Stationary Bike vs. Regular Bike and a Trainer

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by Flat Broke, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Flat Broke

Flat Broke Bikes don't kill bunnies

Jack of all trades, master of some
    The days are going to be getting substantially shorter soon and I want to improve my fitness level to make the most of the rides I will be able to make. I had been kicking around the idea of getting a trainer and just using my bike. But it seems like you can pick up decent stationary bikes with variable resistance programs etc. for under $500 if you're willling to buy refurbished or lightly used models.

I was curious to get everyone's take on the pros and cons of each solution. Before Superdave says it, I want to just get out there and ride, but the schedule dictates what I can and can't do. :D With a trainer or stationary bike, at least when I "have" to be home I can put some of that time to good use building strength and cardivascular fitness so I can make the most out of the times I do get to ride. Soooo, anyone have firsthand experience using either form of equipment to augment whatever workout you'd get on your regular rides?

Chris

2. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    Have used both a various times - candidaly never could tolerate sitting in one place and spinning for more than 30+ minutes but can ride 4+ hours on the trails and never get mentally fatigued. guess just a mind f*ck for me.

main difference i have found is stationary bike (if decent) is much more stable/comfortable. obviously a bit more of a commitment in price and space. if you go trainer want to be aware if rim or tire especailly if using your "real bike" Rub on rims and mad noise on mtb tires

that said I believe I have a cyclops trainer sitting around that if you want to use/check out before purchasing one -more than willing to lend out as we are not using. just let me know if you want to try it/arrange pick-up

3. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

just get out there and ride Brah! :) lol

Anyway I have been kicking this around too. Looking into a trainer and not a stationary.

So I'd like to add to the question and ask what's the difference between the styles of trainers? Wind, magnetic and what ever else. What to get and what to stay away from.

4. Flat Broke

Kid A,

Thanks for the offer. How noisy do the trainers get if you run something like a hookworm or a street slick? I agree 100% about the boredom aspect of the stationary/trainer. The stationary bike was the first thing I'd hit after stretching in PT. The worst 30 minutes of the session and made the next 30 on the eliptical seem almost fun for some reason. I'd prefer to be able to ride my bike on some real terrain for conditioning, but it's just not in the cards. I want to improve my conditioning more than my riding technique/skills, which I just don't see happening at the pace I'd like by going out once a week.

The main reason I was thinking stationary over a trainer is that I can get a stationary with preset programs that would help break up the monotamy. But ultimately I'd prefer whichever is going to be the best compromise of durability, ease of use, and space saving. So lets hear more from those of you that are using these deals.

Thanks,
    Chris

5. PHAT TIRE

PHAT TIRE Riders on the solar storm

Vehicle Operations Manager
    I put trees in my garage and have my wife come in occasionally to hit me with a branch and push me off onto a pile of rocks.... buy a light set up it's cheaper than buying a training bike and a hell of a lot more fun. I scraped the trainer, hate the spin classes and went to lights. That's probably a waste just to find out I needed lights... $200 trainer, $40 slicks, $10 pile of rocks, $100 spin class....HID's for $200+. =$550! :(

6. Flat Broke

I've got the lights, and they'll get their weekly use, but I deffinitely need more time in the pedals than that to get me to where I want to be. It's a lot easier to carve out an hour in the early morning or evening, then a couple of hours to get out to a trail, ride, and commute back. Before anyone says just ride your bike around where you live... I'd rather crank my home stereo and do my time on a trainer or stationary than be out in traffic with a bunch of idiots who aren't paying attention to what they're doing.

Chris

7. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    Chris - didn't use alot but years back ran a rim trainer on crap rims on days I could not get out . put TV on loud and just "rode" until absolute boredom. If i recall correctly was certainly not quiet and noise picked up with added tension on rim via dial. never really dug it and gave to friend when i moved out west

never used a trainer that ran on tire but i imagine you def want to use with minimal tread for that reason (that said one we have is my wifes old and candidly not sure if rim or tire (although prob tire). if interested just let me know and ill look for it - your call not pushing just offering. (i prob have some old rims. tires and rear skewers if you need/desire - expect you have same)

also not sure if they still have in stock but a while back JAX (off of Culver) had KHS/SPNERGY stationarys marked down big (think as they were pushing newer very expensive high end models for over $1K - man if I gonna drop that cash its on real bike, huh.

Thats some funny sh!t :lol: but how do you get your huck on :confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2006
  8. PHAT TIRE

PHAT TIRE Riders on the solar storm

Vehicle Operations Manager
    My huck? simple, trainer on top of the washer and dryer while in spin cycle with the trainer loose while sprinting and fly off them!\\:D/