Ride Report STR Does the SCV Singletrackapalooza

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by UPSed, Mar 27, 2010.

1. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

Great ride with a great group of people. Was hesitant at first because of the large number of riders but it went pretty smooth. Thanks Jeff for putting this ride together and thanks to Monster Mash for the home brew. Will have to get back out there soon.

2. YakityYak

YakityYak Is

Thanks to every one who put this thing together. This was my first ride w/ STR, but certainly won't be my last. It was good putting some names and faces together, hopefully I'll remember a few (terrible w/ names). Just sorry I had to cut it short and I missed the ice-cream social afterwards.

I'd been wanting to check out the the Tapia area trails for some time and before it got too hot. I picked the right day and group to do it with. I didn't even mind the wind too much. Can't wait to see the pictures. Thanks again!

3. ddmansprty

ddmansprty Huh?

Technician
    Home Page:
    Nice meeting a few of you today. Nice group and hopefully everyone made the best of the day.

Jeff, next time can you do something about that wind :)

4. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    Great ride. Great group. What else can I say. I'll be feeling it tomorrow for sure, but it was well worth it! :wave:

Great to see some familiar, yet still new faces - and to put some names and newer faces together.

Thank you Jeff for a splendid day of riding and company. And for sweeping with me. You too Magna. Also got to meet my hero Kanga as well - but only briefly and then he was swoosh!!! gone.

Thanks to the chef who did the burgers and dogs. Hit the spot!

Some amazing trailwork has been done and for that I am most grateful as well. :bang:

Can't wait to see the pix.

:beer:

5. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    Great hang today, folks! Willie and both had a great day. I'll put up some of my pics within a few days. Sorry, but since we spent nearly all day on the bikes (we just got done doing Hummingbird at Rocky Peak in Simi just now!), I really do gotta do some of the honeydew list now. I'll work up pics as soon as I am able to whittle out some time.

- shud

6. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    After that you went on and did Hummingbird? Dayum! :bang:

Forgot to add, saw a huge rattle snake slowly slither across the fireroad and into the grass near the top at the tower. Big fat, black (never seen one that dark before) with a rattle about the size of my thumb.

7. Monster Mash

Monster Mash New Member

I'll start with a couple to get things going....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    That was a superb ride, with the whoop-de-do singletracks and g-out track. Incomparable.

Thanks to Jeff for putting this together. Hi again to all the people I met from the SCV Dritbags and STR. :wave:
    It was an excellent time with no problems - well, at least no chopper rides. :lol:

Shudder was busy sprinting ahead and positioning for his superb photos. While he pulled back to the group I got a quick shot near the apex of our route. Strong wind but thankfully it was blowing from the cliff, not to the cliff.

[​IMG]

The conga line riding a singletrack.

[​IMG]

9. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    First of all, thanks to all that travelled up to ride with us today. We had some from the Inland Empire, OC, Ventura County and all parts of L.A. :clap:

I'm pretty sure we had over 40, but I couldn't get us all together in my sight to get an accurate count. Suffice it to say we could be labeled a 'throng' and yet no one was spotted wearing a thong.

I was kind of pre-occupied to the point that I didn't take many pics, but I know others did, so please . . . . post 'em if you've got them.

With that many riders, we had a couple groups and those may have fragmented a bit as the ride went on. We had a few mechanicals, a few unintentional dismounts (that hopefully won't be too painful), a few flats and a viscious headwind to battle on the climbs, but everybody stayed on task; to knock the bottom out of as many trails as possible.

The post ride hang time was especially nice. We had burgers, dogs, brats, guac, salsa, garden fresh whatnots from Few Inhibitions and some red cups were distributed courtesy of Mr. Monster Mash.

Stories, pics, whatever; post 'em if you would please.

Attached Files:

10. DC29er

DC29er New Member

Thanks to the organizers for the ride today. A little nasty out there but we had a great time regardless. The beer from Monster Mash was amazing! One glass in a semi dehydrated body really did the trick. Scarey. That was a massive crew of really nice people and some great riders as usual. We had a little splinter group that road humming bird after that ride. Yes it is a sickness. Thanks again.

11. kanga

kanga Active Member

Great time out there. I've only ridden there a few times before, and still can't tell you the names of any trails I've ridden, except for one that I saw for the first time today.

I counted 40 at the start, but I know at least a few people were off in their cars. There were 30 in the A group at the first re-grouping. For the size of the group it went really smoothly.

Shud and Willie, glad you guys got to see Hbird today. I said it was on your way home!

I don't know who the young ripper on the little specialized was, but he certainly held his own on G Out and on the climbs. I don't even know if he was a part of the group, or if they just merged with us.

I would have liked to stay longer, but duties were calling (I was attending an Angeles National Forest meeting with CORBA).

Not too many photos, but we'll get the idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. epicriderat

epicriderat New Member

Self employed DME
    I got a flat, fixed it, then turned around and couldn't find anyone. WTF!:?:

13. N4th4n

N4th4n Its a purse..oookkkkkkaay

Very nice ride

Very nice Brew!!

Very nice sticker!

Very nice GREENS (Cheers Mike !!!)

Was really well managed, greaty to participate (Thanks Jeff et al).....even made it to Hummingbird after. Awesome day !!!

14. face-plant

face-plant New Member

Had a great time!!! Thanks for putting this together. And thanks for the home brew and all the post ride munchies. Everything was awesome!

15. UPSed

UPSed SPECIALizED

Sorry Todd. I thought you said you were okay when we passed you. I guess we should have waited and made sure.

16. face-plant

face-plant New Member

From my phone camera....

Attached Files:

17. moka

moka Moka Was Here!

sounds like an awesome ride, is there going to be another one soon? i would love to join in on a ride at that trail. Could not make it this time due to scheduling conflicts. :)

18. face-plant

face-plant New Member

Oops..found a few more from my phone camera.

Attached Files:

19. Magna_Graecia

Magna_Graecia Tapia Bunny Slayer

Translator, Monkey Boy
    Nice to put some faces to the names today. A big thanks to Jeffj and Grannygear for organizing and to everyone who made it out today.

A special thanks to Monster Mash for the "Carbonated Rye-Infused Ice Tea" and to all who provided food.

And a big "FU" to the rock in the middle of the creekbed hump. I won't bore you all with the details, but let's just say "Sir Nardington of Testiclania" put in an unwelcomed appearance.

That is all.

20. YakityYak

YakityYak Is

Glad to meet you. hope yiou found lots of ice.