Stop building stupid jumps

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by 2w4s, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery

You should contact me and come to the trails meetings and discuss this with the committee and see what they can do.

2. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Oaks, Aliso, Whiting, etc., are designated wilderness parks. Trails are inevitable to allow some access, but jumps take the intended use of these areas in a whole different direction. There are plenty of places where jumps can be built: They're not needed in these parks. All it would take is one hiker or equestrian to object, or worse, get hurt, and we'd all be out of the park.

Please huck elsewhere.

3. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

can you make a list of legal areas to build jumps?

i would love to see a hiker or equestrian hit the jumps :bang:

4. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

we've seen trail changes that are deliberate; although it's not a fun like a jump but we've seen a handful of people get caught out on the fully loop...i dont think they're riding out of control there...

5. 2w4s

2w4s New Member

sorry, not talking about the jumps up top, these were on the main trail and are horribly built jumps.

6. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

i'll be there tomorrow morning and will scope them out and see how bad they are

7. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Wish that was true, if it is I would like to know where.

My sugestion is to go get your urban huck on.

Dean

Attached Files:

8. 2w4s

2w4s New Member

you're right, I can't jump or do drops. I only race semipro DH for the chicks, but thanks for playing...:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice I said 'stupid' jumps with 6inch, almost vertical
    lips? These jumps are stupid and not really even jumpable, and no I'm not talking about the ghey ones at the top either, these are on the main trail. I'm all for building jumps. Good jumps. I spent all last winter building some very good jumps, about 15 of them. Jumps should be built where appropriate and they should be built well, that is my point.

9. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

Im with building the good jumps, some people have no clue, theyre are diffeent styles and then theyrs crap. Some poeple think theyre cool puttin a 2 foot tall lip to knowhwhere that kicks you over the bars

10. g-dub

g-dub Member

I assume we're talking about the 12" jumps on Zips. They've been popping up and getting taken down randomly for a couple years now. Haven't complained openly though, since the folks who are doing it are not exactly going to respond to me going hall monitor on them. I figure some people are selfish, and that's how it is, I won't change them. I plan on riding that loop while I can, before we all get shut down by whoever's doing this.

But is it really worth losing the whole park over such lame jumps?

11. roadkillross

roadkillross New Member

helen's cycles
    Home Page:
    tk got served.

12. Von-Diggity

Von-Diggity Moderator

unoccupied
    Home Page:
    If they are that lippy, they were probably built by some BMX riders. They prefer the really lippy jumps to get the big air. The lippy ones scare me though. There used to be a whole set of really lippy jumps at Turnbull that the BMX guys were hitting for some big air time.

13. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

Oh thats way beter I was confuzed.

I was up there today and I noticed the little kid jumps on the side of the trail . Yeah they are worthless. I hit them on a DH bike and it was like hitting a bump in the road. I think it is about as much as a kid can do with small hand tools.

The good news is the rain fixed a lot of the trails.:bang::clap:

14. socal ridur

socal ridur freerider

sleeping in
    i think i know what you guys are talking about now. i like those when im just druizing down or blating they sorta just pop me up for a like a 2 foot air :bang::bang: theres like a couple at the deep trench bermy setion on lower chutes and then 1 as you go down from the small climb on chutes also if those are the ones your talking about:-s

15. mazda-monkey

mazda-monkey Just a Member

Even true with trail maintenance-
    Water runoff channels built in the middle of the trail in a day. Or, remember when someone cut steps into the hill on the small trail that joins the paved roads from top of the world to Meadows? I rode over that hill 50 times, then one day I crest over and theres a freaking stairway on the other side.

16. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

I think what he was trying to say is if your going to put in the effort make something cool.

Small kickers that are 6-12 inches are not all that fun.

I bet they are fun on a BMX bike . the shocks absorb them.

17. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

I'll drag my brakes over them for everyone on saturday

18. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Exactly. Every sidewalk has potential, as long as you build 'em right.

[​IMG]

:D:D:D:D:D

19. chongoblanco

chongoblanco Banned

none i get my check on the 1st!
    we have full squish and disc brakes go around!! if you want to complain about jumps that have to much vert go practice at sheep hills or slaters take some pics to complain about!! ill even drive you there.

plus remember how lucky we are to have all these trails to ride for free I used to have to run from cops or security just to grind a ledge every once in a while, somtimes just for fun:lol:. cops at downtown disney are slow.

i purpose we pay for green stickers just like the dirtbikers and offroaders and have access to what ever is paid for.

If we get booted and it comes down to hitting somthing at night do what you gotta do and get out!. old school street ride style.

bottom line. Much respect to every body fighting to keep things open, but somthings have to take their course, if they want to boot us they will, just like when the cops need a fall guy.

As far as the jumps go if they are not hurting anyone dont swet it, some kids! or something we cant controll. This sport is supposed to relieve stress not make more. happy trails!

p.s just like riding, building jumps takes practice lend a helping hand if you can:beer:

20. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

thank you for clarifying the general location and condition of the jumps. My initial post was in response to your rather vague post about the jumps. guess you really took that remark about not riding it if you can't deal to heart...it was not aimed at you as i was generally speaking about the sport. o well i'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. kudos to you though for racing at that level, you gotta be skilled thats for sure.

not sure what you mean ross, i'll be at the fully swap meet if you want to explain yourself in person.

back to the topic of the thread, i'll be there tomorrow morning and i'll stop and try to tear down the jumps...maybe even snap a pic of these speed bumps...now that i think of it, the only person that builds these kind of "jumps" is Art Tuttle? blackstar has a bunch of those 6" tall speed bumps that could really mess someone up if they didn't remember where they were at.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.