Spinning = better MTB riding?

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by capnsavem, Nov 28, 2007.

1. nappyt

nappyt New Member

I just wore my baggy mtb shorts with a gym shirt something wicking.

2. jschwart73

jschwart73 New Member

So, having just returned to the bike recently, I have some perspective on spin class from a newb:

1 - The instructor is just guidance. Spin class is what you make of it. You want cardio, lighten resistance and crank away. You want strength work, tighten it up and use your muscles. Work harder if the instructor isn't working you hard enough.
    2 - Spin has improved 3 things in my riding over the last 8 weeks. Cardio - I definitely get cardio work, my HR has dropped significantly when riding now. Form - My pedal stroke is improving drastically, which has made my climbing better. Leg strength - The last two weeks in spin (I get on a spin bike twice a week in a class, and once a week I grab one and pick a corner of the gym and do my own thing), I've been concentrating on really cranking up the resistance and working on leg strength.

I know there is no substitute for saddle time, but with a 60 hr a week job, two kids, taking an hour a day 3 days a week for spin class has REALLY helped my riding and is contributing to building up my base. I have a LONG way to go, but at least I'm finally seeing results and I have to contribute quite a bit of that to spin class.

3. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

I lost about 5 lbs recently...riding more and adding in other exercise (MTB workout with weights and dynamic movements), but most of it I would attribute to food. Eating less sugar. Switching out carb-y snacks like pretzels for fruit. Eating more veggies. Drinking green tea instead of diet soda, etc.

I also eat little snacks constantly...every 2 hours or so.

4. mp3

mp3 mirroring the trail

juggling passions
    Home Page:
    Everyone is different. I gain weight if I hit the gym (even if I do high reps...30-50), but I can lose a pound every day or two if I don't eat enough when I'm riding. Not surprisingly, I have to eat a ton to keep my weight steady.:)

5. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

becarefull what you ask for. something like that could scar you for life! :lol:

6. kanga

kanga Active Member

Ever been to a county fair? They have "correctional" mirrors for that! :beer:

7. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Member

I found an effective way to learn to pedal in smooth circles is to pedal with one foot at a time. Switching back and forth at regular intervals. It immediately forces you to smooth out your pedal stroke and after awhile, it becomes natural.

8. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

I went to spinning last night at the gym. I find it helps with non-technical climbing. Since I can't ride during the week it is nice to keep the legs moving.

It definitely has some major disadvantages.
    • Being 6'5" I have a hard time getting the spinning bike to fit like my XL Enduro.
    • Crank length is different which makes riding my real bikes feel weird
    • Since you don't have to stabilize yourself or balance it teaches your body to spin but not balance. Much like bench press, curls, or leg extensions teaching your muscles to work independent of one another essentially making you less coordinated.

9. SheDevil

SheDevil I just ride my bike....

Tall....rides Specialized and has great advice??? Bow chika bow bow....oh ahem...sorry...carry on. :lol:

10. capnsavem

capnsavem DAN THE MAN

Desk Jockey.
    great input, everyone.

thanks.

11. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    pedaling effective? cadence? Blah Blah Blah I just get on the bike and crank ;)

12. jcbikeski

jcbikeski New Member

I guess if you can get up the big hills quickly without killing yourself it's all good:)

13. capnsavem

capnsavem DAN THE MAN

Desk Jockey.
    that's my #1 goal. #-o

14. queenwilhelmina

queenwilhelmina God Save the Queen

Since I have a very full schedule (full time work, full time school), the gym has been a great complement (not substitute) for riding. For a good cardio workout, I'll usually use the stationary bike and the stairmaster. Change the intensity in intervals for the best workout.

Nagaredama makes a great point about balance though. The stationary bikes don't do anything for your balance - what I've been doing has worked wonders for my balance: I use mostly free weights and I stand on one leg when doing most exercises. This actually increases the intensity of the workouts (without adding weight) and it is great for improving balance and core muscles. You'd be amazed how hard it is at first, but you'll also notice how much stronger you are after a while! I've seen way more muscle definition since I've started doing this.

But back to spinning. Those classes totally scare me for some reason... maybe it's because of the music, maybe it's because of all the die hard spinners. If anyone goes to the 24-Hr Fit on Lemon in Fullerton, let me know if you want to try one of these classes with me - maybe it won't be as bad if I go with a buddy!

15. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Willie...great suggestion about standing on one leg to work core muscles. They also make these little inflatable disks that you can stand on...soooooooo hard to do but makes a great workout!

[​IMG]

I think you should give spin a try. There is a huge mix of folks who go to my class...the newbs to the diehards. It's fun :)

16. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

For balance and coordination try doing your lifting with a single dumbbell instead of two. Singe over head press, single chest press, single curls etc. This really works you core because there isn't a counter balance to the weight you're lifting.

Try overhead squats and doing lunges with a single dumbbell over your head.

Split jumps help for bunny hopping and general explosive power on the bike.

17. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

I was actualy thinking about doing a Spin Class at 24 Hour fitness... I was there today and saw all the bikes. I know, for a fact, that no spin class is going to put me through as much hurt as my coach does on our training rides...

...BUT, I can't hurt, it's probably fun, AND there are probably a lot of women in there (which is mainly why I want to go, haha)

What should I wear? I can't imagine being comfortable sweating a ton on a saddle without my bibs.

18. Jay

Jay Round is a lifestyle.

Whatever pays the bills
    I have been going to spin classes for about 3 months now and it has helped my climbing tremendously. I am just getting back into riding after 5 years off and I can not believe how well I climb now. I have found that the instructor makes all the difference in the world. The classes I enjoy the most focus on drills that elevate the heart rate and then allow you to recover. Some is speed work and some are hill climbs. There is no subsitute for time in the saddle, but for me this is a good alternative.

19. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Ya, I always just wore my MTB attire. I was th eonly non-roadie in the class. They all called me "Mountain Bike Guy". Very original.

20. Bert

Bert Member

At one point, I was doing back to back spin classes on Tuesday's and Thursday's. I personally think it helped me drastically, but it was just extremely time consuming and I was pretty worked during the week.

Bert