Freeride Specialized Stumpy FSR vs Trek EX 8 vs Yeti 575

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by doubleoh7, Feb 26, 2010.

1. doubleoh7

doubleoh7 Called to Creation

Self Employed
    Home Page:
    So this is what I've narrowed the purchase down to. I will be riding places like, Fully Loop, Aliso, and then Mammoth and Big Bear, maybe even Utah. I need an all mountain bike. My previous rides were all 5" travel bikes, that being said, the EX8 appeals to me because of the components and more XC orientation, while still have 120mm of travel. The FSR and 575 are equal in travel, but have different pivot orientations. Anyone have any feedback to help me out. I have been unsuccessful finding a direct comparison with any of these three. The new bike magazine "bible" is about the closest, but it's still doesn't do a direct comparison. Thanks for the input -

2. minimusprime

minimusprime Did I just taste purple?

um. You've got a weird comparison of bikes. Without a doubt the yeti 575 would be my choice for riding around socal. The stumpy doesn't do it for me and I'm a specialized whore.

The trek ex8 is a nice bike but too trail for me. I need more AM in my diet. The 575 with a talas 36 rc2 would be my weapon of choice for the aformentioned trails and mountains.

3. doubleoh7

Self Employed
    Home Page:
    yeah, I guess, I'm looking more for a trail bike huh?? :?:

4. MethodX

MethodX Uber Method

I'm the guy that figures stuff out.
    I have had a Blur, Enduro Pro and Ibis Mojo SL.

I like suspension. Love it. I'm larger than the average bear so I justify the suspension with my size though I am only a trail rider not blazer.

My new Specialized Marathon 29 rides the best. I currently have it along with the Mojo. The Mojo is lighter and more plush. If I need that little extra something for a big ride I pick the Marathon everytime.

5. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

My girl friend just got rid of her FSR Pro and got a 575 to replace it. So far she likes the Yeti much better than the FSR. She says the 575 climbs alot better and I've noticed that her riding has improved too.

6. doubleoh7

Self Employed
    Home Page:
    did she have the Stumpjumper FSR or the FSR XC?

7. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

She had the FSR XC Pro

8. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

throw a nomad in there or a blur LT for comparison.

9. Upchuck

Upchuck Marlboro Man in training

Leg Man
    I rented a Stumpy when I rode in BC. Only test rode a 575. Test rode an EX8 for a couple weeks before buying my EX9.9. Hands down, Trek was the best performing all-around trail bike. I raced the EX9.9 in the BC Bike Race last summer. I've done endurance races, all day epic XC rides, and even raced some short distance XC races on it. I love it.

The APB suspension is fully active in all conditions, even hard braking in turns. The "full floater" design also gives it a bottomless feel when landing off drops.

I have several friends who ride EX8's and EX9.9's. IMO, the EX8 is the best bang for your buck at that pricepoint.

10. doubleoh7

Self Employed
    Home Page:
    Big thanks for taking the time for detailed input +1

11. hill^billy

hill^billy KICK YOUR OWN A$$!.......

rug sucker
    I'm riding an 08 Enduro, set my wife up with a 575. Probably can't go wrong with the 575. Get to ride both bikes, love them both.

12. TreksterFuelex

TreksterFuelex Next to beer, I

Inside sales
    I personally have been sporting an EX8 for the last year. I've done some upgrades here and there but it's basically stock. I love climbing, plain and simple. The EX is perfect in that it's stance is aggressive enough for you to go out there and climb anything you throw infront of it.

When your down climbing I love how agile it is coming down. Be it the suspension or the geometery of the rig, it's just one of those bikes that you feel utterly comfortable with in all conditions.

I'm in agreement with upchuck in the ABP system is tits! When you find yourself in those hairy situations you'll be glad you have that underneath you maintaining control.

I've got mine getting powder coated right now but as soon as I get it back you're more than welcome to take mine out for a spin over here at the Fullyloop. Granted it's 19.5 you should have a overall feel for the thing. PM to eventually set something up.

13. Thinkless Domore

Thinkless Domore New Member

I would go for the 575, but if you're looking into more XC, then the 575 shouldn't be in there with the stump and EX8.

