STR Weight-Loss Challenge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ODB, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Member

family law attorney
    I'm in. Let's have once a week reporting days to keep us honest and motivated. And let's have monthly (or weekly) winners to make our competitiveness keep us on track. I think that the girls should compete with the boys using a percentage basis and have a special girls vs. boys category. (it will be sooo easy to sabotage the boys) ;) Waduyah think?

2. nappyt

nappyt New Member

So who will create the final list of entry rules and when will they be posted?

3. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    ODB are you in charge?

I say we give peeps a couple of days to get in. Maybe even a week.

4. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

I'm happy to lead the way on this, if y'all are cool with it. I think the only issues remaining are:

1. Duration of the contest: three months? four months? six months? (do we need to do a poll thread for this?)
    2. Separate category for the ladies?

Side note: I just set up my first appointment ever with a personal trainer. :bang:

5. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

I think 3 months is good.

You can combine ladies and men together. So long as we use total % of body weight lost vs. actual lbs.

A personal trainer? Of fock! someone's not messing around. I better not have that bowl of ice cream I just made. Damn you!

6. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    3 months is good for me too! I like the idea of mixing it up and keeping the Dirty Girlz and guys together.

7. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    It can't be a diet!! It's got to be a lifestyle change. Stop buying the unhealthy food, or at least buy a lot less of it. If it isn't around to eat or drink, then you won't!

If you can go probably 30-60 days without something (soda, candy, chocolate, alcohol) you more than likely will stop craving it. We stopped eating at basically every fast food burger joint and I almost never want to go back to one. I won't give up Chipotle or Submarina sometimes. Definitely not Chipotle.

But, I rarely have chocolate in the house, and have stopped drinking a glass of wine with dinner. We have very little sweets here. It's tough, cause sometimes you crave it and it's just not there, so we'll snack on other stuff.

Try making big salad's before dinner (like 30 mins before). You probably won't eat as much. I use romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, Wish Bone Red Wine Vinegarette fat free dressing, and have been putting Craisins in it for additional yumminess.

Definitely cut out the candy!

FWIW.. I used to be a fitness forum member like two years ago and most of those members said they'd rather drink REGULAR soda than diet, because diet soda is so horribly bad for you. They didn't drink regular soda either!

Try tea!

8. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Well, if I do play along, it will strictly be for fun. I lost most of my weight earlier this year. I only want to drop another 15 lbs or so and I don't want to wait until the first of the year to start.

I started 2 weeks ago and have already lost 4 lbs. I hope to lose at least another 4 lbs by the time this whole thing kicks off.

But, I'd still like to be a part of it in some way. Losing the 50+ lbs was a huge life changing event for me. I know what it takes and I know how people who still have it to do feel. I'd like to be here for advice/support/ideas etc.

Like I said before, I'm not claiming to be an expert or a know it all or anything like that. But I have "been there-done that" and I'd be happy to help in any way possible. I'm also excited for everyone here. It's an awesome thing to decide to take control of your weight, instead of your weight controling you.

9. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

I drink seltzer most of the time. 2 L bottles are cheap and are great when chilled in the fridge. You can add lemon slices or cranberry juice if you need some flavor.
    My four year old thinks it's a treat to drink 'bubble water'.

10. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

My 4-year-old calls it "Daddy's fizzy water."

11. Big Guy

Big Guy New Member

Engineer
    imagine how much money we'll save loosing weight!

1) we eat less
    2) it's a lot cheaper than a lighter bike...

12. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    I'm in! Hehe I like the idea of a whole guys vs. girls aspect, that would be pretty interesting!

One suggestion, I know % body fat lost wouldn't be easily accessible to most people so why don't we take measurements as well? Like around our bellies or something. The idea prob has its flaws as well but it would add some extra motivation if the scale isn't showing improvement but your waist is!

13. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Sure it is. Take your starting weight. At the end of the contest, you figure your percentage of weight lost.

If you weigh 200 lbs and lose 20 lbs, you lost 10% of your original weight.

14. ohyeah89

ohyeah89 LEARN-IMPROVE-TRAIN

Water Biologist
    Isn't that the % WEIGHT loss (which like you said is really easy to figure out)? Isn't % body FAT different since most likely people will be gaining muscle while losing weight?

Thanks!

15. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    I get it. We set up a dunk tank density test...:-k

16. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    so is it still a january 1st start date? are we gonna mail ODB 10 clams?

we could do a weekly weigh in like they do at Weight Watchers, except that everyone does it at his/her home and and then we go online to STR and check in at an appointed time every week. like it's a real appointment that you're committed to with no excuses.

17. Frozen208

Frozen208 No pain no gain

When this does start I think we will need a new thread that is stickied somewhere.

So what are all the ground rules? For the ones we don't agree on we can set up polls and vote on them.

18. dutch

dutch New Member

Jax Bicycle Center Irvine, client advisor
    I'm pretty down to join in on this, I figure my key to losing the weight I've put on isn't due to lack of riding, its due to being 21. I would gladly pay an entry fee and then watch everyone's progress in a competitive manner in order to motivate me to either drink less or ride way more.

amen to the stickied thread with official (once they're drafted) rules. maybe someone's paypal also to accept entry fees.

19. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Based on the feedback so far, i'll post a rundown of rules tomorrow. If there's any overwhelming opposition to any of the parameters, i'm certainly open to amendments. Let's just keep in mind that this ain't gonna be perfect model of achieving fitness, but it'll still put all of us who aren't pleased with our current body image on the right track (if we have the self-discipline; i sure hope i do).

20. Tedroy

Tedroy Active Member

Designer Web/Graphic
    Home Page:
    I had to chime in on this one...

... I'm so proud of my wife, Leah, who has lost 35lbs since June!
    Here she is the day she got her bike.
    [​IMG]
    She's been going to Gold's gym relentlessly, and doin' the Jenny.
    Today she went up Brown Mtn. for the first time in like 7 years!
    [​IMG]
    I'm so impressed with her progress. She told me to say that this pic is her half-way shot.
    Yeow, wait till next summer!