STT/Luge Access. OC Board of Supervsors meeting results. (UPDATE 10-4-11)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by genusmtbkr5, Aug 19, 2011.

1. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    That's an old picture of Bond...errr, I mean OMR. He's much better looking now;)

2. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    This totally calls for a group ride in celebration!

3. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    If indeed he is a avid hiker he should had maybe abstained and not voted. When a person of authority has a vested personal interest or personal gain in an issue they ethically should not vote. Does this issue rise to that level...probably not. So his no vote makes me wonder how avid a hiker he is.

Dean

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2011
  4. XcShane

XcShane Member

Really great to hear. The overwhelming letters and calls had to of played a role.

Thanks for the update!

5. a13x

a13x New Member

Nice work everyone.... impressive.

I just started riding STT/Luge (live nearby, few years off bike) and I would have been SO BUMMED if this didn't happen. Nothing like finding a gem and then having it pulled from under you... glad it passed!

PS: I signed the petition.

6. jcampbell

jcampbell going Gods speed since 75

Believer, Husband and Father.
    Home Page:
    No disrespect Dean, but I believe differently. I like to hope that the reason a politician is voted into office in the first place is because he/she believes and does the same as his/her voters do. Mr. Moorlach should have voted even if he is an avid hiker. If you voted for him because he was active within the hiking community, wouldn't you want him to vote to protect access? I know I would. Most of the time an abstained vote is due to financial gain of oneself, family member, donor, close friend, or they believe differently than their party. It happens many times on business boards but in politics its more of a tool to not show your true beliefs. For example, when a dem/rep wants to vote for something, but because the mass of the dems/reps is voting against, he/she waits till the last moment to see if he/she even needs to vote to squash the bill. If the vote is not needed they usually abstain so their constituents don't hate on them.

I do not know anything about Mr. Moorlach but from your comment he unfortunately looks like a possible poser hiker or was voting on the basis of not wanting to commit additional funding for any projects. Most of the supervisors and council member are watching their own ass on how much they are spending because they need a job too and we all know voters are interested in how these whack jobs are spending our money.

7. ARGAMA

ARGAMA Member

IT Manager
    County moves to solve wilderness access by David Whiting

David Whiting from OCR wrote about this subject and other trails access in OC and published it on the online version of OC Register earlier today. David even mentioned the effort of STR, Warrior Society and 3F Bike Club on voicing our opinions and helped getting the purchase passed last week.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/county-321218-road-trail.html

Way to go STR! :clap:

8. Congo Kid

Congo Kid Middle Aged Wannabe MTB'r

Commercial Real Estate Executive
    I was thinking the same thing. Now that 3 of the Supervisors voted as we lobbied and requested, I am going to call them all up and thank them.
    How cool would it be if they got bombarded by as many "Thank you" calls and emails as they did "Please Vote" calls and emails!?

Thanks
    Jeff

9. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Yes, I sent the Supervisors Campbell, Bates and Nguyen each a thank you email.

10. mtnbikerfred

mtnbikerfred Super Moderator

I sell industrial power transmission and motion co
    I'll be sending Supervisor Nelson my "thanks" during the next election His secretary was rude to me in replying to my email even *BEFORE* the first meeting.

Here's what he put in his newsletter:

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]"RDA Funds Open Space[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]The Board approved the purchase of 100 acres of isolated, hilly land for $2.3 million, with Supervisor Nelson opposed.

Supervisor Nelson opposed using redevelopment agency funds for the purchase, which are intended to remove blight and improve infrastructure. Although one could argue that RDA funds can accomplish that in this project, the claim stretches the definition “to its most elastic point.” The bucolic property is located far from any dilapidated urban centers for which RDA funding was originally intended.

In addition, Supervisor Nelson questioned the general necessity and “appetite” of the Board of Supervisors to purchase isolated open space areas especially when considering that the County of Orange already owns more than any other county in the United States. Although public access and recreational opportunities should be protected, the trail can be maintained without such a large land purchase."

WE, the people who elected him, TOLD HIM how WE wished him to vote on this, and HE did not listen or act in the districts' people best interest. Typical Eff'ng self-serving politician.

HE'S FIRED!!!

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

11. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

I also informed my rep Moorlach that based upon his No vote on this issue that he would not be getting my vote next time!

It is very important to express your support/disappointment with your votes. This is the only type of activism that works long term.

12. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

Let's hope that he's not running solo again, so we can vote him out.

13. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Anybody live in his district? Run for it yourself or find someone better! I assume you have to live in that district...

14. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

Looks like Moorlach and Nelson were just re-elected in 2010, so they're going to be around through 2015 as their next 4 year term starts January 1, 2012.

As such, I recommend that we don't make our last e-mail or phone calls to these two Supervisors a hasty, nasty e-mail regarding the fact that they didn't vote the way we wanted.

It would better suit our interests if we stayed engaged with these two and worked to try to win them over.

Besides, Nelson actually wrote "...public access and recreational opportunities should be protected, the trail can be maintained without such a large land purchase", so he might just have not believed it was necessary to keep STT open. And, frankly, he may have been correct. Personally, I wouldn't want to take that risk and I'm glad most of the rest didn't. But it's not like he's necessarily an enemy who's 180 degrees opposite of our interests. It's hard to tell.

Same could be true of Moorlach, although I get the impression from him he's a Sierra Club member and wants all of us evil doers (mtn bikers) to all go away. I could be wrong, but that's just the vibe I get.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer...

I am thankful for Supervisor Campbell's continued leadership and advocacy.

They're paving the Santiago Creek bike trail near my home (finally), which will unite Old Town (West) Orange with East Orange (Oaks, Irvine Park) via a paved off-street bike trail. You'll be able to go under the 55fwy and avoid Chapman and other busy streets in crossing Tustin Avenue. That too was part of Campbell's contribution.

15. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

wasn't hasty or nasty. Just well thought out and specific. IO communicated the consequences before the vote.
    Some voters are single issue and won't vote for a pro-life or pro-choice candidate.
    I typically don't give a hoot about my OC supervisor but I did on this issue. I am only 1 vote, but it is mine to cast.
    Hopefully he made the right choice for him because if more folks feel as I do he will get voted out, or at least not get voted in.

That is why HE is the politician.