Stop building stupid jumps

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by 2w4s, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2w4s

2w4s New Member

Rode S. Oaks for the first time since the rains, somebody's been a little busy. If you're reading this or you happen to know who it was please tell them to KNOCK IT OFF!!!!!!!!

first, the 3 jumps are horribly built and will hurt somebody, a 6" nearly verticle lip is good for one thing, sending your rear wheel over your front wheel.

second, You must not be aware that the rangers are already hard at work justifying trail closures, this does nothing to help our cause.

I plan to go back up next week and tear the jumps down but if the builder is reading this maybe he could do it ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2007
  2. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery

I think you should post this as a new thread to get it to the top of the list....where are the jumps at so you can get some help removing them asap.

3. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

what jumps are you talking about? the ones off the trail? if you can't ride it, don't try to...we mountain bike, it is an inherently dangerous sport in which you can get hurt at any time. There are small drop offs on Chutes that can take someone out if they do not ride it correctly..Should we remove those too?

4. socal ridur

socal ridur freerider

sleeping in
    i mean jumps are jumps as long as they dont cover the entire trail. ikf there at the top play area then idk but if its on chutes and theres no easy way around them i could reconsider id have to see how bad the lips are:lol:

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

There is a difference in what is naturally there and what is manmade. Jumps built on trails in county parks only strengthen the rangers beef with mountain bikers.

6. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

you make a good point, but the trails are also man made as well

7. Mudman

Mudman Mr. Angry

Kickin' Ass
    I did 5 Oaks yesterday, and did notice those little jumps. Although it would be a good idea to remove just because they suck, they are in places easily avoidable. So it doesn't bother me so long as they don't end up in my way.. I crash without ramps anyway haha

8. .8down

.8down Active Member

I think her point is if the jumps are made without clearance from city officials(which I could never see them ever clearing that)then they become a liability that not only the rangers have to take care of,but the city would have to deal with possible lawsuits(while that may sound ridiculous please keep in mind that Mcdonalds had to settle on a lawsuit from a woman who got burned by Coffee, its freaken coffee its hot) and who will they blame, the Mt bikers, since hikers don't really use jumps, and horses jump pretty high the dont need them either...I see that guys want to have fun but Im gonna side on the situation that keeps the trails open. Just look at LPQ in SD they apparently have been fighting the city to keep trails open..

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Yes, the trails are man made......over time they have been established. When people build jumps, they usually happen quick. The trails change very little from day to day. However, when jumps are built they usually pop up within a day or two. This not only destructive, but dangerous as well.

Example: you ride a trail you know like the back of your hand....you know where every single rock and bump are. Now you go out one day to ride that trail. Someone has built a jump in the trail and you are not expecting it. You crash....you get hurt....you sue the county for the jumps being in the trail.....trails get shut down.

Now you may not do all the above....but someone will, eventually. Santiago Oaks has enough problems right now. It does not need someone going up and doing unauthorized "trailwork".

10. uzziboy

uzziboy hi Ron...it's Ron

who cares
    where exactly are they?

11. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

the only ones i know of and i speak about are the table tops and the single double at the top of the 3rd B... now if someone built some on the trail itself, i would be against that...

J, in regards to your comment about knowing the trail like the back of your hand i'll have to paraphrase another member here, "If you can't stop in time, you are riding out of control."

With this winter season seeing two good rain storms so far, conditions of the trail will change.. Ruts will grow larger, rocks will be exposed. If there is a trail work day to fix/fill teh ruts and do drainage work i would gladly lend my time and effort to help.

12. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Just let the rangers take care of the trail work there. You can trust them to do a good job. :rolleyes:

13. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

they would probably take toxic waste and fill in the ruts with it

14. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    It's probably some kids that live around there. I know I'm too lazy to build anything but bikes and cars.

15. guero

guero iFroth

i bet it is some hunkers or something.

16. uzziboy

who cares
    me too, did someone build a jump on an actual trail or is 2w4s refering to the jump section at the top?

17. Abstrakt77

Abstrakt77 New Member

I have no job
    damn hunksters...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

18. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I agree - stop them from building stupid jumps. Perhaps we need to teach the builders how to make good jumps. :bang:

19. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery

If the jumps are at the top of the 3rd B in the big field area then they are on private property and not part of the park...Once you head thru the new gate on the climb your on private property until you drop off the top onto the singletrack that was plowed. Those jumps have been there for years...if that is where the jumps are I wouldn't worry about it effecting our trails in Santiago oaks.

20. uzziboy

who cares
    This is what i'm refering to, so i guess 2w4s has to be more clear on where these jumps are located

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.