomorrow... I'll probably head up to Old Camp sometime mid morning... please don't run over me on your way down!

4. templar

templar Member

Database, UNIX consultant
    Wondering if anyone has ridden the trail this morning and conditions? Considering going out there later this afternoon. Thanks in advance

5. ebenke

ebenke Member

Project Director, architecture, technical side
    I'm headed out to S/L at 2pm today. sounds like conditions should be great. If not I'll report back.....

6. Jorge Lujan

Jorge Lujan New Member

Rode STT/Luge from 8:00-10:30 this morning. Weather was intermittant misting and clouds but great temp. Trail was a little slippery- especially in the Luge, but no big puddles. Great ride!

7. ebenke

ebenke Member

Confirmed

I just made the loop this afternoon, it was a blast. Trail conditions are exactly as described above, no mist at the moment and there was hardly anybody out there. Plus the clouds were setting in around the base of Saddleback, just up from the flag pole. Everything is turning green, it's awesome out there.

8. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    I hit it at 11 am and it was pretty sloppy towards the top... so much fun to play in the mud.

9. kioti

kioti Active Member

It was slippery when I rode it Thursday, too. Any OMR "newby" tips for riding in muddy conditions?

10. ebenke

ebenke Member

I'm not OMR, but on the downhill I ride way back off the seat, stay low, barely use the front brakes, and feather the rears. Going up I try to keep some momentum, stay very high or very low to avoid the tubeless pinch flats. In general I try to negotiate may way onto the hardpacked areas that don't look to slick, if there are any.

11. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Plow thru and enjoy the splash :?: .... oh and don't brake in the slick spots - let it roll.

12. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

Just got back from the ride this morning, the trail is absolutely perfect. STT is nice and tacky, Luge is even better. Lots of people riding this morning too.

13. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Not quite sure what you mean by this - can you elaborate?
    I'm assuming that "tubeless pinch flats" refers to burping, yes? I run tubeless but have never really had that problem.
    What do you mean by staying high or low? Choice of line? Cadence? Tire pressure? All of the above?

14. des

des big kahuna

Rode STT/Luge this afternoon. PERFECT conditions. The best I have seen the Luge in quite a while. Smooth and very fast.

15. kioti

kioti Active Member

I was out there, too, and it WAS fast. And being faster than usual put me on a different line than I'm used to.. At one point my bike was completely sideways and I almost lost it, but rode it out and said what the hell, then launched off something I usually roll off. Very fun.

I was asking for OMR's tips on mud riding because he's 69 years old, and having "so much fun playing in the mud" on a mountain bike. I love it.

When I got back on the pavement at the top of Live Oak, there was a couple who'd just finished riding the loop. She was looking for her cellphone, but it had apparently fallen out of her seatbag. I glanced down at her front quick release and noticed it was completely open. It wasn't even tight, just shy of snug with the axle rattling around in the lawyer tabs. Wow. I showed them how to tighten it correctly and headed down to Cooks.

16. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Grasshopper Jim,

I find that in mud riding you have to be comfortable with letting the bike move around quite a bit more. Luckily, we now have disk brakes and much more control... remember rim brakes in the mud??? no stopping, you just had to learn to ride it out. The really tricky thing is when rocks are wet (sorta like roots) you have to hit them straight on... and as one rider observed above, look for drier places to turn or brake... sorta like snowboarding on ice... had a lot of fun yesterday, but I'm sure it's now better... besides, it took me over an hour to clean and lube the bike! (ugh!)

17. kioti

kioti Active Member

Thanks for the tips, oh wise one.

It was dry yesterday when I headed up the trail, but my bike started squeaking like an old mattress in a two-bit motel. Guess I rushed the mud-cleaning process! Had some synlube in my pack, so I doused the likely spots and enjoyed quiet riding from then on.

Right now its raining again!?! Argh!

Some things that help this grasshopper have fun in the mud: When climbing-- I aim for the flat parts of the trail to keep from sliding sideways and losing momentum. Descending-- riding the bottom of trough-shaped trails like the Luge helps me stay upright. Not so with out-sloped trails, where you're constantly fighting to stay on the trail, and degrading the edge when you slide off..

18. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Jim...

Rumor has it you are doing work Sunday at 9:00 AM from cooks I will be there.

19. kioti

kioti Active Member

I heard that rumor, too..

One of the groups that helped me get the STT ready to re-open after the Santiago Fire asked if I'd like some help this weekend. We're meeting at the end of the parking lot at Cooks (inside the gated area) at 9:00 AM. We'll caravan to near the bottom of the Luge, then WALK up and give it a tune-up. I'll see you there bvader, and bring an extra shovel or two.

If anyone else wants to help out, post it here. If you can't make it this time, I'll be doing a couple planned trail work days in December, and I'll definitely need help then.

Thanks,

Jim aka kioti

20. kioti

kioti Active Member

If you rode the Luge this morning you probably saw us; and maybe even got a piece of Halloween candy! Steve (bvader), Ken Rands and I smoothed out braking bumps, cleared out drainage and cleaned up berms. Thanks to all for the kind words and courteous riding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.