14. metalmtbr

metalmtbr Member

IT propeller-head
    Yes and a hearty amen. Upchuck, I talked to you recently at the Los Robles TH while you were hitching up your Fuel EX9.9 to leave. Couldn't agree with you more on the bang-for-the-buck value of the Fuel EX line.

Socalrider77, I'm sure the other bikes mentioned are awesome bikes. Based on my personal experience with my Trek Fuel EX8, IMO, you really can't go wrong with the Fuel.

15. doubleoh7

Self Employed
    Home Page:
    Will do, thanks for the offer

16. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    You should demo try and demo all 3 bikes and see which one you are the most comfortable on. I would also demo all 3 on the same trail so it would make comparing them easy.

17. bk12

bk12 New Member

Another vote for demoing the bikes. That being said, another vote for the EX. I don't think Trek gets enough credit for how good their latest ABP/FF bikes really are these days. I had a 2008 EX 9.5, loved that, but recently upgraded to a Remedy. If you really wanted something heavier duty than the EX, don't overlook the Remedy. There is a very small weight penalty, and with the Talas 36 I have on the front, it climbs as well as my EX ever did.

18. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    Doesn't sound like you really want a true all mountain bike. More like a trail bike (even Trek and Specialized call the bikes mentioned 'trail bikes'). I've ridden a 575 in Big Bear. It was very nice climbing and descending on the more XC type trails up there, but when things got chunky, I couldn't wait to get back on my Reign with a 160mm fork.

There is no real free lunch in this respect. The jack of all trades is the master of none. If you want a bike that makes you smile in Big Bear or Mammoth, then you'll have to give up something when you ride Fully and Aliso. Something in between will survive either, but not really shine.

If you get more of a kick climbing than descending, go with the 5"+/- bikes. If you mostly climb to savor the descent (my personal preference), I'd favor the 6" true AM variety bikes.

Of course, a good test ride will let the seat of your own pants tell you which you like best.

With the bikes you are eyeing, I'd also be maybe see if you could squeeze a lightly used DW 5-Spot into the budget.

Bike shopping is fun. Take your time and ride as many as possible :beer:

19. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

well, I've got a 1st generation EX9 and like it a lot. very fast, very cushy (for 120mm/130mm travel), and corners amazingly well. my only real complaints are a lack of rear triangle stiffness, and rear tire clearance. those problems have since been fixed, and I'm sure that the new ones are super awesome.

I will say, for a fast, XC oriented trail bike, the EX is a good choice. I can throw on the propedal and go up most everything, or open it up and fly down most anything. Ive done many a DH race on the bike, and the only real limiting factor is the steeper HA (compared to other DH bikes). still, it's got a lower BB than most bikes in that class (read: turns well), it's nice and long (should you be of Sasquatch proportions like me), and has the best warranty you're gonna find in a bike company.

with regards to the stumpy, I've ridden my brother's 07 stumpy, and it's also a really nice bike. nice, stiff rear, good tire clearance, and quite plush. it sits a little taller than the trek, but that will give you a bit of clearance on climbs. you do kinda notice the extra travel, but I don't think that it really makes a difference in how well you can ride the bike (whether it be up or down). I do recall that it fit a little shorter in the biggest sizes (again, if you're big like me it matters to you).

also, speshy has a good warranty, but in my experience not as good as trek's. iirc they cover your main triangle for life, and the rear suspension for only a few years (2 or 5 i think).

I have no experience with the 575, other than other people saying that they like them. :?:

I am going to go ahead and recommend looking at a few other options though. as mentioned, something along the lines of a Blur LT2, tracer VP, etc would be a good choice. it can be built light and trail-oriented, or you can beef it up to a more AM build with a fork change. something along these lines would give you a little more flexibility if you're unsure of how burly of a bike you're going to want.

hope that helps

20. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Demo, demo, demo.

I have a 2008 575 and I like it a lot. On the upside, it's a bike that can be built as a long-travel XC bike, and it's surprisingly efficient, climbing and handling tight trails well. Or it can be built heavier as an AM bike, though I doubt the geometry would let it compare to the true AM rigs at places like Mammoth. It's also got a somewhat stretched feel to the cockpit, so check the fit carefully.

You mentioned some wildly different trails - Fully to Mammoth. Think about what you ride the most and where you want the bike to be strongest, then demo, and buy and build accordingly. And if Mammoth or Utah are just occasional destinations, maybe consider renting when you are there.