stripped allen wrench head

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Rossage, Oct 24, 2007.

1. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    stripped bolt removal

here's how you get out a small, low-torque,stripped allen bolt-
    you use a screw extractor, but you don't drill a hole down the center of the bolt! (that's a great way to get broken pieces of bolt stuck in there). Use an extractor BIGGER then the diameter of the bolt shaft, just the right size so the tip will fit into the cap of the bolt where the hex key usually fits. Now, the rounded tip of the extractor will still be a little smaller then the hole in the cap, so you use a rotary sanding pad in your drill and grind down the end of the extractor, flat, until it fits in the stripped hole nice and snug. put it in your screwgun, put it in stripped hole, and back it out; the sharp edges of the screw extractor will grap the sides of the hole. you have to use the spiral(kinda looks like a drill bit0type of extractor, not the square-cross-section type.
    This may not work if the bolt is really seized in there, though. Oh, and get a new bolt!!

2. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Let me guess, it's a lock-on grip bolt right?

3. Rossage

Rossage Active Member

No, it is the pad retention bolt on the caliper of a new set of Avid Code 5's. It stripped like butter on my first attempt at loosening it. I wanted to check out the pads after I went riding due to some noise issues. The brakes work great but right now, I'm debating whether to fix it my self or return them and play dumb.

4. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    One thing i forgot to mention. Snap-on to has an easy out set that has a drill guide: because if you go off center while drilling a bolt its all over ( well you can use a re-thread kit if required). It takes some practice! Heat is also an option, you can also use a punch on the center of the bolt to loosen it. Last resort ( I have used it before on a stubborn jaguar head bolt) you can have it removed by laser. Their is a company in Santa Ana that can do this. I don't recall the name but an internet search will send you in the right direction.Sorry, this type of thread is my gig, i love to fix stuff!!!!

5. project_d

project_d Steve Peat Wannabe

I work in a wine shop, so I get paid to drink...ni
    Honestly, the best way, IMO, is to get a hammer, and tap in a Torx bit (like the type you would use to remove your rotor, but a smaller size, maybe a T20). Tap it in, and it should remove the bolt no problem. I've used this trick on screws for brakes and forks, and it works everytime. Try it.:wave: