Spin Class

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by moochy, Feb 4, 2005.

1. moochy

moochy New Member

Student
    I just tried my first spin class at my local YMCA and I was wondering if anyone else does spinning and do they think it helps their mtbing.

I think the only part of the class that was good for my legs was when you "float" (stand up and pedal). It'll probably help with climbing some technical stuff (although i don't usually stand up, even on the tough stuff)...The rest of the class wasn't too exciting. Just pedaling as fast as you can with little resistance, which never happens with real mtbing. I also had a hard time adjusting to the lack of a freewheel. A couple different times i would try to stop my feet but the pedals would keep going and i'm sure i almost broke my ankles. #-o

Anyways, not a good first experience in the class but i'm wondering if I should go back. I do a lot of running and it seems like that would be more beneficial than spinning. Also, does anyone have any good training tips to get better (weight or otherwise)?

2. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
  3. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    All the rains drove me to the gym for a few sits on the stationary bike as well. I have to agree that it just isn't the same. But what worked for me to even partially simulate a climb up Mathis was to put the bike on "bike mode" (while not entirely sure what it did, I took the machine's word that it was better than "non-bike mode"). Then I found the crazist hill program and dialed-in the level until it felt kinda real. I'm not trying to be "badd-azz" but as you said, many of the other settings were lacking resistance and totally not realistic. They felt like I was in the wrong gear... :-s
    Still, it just wasn't the same, but it was better than nothing. And when I got back on the trail I didn't feel like I spent 3 weeks on my arse.

But the best part was that it made me appreciate the real thing that much more! \:D/

4. pshloss

pshloss New Member

Try Heart Monitor and Interval Training

I checked out the ACSM page and the link on Training Programs looks good. I am just getting into a little more serious training, and one key I am looking at is using a Heart Monitor. I bought the Impulse 12 for $40 at Performance. So far, it seems like an excellent deal. Anyway, I think you could do some excellent interval training at the gym. This is where you exercise at about 85% of your max heart rate (called your Lactate Threshold) for short intervals. This increases your ability to process oxygen and improves power and endurance. The training article discusses this as does about every book on training. I bought the Bicycling Magazine book on Cycling Training for $10. It's a good book for someone starting into a training program. Not too technical, but covers all aspects- technique, training plans, theory, weights, food, etc.

5. miznaxxx

miznaxxx New Member

I cannot stress the importance of a heart rate monitor enough if your getting yourself into serious training. Power monitors are supposed to be the next even better step, but they don't start cheep. I've been using a heart rate monitor for the past couple years and it's the best way to see inside your body and know how you're doing and what's even better is seeing improvement. If you want to start racing a heart rate monitor is a must in order to know what you can and can't do or shouldn't be doing and to plan out your tactics.

ps. I just did my first century this weekend in Palm Springs and it was an awesome experience, even for a xc-mtbr like me, like nothing I've ever experienced before.

6. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    I'm interested in a heart monitor but I'm worried about two things . . .

#1 Does it distract you from riding? (I dont want to have an accident because I'm playing with it)

#2 Does it take away from the "freeness" or fun of biking too much?

7. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    Two reasons I haven't ventured into that realm either LBmtb!

8. miznaxxx

miznaxxx New Member

Good questions:

#1 No. You won't be looking at it when you're DH'ing. You'll be looking at it more when you're on the flats and especially climbing. When climbing your HR will go through the roof so it's a great way of pacing yourself. It's also good when you're on the flats to make sure you keep yourself at a steady and not too slow of a pace.

#2 I've found it to be a lot of fun working with the HR monitor to get to know myself and see improvement. I don't think it'll take away from the freeness or fun if your looking to step up to the next level.

Personally, I have a hard time riding w/out it. I love knowing where I'm at, whether I'm doing better or having a bad day. I write down the stats after each ride but rarely look back to see how I did because I'm improving slowly every day. It's just great to see that not only does your time improve on certain rides and climbs, but so does your overall fitness.

9. chumbaracing

chumbaracing Guest

I agree. I recently got a HRM and its made my riding so much more enjoyable. I enjoy seeing where my HR is, and to pace myself -- especially climbing. Before, I had a big problem where I burned myself out climbing too quickly; with the HRM, that doesn't happen anymore. Also, like MIZNA said, when your DH, you never look at it or when your on steep technical rides, its only when ur climbing usually. It actually helps w/ the climbing tremendously, by keeping your mind more focused on your energy output. Highly recommended.

10. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager
    The lack of a freewheel is great for training. If you're not careful you can get launched over the bars in front of the entire group.............just like real mountain biking :lol:

11. moochy

moochy New Member

Student
    I don't think a heart rate monitor is that important. If you can't tell where your body is at physically then you need to figure it out yourself (or stop doing physical activities). There was an article in "Runner's World" this past month that explained how easy it is to tell what level you are at by using the pledge of allegiance. HRM's are way overboard IMO...you dont need to know your exact number because its pretty irrelevant Some people i guess want to quantify everything, but you're not going to have a hrm on you at all times so you might as well learn how to read your body now. I'm not trying to bag on people who use them (I think they're neat and cool technology), but people shouldnt rely on them.

12. moochy

moochy New Member

Student
    Here's a Funny Storyi found on the mtbr.com message board.

13. DeadlyStryker

DeadlyStryker New Member

school
    ahahahaha that is an awsome story...