Southridge Winter Series Race #1

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by denmother, Oct 18, 2007.

1. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

It's not Word per se, it's anything formatted in HTML and/or using Font tags. The Godfather recently removed the option to size your fonts. ;) So....if you copy and pasted from a web page, etc. you will have to go back and remove all the lovely tags. Pain in the arse!!!

Not sure if my number changes since I was 2nd overall. I will pm you on Saturday after I register. ;)

2. davidB

davidB Active Member

Gonna be quite a turnout...I don't think the mt sac race even had this many rsvp'd

i'm hijacking the girlfriend's Nikon D40, so if you see a dude on a brown kona taking pictures of random things in the STR area, that'd probably be me. Hope to be on the course later, but don't really know if i'll have the chance though

3. gil_caz

gil_caz JfromLV Fan Club viceprez

i kinda wish i wasnt racing so i could just sit on the side and get drunk.:beer:

and ryan, you suck.

4. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Oh that explains it. I was looking at some of my older posts that became totally jacked up with the tags. I guess it stops people from doing those posts with 24pt font.

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing both. :beer: Maybe I would join you if you do.

5. gil_caz

gil_caz JfromLV Fan Club viceprez

i should just move up to sport or expert so i can finish early and drink right away.

6. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

last fontucky race denmother and i sat up on the hill above the end of the wall and heckled. it was priceless!! we just went up after we raced.

7. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Here's the post that explains the changes: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/website-discussion/11800-godfather-font-color-size.html

Just remember to bring the following:

1. Appropriate clothing
    2. Sunscreen
    3. Libations/Snacks/Ice Chest
    4. Trash bag
    5. Toilet paper
    6. Cow Bell
    7. Camera
    That way, you don't have to go back to the car until it's over!!! :lol:

8. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Sounds like Maddie & Myself may be coming out Sat am to do a little XC race watching/cheering...I hope to see a few people and meet a few others :wave:

9. MOSH1DH

MOSH1DH Member

Just remember to bring the following:
    1. Appropriate clothing
    2. Sunscreen
    3. Libations/Snacks/Ice Chest
    4. Trash bag
    5. Toilet paper
    6. Cow Bell
    7. Camera
    added 1
    8. bull horn

I'll be out there Saturday to watch and help E at the Iron Horse and Nema tents.

10. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

No on the bullhorn!

Toward the end of my last race, I heard a couple friends cheering me on, and so over the course of about 10 seconds I was thinking:
    "Oh cool, so and so are out here cheering me on, that's cool that they were able to recognize me...that's cool that they were able to make it back up the hill after their race so soon...cool, it's nice to have people cheering me on...that's nice...I wonder how they did in their class...oh crap, where did that rock come from...crap! foot down...recovered with only a loss of a couple seconds...I hope I didn't look like a total rooky doing that...crap...I lost a couple seconds...let's get back to racing here..."

11. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Cowbells are the much more acceptable form of loud non verbal cheers.

12. cbHarping

cbHarping When can I ride again?

The Path Bike Shop Webmaster
    "Heckled" is a bit tame - you guys were too funny, sitting on the hill screaming at the top of your lungs at any rider going along the wall, whether you knew them or not! :lol:

Yeah, bull horns are a bit over kill. Cowbells and shouts are GREAT! :clap:

13. BrewMaster

BrewMaster Thirsty

Chemist
    Bummer, found out I can't make it this weekend. I guess I'll come watch the next round of races.

14. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Most of the time we were just cheering but for a few choice folks we did the "there's no sitting in downhill!"

Seriously though, we had a lot of fun trying to encourage people. It seemed to work most of the time!

Funny, I hear people's voices when I'm out on the course but don't usually associate it with anyone I know. My mind gets pretty blank when I race DH (hey, no cheap shots please) and I get pretty serious tunnel vision.

15. m80kickflip

m80kickflip New Member

16. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

The other thing I seem to hear is the sounds of someone catching me - even if it's not real, I seem to hear that.

Somewhat unrelated story...I was prerunning the Baja 1000 a couple years ago with a friend. He had recently recovered from being rear-ended by a class 11 car while he was on a bike. Since that time, he's learned and explained many reasons how and why it happens far too frequently. He cautioned me that even though we were prerunning the weekend before the 1000 to get the hell out of the way if I hear a truck coming, especially since my dust will make it difficult for them to see me, and they'll think I'm another truck. The silt and dust in Mexico can be blinding.

After a 100 or so miles into the ride, I swore I heard the rumble of an 800 horsepower truck breathing down my neck. I was in an area with lots of brush and bushes on either side of the two-track. I kept hearing the noise of the truck, but I couldn't see anything - I thought I was hearing things. Then suddenly, one time when I looked back while doing about 50-60 mph, I saw the front end of a truck coming very rapidly poking through my dust - very rapidly. At the rate he was catching me through the dust, I assumed he wouldn't see me until he hit me. Thinking about what happened with my buddy with the class 10 car and having to go to a Mexican hospital, I quickly bombed off the course and through the brush and bushes. Fortunately, this scrubbed off enough speed before I wadded it up.

The guys in the trophy truck stopped to make sure I was ok (I was). But for the rest of that ride, I swore I kept hearing that damned truck. I kept looking back seemingly every 100 feet. To this day, often times when I'm on the motorcycle, I hear that damn truck. Ironically, sometimes when I'm on the DH bike, I hear that damned truck. Maybe that's what motivates me to go faster sometimes!

17. Keith B

Keith B Professional Lion Tamer

Legionnaire of Life
    Wow, I really wondered where you were going with that! It seemed likely you'd mistaken STR for jackedupF250.com or something

18. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

19. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student
    I'm doing Super D, do it, do it!

20. jamesdc

jamesdc New Member

I'm out, my ride bailed. hopefully I'll be there next race.