Ride Report Spearfish Maiden Voyage @ The Weedpatch

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by BikeThePlanet, Sep 16, 2012.

1. jimmymats

jimmymats Member

Some good suggestions here about dialing in the suspension and getting used to riding full suspension. All I can say is, I love my Spearfish. I find it offers a great combination of efficiency and comfort on climbs. It's also quite a capable descender (more than I thought when I bought it).

Saddles are very much a personal preference, but I actually like the Silverado now, especially for longer rides. It feels hard and flat (esp. at first), but I prefer my sit bones on top, vs. a saddle that feels like it wedges in there nicely (Fizik Gobi), but over the long haul causes more discomfort. At least for me.

Hope the Spearfish works out for you.

2. willsy

willsy New Member

bankers hours...
    this end of year deal you speak of... is that a specific sale you are referencing? been looking at one of these myself...

3. irv_usc

irv_usc Active Member

Multiple shops are clearing out their 2012's. I specifically saw some Salsas on "deal" at the Path when I was there last week. Also they were having their labor day sale a few weeks ago which if I remember right was tax free on top of clearance pricing.

4. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Mountain Bike Forum Owner
    Home Page:
    BTP,
    Maybe you should stick to pavement. It creates a lower carbon foot print, and it sounds like it might be much more your style of riding based on your whiney rant about your new Mountain Bike, and riding on *gasp* dirt! :lol:

5. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

Positive as usual. Stay classy Mikie.

6. guero

guero iFroth

Nice lil review. Like the others said, F/S takes some time to get used to, especially if you've never ridden one. Once you get it dialed in, you'll love it (i think).

I still need to check out the WeedPatch, I am never down that far south though.

7. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

I didn't get to fully appreciate it as I was pretty focused on the bike. Dirtvert's RR a while bike got me stoked on it and I have been meaning to check it. Like most SoCAL trails I am sure it is a lot better after a little rain. There are plenty of trails. Looks like you could ride for days. One of the other groups even came across some rollers and teeter totter type thing. I'll definitely be back. One tip, it seemed like every time I came around a blind bend . . . boom climb. I was with several first timers and the guys in front of me kept getting caught in the wrong gear. It could use some more green, but plenty of option out there and plenty of free parking.

It was about 30 minutes with no traffic from HB.

As far as the bike, I am sure you are right. Like all new bikes there are tweaks to be done and this one has a lot more than the El Mariachi. I think it might even be lighter than the fully rigid El Mariachi, which is cool. I'll be spending time getting it dialed in before Rwanda that is for sure. I am looking forward to a little plusher ride after being worn out after the last couple of years riding it on the fully rigid. Also, already thinking about the new trails in Tahoe to try on it.

8. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    ^^ You two can double date and I'll give you a tour!

The more you ride out there, the more fun it is! Lemme know...

(btw- the Weedpatch kicked my butt the first time I rode it)

9. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Home Page:
    If you only knew the facts BTP. You'll ALWAYS have a special place in my heart.....;)

Hugs and kisses!

10. Steve C

Steve C Team Sausages 2012

Special projects manager

[​IMG]

11. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Home Page:
    Dear Bike the Planet,
    Spekledtrout has taken it upon himself to PM me a couple of times now asking me to stop being so negative on STR. In particular to you.
    Personally, I really want you to enjoy your new bike. Infact, I would be more than happy to come down and help you set it up (I'm pretty good at that stuff).
    We could go for a ride and dial it in whereever you enjoy riding. I love mountain biking. It has been a passion of mine for over 20 years.

The disconnect between you and me comes when people join groups that shut down what all of us here on STR are hopefully half as passionate about as myself. Mountain Biking. In my world I have four core values. My goal is not to offend anyone here, and I do claim that I am far from perfect...They are in this order. 1) God 2) My Family 3) My Job and 4) Mountain Biking. They are EXACTLY all I have, and all I care to do.

So BTP, you see, when I ask a guy about an allegiance on a Mountain Biking Site to Mountain Biking and he refuses to reply, especially when I know they are a member of a conflicting organization, I can only assume that his loyalty is other places, and Mountain Biking is my middle name, my life blood, my connection to the outside world, how I connect with nature, and how I spend my time with the only close friends I have....

So I appologize to you personally, It's not you. It's who you choose to represent. I have a strong passion against the Sierra Club when it comes to the world of Mountain Biking.

If you want to learn more tips and tricks about your bike, or about how to ride. I can help and would love to do so. Please, however, take the time to think about what you say to a group of core MTB'ers in the future. Are you putting out fires, or tossing some gasoline on an already hot subject.

Fair enough?

~Sincerely, Mikie

12. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Speckled trout, you never cease to amaze me with your manly powers. :lol::-k;) That is all.

13. badgas

badgas I like dirt

Oh no !

We are not going down the Sierra Club road again are we ?

Mikie ,

I have the same 4 core values as you and in the same order BTW well maybe 3 and 4 could be swapped. Bro I would need an abacus to count the pages that were spent with BTP and the SC last go around. Trust me I can't stand the Sierra Club but maybe we should keep this one dedicated solely to his bike ?

Peace

14. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    Mike, actually I only asked you once. You responded with a delightfully venomous response that went on for many paragraphs. My second private message to you was just a response to your response.

you don't seem to want to believe that I don't have an agenda. I assure you I've never met Bike the Planet.
    But you sure seem like you'd be a lot of fun at a party.

15. fos'l

fos'l Member

JRA
    MW, thanks for identifying btp for what he identifies with. I'm surprised that the sc doesn't oust him for his MTB activities, since they're completely out of tune with the organization and its goals. I love MTB too and am antagonistic to any subersive group that tries to eliminate it.

16. FFW

FFW Member

Frikin Finance Weenie
    Please don't ban Mikie!!! He really is a sweet guy - I'll talk to him, he'll listen to me. If you ever get a chance, get out to Frasier Park and ride Pinos or Frasier Mtn with him. You will not regret it.

Just please don't anyone EVER mention the S.C. it's like waving a red flag in front of an otherwise docile bull.

:beer:

17. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    "Please limit your comments to the ride report. All others will be removed. And, per STR rules, please be respectful. If I have to remind you again you will find yourself in 'timeout'."--the ghost of Calepic

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2012
  18. TMS

TMS New Member

I say that we tie weights to BTP, throw him in the ocean and see is he sinks. If he sinks, he must be ok, if not, he must be a witch. If he is a witch we should stone him. Also, with Calepic no longer moderating is it possible to bring Disco out of STR exile?

Back to the topic at hand: I bet that once you, BTP, get used to the bike and dial in the set up that you will love it. It will open up new opportunites for you with both the suspension and the gearing. Take it somewhere like oaks or down rockit to feel the difference the suspension will make. It will also make long rides, such as Rwanda much more comfortable. Best of luck and happy riding!

19. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    Ryan, you might want to become more famillar with suspension terms as you pedal down this trail of trial and error. Take notes (just like you tell your students), once you have your base settings you shouldn't be but a couple of clicks away from riding any trail. Change your fork oil often and use the proper wt for your weight and riding style. Keep up on your air psi in your fork and shock. Now I've seen you ride before so I don't think you need to worry about the high speed compression and rebound settings, you can focus on the low speed settings...LOL. Find a section of trail that will give your suspension a nice workout, ride it with all the settings open, then closed...start dialing it in from there (that's what the notebook is for).

20. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

I have obviously not spent enough time on STR as of late, because I have NO IDEA what is going on right now.

Carry on.