Ride Report Str Bbq

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Rob, Jul 15, 2007.

1. guero

guero iFroth

i slept through my alarm, which was set for 730. i was awoken by a text from gonz at 8-something, "chupaf**kinpalabra"....then a few minutes later i get a call from nam...."hey bubb, where are you at, we are near the church entrance"...ME, "uhhh, dude, im still in bed"...a few minutes after that, Aldo/bananaseat/chappy calls, "hey man, are you there yet?", ME, "no, i'm still in bed". somewhere in between all that i had a text from turneROB, "not gonna ride today, my bike is tweaked"...it wasnt until i saw him at the bbq taht i realized he said his back was tweaked, not his bike....after all, he has more than one bike, so that didnt make sense to me...it was early though!

long story short, i got there around 10 or so. a handfull of the bubbs were there, some were out on the dirt. when i pulled up gonz and dino were getting stuff from their cars, and i hopped on my bike and cruised down to the base-camp. people slowly arrived back from the dirt and fresh from the street. chappy got there and was on the grill in a matter of minutes....nicely done chaps!!! tastey times my friend!

gouge and cathy did a great job making it more than just a bbq. the trivia was fun, and thanks to cathy who rallied some schwag from incycle to give away in the raffle, and gouge also donated some str shirts. i cant wait to wear my lemon yellow shirt i won, :p thanks to craigger/cal epic for locking down the day and setting this thing up!

it was great meeting some new str members whom i hadnt met before. i dont remember many names, but i do recall meeting tito and his significant other (who made some kick ass homemade salsa!) also met springrubber and his girl.

like the others have said, STR is more than just another mt. bike forum for most of us to post on, it has become a way to build great friendships and to see/ride great places that we may have never gotten the opportunity to if it hadn't been for the comaraderie of the great people here all brought together by one thing......riding bikes on dirt!

2. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

George- It is WE who should be thanking you!:clap::clap::clap:

At next years BBQ, I fully expect to be celebrating our 2,000th member! And nooooo, I am not joking!

:( Definitely left earlier than I would have liked!

Mr. Epic- Thanks for making the BBQ a reality.

HoosierDaddy- Thanks for allowing me to borrow the unicycle. Next time, I will be wearing full DH gear.

Special welcome to Marshall Willanholly for unexpectadly gracing us with his presence. NICE BIKE!!!!!!:bang::lol:

To everyone (including those not at the BBQ) thank you for the good times. :clap:

3. Pugz

Pugz Fat guy in a little coat

Purchasing Manager
    Sounds like it was awesome. Hopefully I will be able to celebrate at the bbq next year, it is going to become a yearly event I hope.

4. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    You know what, George deserves really big props. I didn't know him then, but way back in 2004 he was asking on the mtbr board about creating another Socal specific site. A lot of the response was negative. There was already mtbr socal forum, and the totally crappy Socalmtb at that time.

And now you've got over 1000 members. Congrats, and props for your vision and all your hard work.

Thanks dude,

Carl

5. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    I always love re-reading that thread. :)

need your input - new mtb website for socal riders? - Mtbr.com Forums

6. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
  7. CC

CC V.P. Kickstand Inspection

unemployed, Sales Exec for a Steel company
    Incycle

A BIG Thanks to Incycle for the T's, hats, water bottles and the super nice woman's jersey they donated to the BBQ! The Dirt Diva going to look sweet in that.

Incycle is hoping to get more involved with STR this year so I'm sure we can expect more support from them in the future.

Thanks Again!:bang:

8. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Sorry I missed it, sounds like a great time...hope to see you guys in the dirt soon! :)

9. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Too bad you weren't there. :( One of the trivia questions was about you - Ann got that one right while everyone else was stumped. :lol:

10. project_d

project_d Steve Peat Wannabe

I work in a wine shop, so I get paid to drink...ni
    Sounds like a challenge to me; O.K., you're on! Just remember that you were behind me going down Rock-It, Sucka!!!:lol:

11. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    I wish I was their... I am bummed. I wanted to go but went to church and then got out at 1045 and I still needed to get grub and beverages. It looks like lots of fun.

On another note I want to thank George for putting this site together, your very talented and if I owned a website design company I would hire you. Its funny now because I really don't go to the MTBR website much anymore.

12. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

If he had stuck the Iron Horse sticker on his bike (like I told him to) he would have passed you going down Rock-it.... taken a few pictures of you... put the camera back in the case--- and STILL been ahead of you!

It was good finally meeting "Misses Project D":lol::lol:

13. sheclimbs

sheclimbs Active Member

Congratulations STR! Thank you George. I'm sorry I couldn't be at the BBQ to thank you in person. I think you've done a wonderful job with the site, and as Guero and many others have said it's become a way to build friendships and explore great places together.

I've had several opportunities this year to meet and ride with many of you. I look forward to meeting more of you and hopefully thanking you in person one of these days George.

I wasn't there because I was off with some of my STR friends exploring the wilderness. Even met another new member, Jfish this weekend.

CC looks like you managed to "handle" the whole event quite successfully on your own.

I was off keeping track of things with a few of the other members, tough job but someone has to do it.

JFish, STJunkie, the Stepster, behind the lens and Aaron, yet another new recruit.

Attached Files:

14. CC

CC V.P. Kickstand Inspection

unemployed, Sales Exec for a Steel company
    Umm...Hate to challenge the God Father, but I think Nam got that one right. Ann got another "previously know as" (aka) question right. Can't remember who it was though, but someone that use to have a lot of initials.

15. El Prieto

El Prieto New is the beggining

Thanks for the good times and the bottle opener!!:beer:

First time attending STR function, lots of fun and good people.:wave:
    Looking FWD for the next BBQ/Ride !!!:bang:

16. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    D'oh, #-oguess I should have got more sleep last night. :lol:

17. sheclimbs

sheclimbs Active Member

Keep George in mind if you are looking to build a nice website, hoping to have him update our site at work in the not so distant future :clap:

18. project_d

project_d Steve Peat Wannabe

I work in a wine shop, so I get paid to drink...ni
    Yeah, I was stoked that she went. She's only been on, what, two rides now, but she's getting hooked. She says she may sign up and her name will be "Project_Double_D":bang:

I'd like to thank George for this site; much better than the other sites I've hit up!!! I look forward to the BBQ next year, and about 100 rides leading up to it!

19. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Thank you Craig, George, and CC for putting this together. Ko and I had a good day of riding, although we showed up at the bbq a bit late.

Congratulations and thank you George for putting together a great forum!

20. Letyrides

Letyrides Roar!

I remember that thread! That's how I found STR. I also remember the first time George came up to me at the Loop a few years back. He asked Are you Lety and I said yes. And he said ok, I'm going to head off now and I didn't see him again for months. LOL

I wish I could have made it sooner but I had a good time chatting with those still there. Good to put screen names to faces. See ya on the trails!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007