Specialized Pitch

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by ODB, Nov 14, 2007.

1. el_d00der1n0

el_d00der1n0 New Member

Home Page:
    Wow. Interesting perception. You know, I don't find such a negative view of hardly any bike. Even the Shocker is kinda interesting to look at to me.

Something I've noticed: Specialized messes with the seat tube a bit much. For example, my FSRxc has a pierced tube. I think it looks cool, but I wanted to drop the seat the other day, and that wasn't really an option. This bike has a bent tube that will again limit the ability to drop the seat.

2. Jayman

Jayman Member

I just got the Pitch Pro tonight:bang:. I'll post up a ride review and pics after my ride tomorrow. Anyone want to buy a 2007 Specialized FSR XC Comp?

3. capnsavem

capnsavem DAN THE MAN

Desk Jockey.
    pics/info?

4. Jayman

Jayman Member

Sorry, it sold earlier today. I have to say it went pretty quick. Posted it up on craigslist yesterday and it was sold today.:) I still have to post a ride report on the pitch though. I wanted to take pics of her before she got dirty.

5. capnsavem

capnsavem DAN THE MAN

Desk Jockey.
    schucks.

cool man- i'll keep checking for pics/report

6. BadBoyRipper

BadBoyRipper Complete Rookie

Mortgage Banker
    Let's see those pics of the Pitch!!

7. Jayman

Jayman Member

8. capnsavem

capnsavem DAN THE MAN

Desk Jockey.
    thats a good lookin' rig.

9. Jayman

Jayman Member

Taking the Pitch out for the first time

When I was test riding the bike, the guys at the LBS where I got my bike told me I could see how the front suspension works by telling me to lean back and hit the curb going a little over 5 mph. I did what they told me and WOW, up the curb I went without as much as a hiccup. They told me to do this after seeing me try to pop the front end up when I was going over curbs. With my old bike I never had the courage to try that.

Today I got to REALLY play with it. Well, I finally took my new bike out today. Since its been a while since our group rode last, we decided to take it "easy" and hit up Fullerton. To me, Fully has most of the conditions I'm used to. I'm not the hucking type (yet) so Fullerton was just right to see what I can do at my current skill level.

This rig is AWSOME! It can climb with the other bikes that were in our group (2 Stumpjumpers and a Superlight). It felt like it weighed as much as my old bike (07 FSR XC) but its a LOT more bike but climbed so much better. I didn't even notice that I forgot to lower my fork during the climbs. I just spun my way up all the climbs and I was just as fast as my old bike.

The suspension is PLUSH!!! I kept on saying "so THIS is how its like to ride a couch on a trail!";). I was trying to hit every bump, root, rock and ditch I could find and it floated over everything. During the ride, I let my brother ride my bike and I rode his. Even though his is lighter, I still felt every little bump. It was really interesting to feel the difference between the two bikes.

Downhills are even more fun now. Once I get more used to the bike, I'll hit everything at full speed. Sorry, but I still don't have the feel or expertise to tell you how the bike would feel or perform against other makes and models. So take this as a bike review from a Semi-newb's perspective.

I'm so glad I pulled the trigger and got this bike. It feels good to not feel so bad about getting something that other people might think is "expensive".

Hopefully I'll see more of you out on the trails. I try to make the posted rides but since I work at nights, its kinda hard for me to get up in the mornings, even 8 am is early for me. I'll still try to get out there though. See ya!

10. BadBoyRipper

BadBoyRipper Complete Rookie

Mortgage Banker
    Which version did you end up purchasing?

11. Jayman

Jayman Member

I ended up getting the Pro in brown. I wasn't too excited about the electric yellow. Just in case some of you missed the link to the pics, I'll go ahead and post some here. Hopefully I'll see some more STR peeps on the trails so you guys can get a better look at it. Oh yeah, she's not this clean anymore. I just wanted to get some "before" shots before it took her out.

Attached Files:

12. station

station Is this thing on?

Nice! Let me know if you're in Aliso. we can test it against my stumpy. :)

13. Jayman

Jayman Member

Sure! I've been itching to ride Aliso again. Hopefully some time soon I'll get back out there. I've always wanted to try El Morro too, but I don't know my way around . My GPS is acting up, but that won't stop me from doing some exploring. If I head out that way, I'll post something up.

14. S54MCoupe

S54MCoupe New Member

True story. My friends get a kick out of guys doing their local singletrack with 90lb downhill rigs.

In fact, my buddy cleaned El Prieto on a cyclocross bike... that makes me think that some people may in fact be over prepared for certain trails.

15. Jayman

Jayman Member

Yeah, I figured This bike would be overkill, but I'm still VERY happy with it. I don't notice the weight when I'm climbing and in fact, it climbs just like my 4" travel bike that I just sold. I just wanted something with a little more travel.......plus my previous bike was a little on the small side for me, so while looking for a bigger bike, why not go with something that will give me a little more confidence?

I don't ride as much as I'd like to so with my new bike I actually have more fun and confidence, so I'm not worried about trying to go down something that might be a little too much. Hopefully the more I ride it, the more I'll be able to ride it to its full potential.

Trust me, I'm not one of those posers who have all the bling (or wish they had;)) but are too afraid to ride anything other than paved trails. I just want to ride.