Ride Report Southridge Winter Series Finals, March 8-9th

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by davidB, Mar 9, 2008.

1. bluefirepictures

bluefirepictures Almost Local Rider/Photog

Home Page:
    Thats too bad. What picture is it??

2. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

5B...

3. bluefirepictures

Home Page:
  4. Rockinthecasbah

Rockinthecasbah A.D.D. Unleased

where you the guy shooting 4x after I crashed?

5. bluefirepictures

Home Page:
    No I'm only up there for the Dh.
    I have thought about sooting 4X and XC but I live too far to make the drive 2 times in a weekend.

6. BobBurnes

BobBurnes Silverback Racing CEO

USAF Combat Search and Rescue
    Home Page:
    I saw the picture of the crash, Ricky...dang dude. That looked gnarly! Glad you're OK. :bang:

Speaking of OK...MUD! Whereyouat!

7. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

8. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    I got over 200 pics from today. Where's a good place to dump them? I was looking at Snapfish but that won't work for STR.

Thanks!

Mott

9. bluefirepictures

Home Page:
    I'm not sure where you could put them. talk to Sharky about pictures. she knows what shes doing

10. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    If I wasn't so lazy I would just build an FTP site but I am exactly that lazy.

11. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

XC Report

Arrived early for the XC on Saturday...I was going to borrow a 29er from our own Speckledtrout (which was kindly brought to the race by DavidB...thank you both!).

I felt pretty good and 100% recovered from VQ. As we were getting ready to line up, someone joked that "we were only doing 1 lap, right?!" Donny said "well, as long as you all agree, that's fine with me." We (the older sport men and all the sport women) looked around and were in almost unanimous agreement about the 1 lap ride (hey, it was already hot out at 9:30!) The lone dissenting voice was from Sarah, the Xterra racer...she quietly said that she would be stronger in her second lap. Allison & I looked at each other, sighed, and said "okay!" (Keep in mind that all the other folks who staged with us--older sport ladies in our category included--were only doing one lap...

I took off pretty fast but I knew Allison would be close behind me. I finally backed off a bit at the beginning of the climb that leads to the cul-de-sac. Speckled's 29er is a 1x9 and I was handling the gearing pretty well, even up the paved road. Xterra Sarah was pretty close behind and Allison was oh so close and ahead. By the top of the first climb up the back, I had a lead over Sarah and would never see her again.

I was feeling pretty strong and tried to keep up a good pace down the singletrack. I still kept Allison in my sights but she was starting to gap me, I could tell. The rest of the first lap went by pretty uneventfully...I made both the little sections where I've had to hike up (thanks, 29er wheels!)

I came into the start line and into the feed...I looked around for Dan for my bottle hand-off and didn't see any familiar faces. I thought, "oh man...where is he??" It was hot, and I had drank almost all my water. I had less than half a bottle of HEED, but it was mixed on the strong side...not a good thirst quencher. A guy who was watching his wife race pro XC must have figured out my predicament...he ran up to the top of the feed and offered me a fresh water bottle! What an angel!

Turns out, Dan & Roger had gone over to the timing tent and they were told that ALL the older sport men and ALL the sport women had agreed to one lap. Oops!

Lap #2 went better for me...I felt stronger and that my HR had settled down. I started to creep back up to Allison and had her in my close sights for the rest of the race. I couldn't close the gap though, and she finished a solid 35-40 seconds ahead!

In an ironic twist, Sarah the Xterra racer (remember, we did two laps at her request) had a DNF...mechanical!

Overall, I bested my last race time by about 3 minutes on a slower course (more sand, less tackiness). I finished 2nd for the race and 2nd overall in the series (Allison was first :) ) My first (and slowest) time in the XC was a 1:46 and I finished the winter series in 1:30:35. 16 minutes faster :)

Not a lot of action shots this time around...

The sport ladies (can you see the Denmother?)
    [​IMG]

Me, just chillin
    [​IMG]

A happy Mechmann gets to ride his new 'Box
    [​IMG]

Part of the XC crew...Allison, Mechmann, me, DavidB, Jman
    [​IMG]

Mechmann's podium...4th for the day, 2nd overall
    [​IMG]

Allison & Me...
    [​IMG]

...downhill report to follow tomorrow

12. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Hey everyone,

First off congrats not only to those that hit the podium today but for everyone that raced DH in yet another windstorm.

I am no photographer but I took over 200 shots today and am in the process of uploading them to http://mottmcfly.smugmug.com/ total number of pics should be 229. Might take awhile for the rest to upload.

I dont think there should be any issue with you downloading your shots from there free of charge. I am sorry but I did not crop or number any of the pics. Basically anything I got today got uploaded. If you are not satisfied with what you downloaded I would be happy to email you the original provided you can give me the plate number and basically what you were wearing.

Again, Great job everyone

13. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Denmother's XC Report

So on Friday I was still on the fence, race XC or just DH???? The weather was due to be warm and wind was predicted....Finally decided Friday night that I would attempt it one more time, what the heck. Roger cleaned and oiled the bike and made sure I was ready to go.....

Got to the staging area and found that there were only 2 of us in the Sport Women 35+ class. Donny gave us the option of doing 1 lap instead of 2 so we jumped at the idea. I decided it would be a good test because I would be able to go all out for 1 lap. Having only raced in the Sport class at Fontana, I have only raced 2 laps.

So, off we went and I decided to push as hard as I could without passing out or puking....I had the lead going out and then got passed on the asphalt uphill. I followed my competition on the 1st fun flowy singletrack and waited for a place to pass. She slipped on one of the short uphills and I was able to pass and then I hammered as much as I could and ended up winning my class. My time was 52 minutes. My low heart rate never dropped below 171 and the max was 180.

And to my surprise, not only did I win my class by 1:44 minutes, I ended up winning the Winter Series overall. I was completely in shock as I was hoping for at least 3rd. I guess I will now have to race XC at the Fontana Nationals and the November annual race and see if I can win the yearly overall and get a pretty winners jersey just like Allison's!!!:)

14. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    What an amazing effort! Way to go!

15. Rockinthecasbah

Sharky just uses a the bulk uploader on photobucket
    Dh photos are going up they wont be done uploading until the morning theres alot of freakin pics

16. mr.plow

mr.plow pushit

any photos of 312Z...beginner xc

17. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    I'm so lame for only taking 229. Most of the time I couldn't see what the heck I was shooting through the goggles anyway. Thank Gawd Sharky was there. By the way, upload complete.

Enjoy

18. Rockinthecasbah

Awsome have you always had smugmug account ?? I like mine.
    ezzyride, Bob, Mudman, Lee, etc, I'll send you pics in the next couple days as soon as i finish dumping everything and sorting

19. mottmcfly

mottmcfly New Member

IT tech
    Just got it tonight but it looks cool. The main selling point is it doesn't make anyone looking at your album jump through any hoops. Want a pic? Go for it? Even gives options for size. Although this might not be great for my pics, I didnt shoot full resolution due to card size.

20. Rockinthecasbah

adorama.com has 4gb cards for like 25-30 bucks so you can shoot full res next time if your interested. Where you the person runing around with sharky since the morning ? or was that someone else