State Route 330 Closed at Highland Ave March - June 2010 (merged)

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by shrimpboy, Mar 16, 2010.

1. shrimpboy

shrimpboy gottakeepmovin

FYI for people thinking of going snowboarding and even mountain biking at Snow Summit, the frontside highway is closed till mid June!

For access to Running Springs and Big Bear, motorists may still use SR-18/SR-38, from the San Bernardino/Redlands area. However, once the contractor begins the operation,
    SR 330 will remain closed until the repairs are complete."

2. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    My in-laws live in Big Bear and I've already received four calls from their neighbors letting me know of the closure "just in case we want to come up this weekend" :lol:

I remember a few years back when the roads were closed into the valley due to the fire hazard coming from the Arrowhead area. I met my father in-law coming back from the River and we took the dirt road up the hill out of Pioneertown. When we got to the paved road the deputies got a good laugh out of our travels and let us through. :clap:

3. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Team Big Bear also already postponed one of the Big Bear Shootout / US Cup XC races from May 2 to July... They are still going to hold the May 16th race which means that folks will need to take one of the two alternate routes. They did not state the highway closure as a reason (just too much snow and unreliable trail consitions).

Wonder how this will effect the Tour of California which will be passing through mid-May. While the race route is not scheduled to be on the 330, I can imagine that alot of folks were planning to take the 330 up to Big Bear for spectating purposes.....

4. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    More info -

Crews will be closing State Route 330 on March 16, 2010 for approximately 3-4 weeks contingent on material availability. This is due to a culvert failure approximately eight miles north of Highland Avenue. Erosion accelerated by recent storms has damaged the existing culvert leaving the area in need of immediate attention. As a result, an emergency project has been initiated.

And -

CalTrans officials determined cracks in the roadway about eight (8) miles above Highland Avenue were caused by a culvert failure about 80-feet below the actual roadway.

The contractor will repair the damage caused by the storm damage and repave the area of Highway 330 where the damage has been observed.

Therefore, the road closure between Highland Avenue and Live Oak Drive will mean motorists will be forced to utilize Highway 18 or Highway 38 to gain access to Running Springs, Snow Valley and Big Bear Valley.

"The full closure, which begins after the evening commute," CalTrans spokesperson Darin Cooke stated, "will last until possibly sometime in June."

5. TREE

TREE New Member

Guess I won't be visiting my sister in Arrowhead any time soon.

6. stjunkie

stjunkie New Member

The Breathless Agony race will be a little more interesting this year.

7. Letyrides

Letyrides Roar!

Highway 330 Closed until June

I know a lot of travel up to Big Bear. Just saw this in the register.

Highway 330 to get into the San Bernardino Mountains is closed as Caltrans crews work to remove and replace a damaged culvert near City Creek, according to authorities.
    Caltrans officials described it as an emergency condition and said the project is scheduled for completion by mid-June.
    Highway 330 is the main road to Big Bear Lake, Arrowhead and Running Springs.
    Substantial excavation is required before the damaged pipe can be removed, the new pipe installed and the road put back in use, authorities said.
    Once the culvert is replaced and the roadway is put back, work will continue under one-way traffic control until the project is complete.
    Highway 38 from Redlands and Highway 18 from Victorville are alternate routes.
    For route information, go to www.dot.ca.gov/dist8/.

8. guitarxphdx

guitarxphdx New Member

Full time student/construction
    no shooting for me up there

9. shrimpboy

shrimpboy gottakeepmovin

Cal Trans - NOW OPEN SR-330 just north of 210. Repair crews are putting the finishing touches through mid-June.

Snow Summit Website - Hwy 330 has re-opened! There may still be some delays as the repairs are finalized.

Just in time: The Snow Summit Scenic Sky chair will open May 21st to celebrate the Amgen Tour of California's first ever mountaintop finish! The Sky Chair will be open weekends only starting May 22nd, 2010 into June then open daily beginning June 19th, 2010. The Sky Chair will also be open May 31st for Memorial day.