Springs in Cleveland National Forest?

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by Bonsainut, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Bonsainut

Bonsainut Was ich nicht weiß...

Can you drink out of these?

I'm being serious. You know the spring 2/3rd's up Holy Jim? Or the spring at the bottom of Upper HJ? Can you fill a bottle there and drink?

2. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Yes, In a pinch. The general rule is, if there is livestock up stream don't drink without filtering, boiling, infrared or pills. To me the easiest is to bring a filter with you. I have drank out of many streams and rivers MTBing in the Sierras and Colorado, but not Santa Anas. I just have not done long enough rides in the Santa Anas that I could not carry enough water.

Dean

3. Bonsainut

I've drank from streams before when backpacking - but I always treated the water. I was curious because these springs truly come right out of the side of the mountain and run all year - unlike a stream that can get contaminated upstream or dry up. I was hoping to find someone who drank there and lived to tell about it :) Your advice about the filter is a good one, regardless.

4. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    If that is the case I would drink there. The main risk would be from chemicals used during the mining years...treating and filtering water does not get rid of chemical poisons anyway.

5. thebeast64

thebeast64 Member

Sometimes the springs can be contaminated with particularly nasty bacteria. There is one on the road up to idyllwild that has become contaminated and is surrounded by signs. In a real pinch I might drink it. But I'd just bring iodine tablets if your worried. And they weight next to nothing and are very effective when used properly.

6. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    The Cleveland national forest and especially the Tenaja and Holy Jim springs are locations of human smuggling routes, and marijuana cultivation. Do not drink the water in any of these locations.

I have observed illegal aliens encamped due south of Holy Jim trailhead. The illegals use the ridge line to bypass the two border check points.

7. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    Wasn't it great when we could just about drink any clean-looking water we wanted? I used to have a cup tied onto my backpack, and dip it in every small stream crossing the John Muir Trail. Could hike all day and never need to carry water.

As for Holy Jim water, maybe the Sierra Club or the OC Hiking Club has an answer for you. Personally, I'd filter it. But in the Santa Ana's, I'd just carry 100 to 140 oz. for most rides, and have also placed water caches near the Main Divide for re-supply on rides over 4 hours. Gallon containers can be driven up Maple Springs, etc., and hidden near the road. A gallon fills a 100 oz. bladder, plus a water bottle, plus enough left over to wash down some Enduralytes.

8. Bonsainut

When was this? Are you saying Main Divide might not be safe? I bike up there now and then by myself and have never seen anyone when I've gone, but I certainly don't want my first contact to be with a bunch of drug-runners!

9. mpmffitz

mpmffitz Farm Freerider

Hand cuffs and leg irons please
    I dont advise to ride alone up there besides drug runners which are rare, but big cats too..

10. Grego

Grego The FLB

counting drops of water
    I took a drink a coulpe of times from the water around Joplin. This was several years ago and I'm still alive. But now I know better and would not drink it. The water runs through areas of heavy slime and moldy looking stuff. Yuk.

11. XCRider

XCRider Member

I have ridden Blackstar, Skyline, Maple Springs, and the Main Divide solo for nearly 20 years and never had a problem (except for an occasional issue at the bottom of Blackstar). It would be best to filter the water because of the number of people that go near those springs, but I think you are probably safer out there than on any city street in Orange County. This talk of illegals, mountain lions, and drug runners is fun, but not the reality. Go ride on a weekend day and you'll have plenty of company around you on almost any trail that's ridable.

12. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Think to yourself, can someone pee above it somewhere?
    Is there a pool where a squirrel or rat could drown ans rot!
    Are livestock in the area?

If so, then you should probably treat the water.

13. Bonsainut

Here's a photo of the spring in question. Kinda hard to see it (with a flash) but the water is flowing out of there pretty well. It comes right out of the side of the hill.

[​IMG]

14. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    I had a friend who got Giardia on a backpacking trip, and I've filtered my water ever since. He was really sick for about two weeks. Don't know why you need to drink this water, and who's to say it isn't totally fine(?), but its not like you're camping there or anything. If it was me, I'd just drive up in my truck and stash some water jugs where I think I might want them. Then I'd have the peace of mind to drink a hundred ounces or so and not wonder if I'm going to get sick.

15. One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind New Member

Landscape Designer (Architect in Training)
    I've drunken out of springs before, hiking when I was younger. It looks like you'd have to lick rocks to get any water out of that spring...

16. Bonsainut

The photo doesn't really show it, but the water is pouring freely out of that hole. You could set a bottle in it, and it would fill up fast enough without having to touch any dirt or anything - the water is flowing out of the rock.

However the point is still very valid - why drink there unless it was an emergency? It was more curiosity than anything and I was hoping someone was going to say - oh yeah, we drink there ALL the time :)

17. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

grab a sample and have it tested for curiosity's sake

18. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Remember, just because it's coming from the rocks - doesn't mean it's okay. Could be running along the roots and that's its 'out' spot.

Like Aaron said, for fun - grab samples from various springs and have it tested.

19. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

I ran out of water coming down joplin last year in the 100 degree heat. I've never been so tempted to drink out of those springs!!! I've been meaning to put some purification tablets in my camelback ever since! I started the ride with 150 oz btw

20. XCRider

XCRider Member

Water in the Santa Anas?

This is a great topic! I'd love to be able to ride all the way from Coal to Blue Jay without having to carry gallons of water. A camelback to start, a filter in the pack, and some dry drink powder would sure lighten the load. Stashing bottles is fine, but it means either driving a long ways up a jeep trail, or coming down to Maple Springs for the refill. Be nice to have a list of springs higher up along the Main Divide. In fact, I've long imagined being able to do Carbon Canyon to San Juan Hot Springs unsupported. I figured on a stop near the 91, one near Bedford, another at HJ, and then finally at Blue Jay would make it quite doable. Has anyone here ever seen a list of water sources in the Santa Anas? I've got to believe somebody's gone over this at least once in the past.