Ride Report Southridge RR 1/12 - 1/3

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by davidB, Jan 13, 2008.

1. PhotoMom

PhotoMom New Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    I remember that wreck! Did that guy get hurt? Here's the best 4x wreck I ever got. Anyone remember when Rich Houseman ate it?? Start with this link http://www.jodygomez.com/p/mountain_cross_06may06/img_033022#photo_s and click through the sequence. That was a horrible crash, but Monday morning first thing Rich calls and is all pumped about the photos (glad I could make him happy). :lol:

2. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

WOW that's crazy and your shots are absolutely amazing!! I have so much to learn from you:).These guys are so tough last season got a sequence of Gustavo when he was knocked out just before this turn. After the race I talked to the guy in my crash and said his shoulder fealt dislocated but he was icing it up later and thought it would be OK.

3. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Gil- With regard to the guys condition: Heather's diagnosis was he had one sweet concussion. He had short-term memory loss. Your typical scrapes and abrasions. His head is probably still hurting today.

As the guy went over the rocks (i.e. airborne), a MEGA gust of wind sealed his fate. He hit so hard, when his visor SNAPPED, it sounded like a tree branch snapping!

For some reason, help did not arrive!!! The trail side volunteers kept radioing for the RHINO- never did see it! After his head cleared (i.e. 45 minutes later), we walked him down to the street! Again, thank you to Heather. :clap:

Bonus: I got to ride a "cherried-out" Socom.

4. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

That guy is Thomas from Black Market (sorry, I forgot his last name). Although it was suggested that he install a front brake on his bike, he didn't think he'd need it. He said he came into the turn way too hot, and couldn't scrub off enough speed.

The pedal broke on his bike, and he dislocated his shoulder. Fortunately, it easily popped back into place. His girlfriend is a physical therapist, I think, and she got an ice pack on it right away. I gave some ibuprofin to hopefully dull the pain. He'll be alright.

Photomom, that crash sequence is really nice! The course also looked 10X better and smoother than it is now. I can't even see any rocks in the course!

5. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Donny has the Rhino at the top (that's how he gets up there to start everyone). I don't think they have anything else. Guess they could've called an ambulance, but maybe they didn't know it was that serious?

When Justin got the concussion I took him over to first aid and they did call, but there wasn't much that could be done. Eventually his memory came back and I drove us home. He took it easy all day. Lingering effects were a bad headache, but doc said he was aight.

No idea how long he was out. We were probably the last practice run on the course or close to it. I sat at the mid point of the hill for probably 3-4 minutes. I started riding back and was gonna hike up when he blew past me on his bike.

6. cbHarping

cbHarping When can I ride again?

The Path Bike Shop Webmaster
    Aha, mystery solved - it was Justin shouting my name at the lower rock garden! Thanks so much! It was really nice at the time hearing my name called out as I went by, I really appreciate it! :D And additional thanks to all the kind words of support from Justin, Winston, and Sauce, you guys rock.

It's so cool to have so many heroes in one place at STR! :D

7. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I'm amazed that SRC's insurance allows the event to run in the manner it does. I've been involved with putting on many jet ski races, and our insurance company would have been all over us if we lacked an on-course first-aid action plan like the SRC events.

8. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Don't take what I said as gospel. I actually have no idea!

9. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Thank you, but I'm also going on my general observations as a former race director. I don't know the facts either, but I'm not confident that I would be properly taken care of if I were hurt on the hill...unless Dino and his brother were at the spot.

When is the last time you could identify an official anywhere on the course? I'd welcome an answer from anyone. Keep in mind that there was a commonly known crash spot on Sunday, and and it sounds like the only people there to help the wounded were photographers and spectators. Something's not right about that. Where are the course marshals?

10. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Dino.......PLEASE thank Angelo for me!! Those are awesome pics!! In fact, can you pm me his email addy so I can send him a personal thx? :)

11. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Having raced with SRC for the last 6 years, I must present what I know and then firmly suggest that if you have questions/concerns that you contact Don Jackson directly. He is very open to your feedback and answering your questions. He being our local race promoter, we want to be as supportive and constructive as possible. I know the races are not perfect, but he does a D**n fine job in IMHO.

There are several volunteers placed at various spots on the course during practice and during the races. They have walkie talkies so that they can communicate with each other. They are usually strategically placed so that they can see up and down the course. However, they are volunteers and if no one tells them there is a problem, they might not know!!!

Whenever I see a problem, if I don't see a course marshall, I ride down and tell the staff so they can send someone up (same as you do when skiing).

Maybe you can suggest that the Course marshalls wear some kind of identifying clothing or some way of knowing where and who they are!!! :)

12. andy aka rut

andy aka rut Active Member

When the DH guy got knocked out at the "wind tunnel" on Sunday during the race, Maxwell ran to the start and informed the starting official. If he informed someone else then I am mistaken. The race continued. There was an unconscious racer in the landing zone of that little jump. We were a few 100 yards up the course telling racers to slow down. Some of them didn't care. One actually flew by and said "I don't care! I'll run the F'er over! F that!" Seriously.

The race should have stopped. I'm an old timer when it comes to EMT stuff. I have worked more events than I want to mention. When the race was not stopped, it put all the upcoming racers, the people assisting and the downed racer in jeopardy. The downed racer was out for approximately 20 seconds. He was not moved for another 10 minutes or so. Racers continued to pass. Medic's were NEVER even called. An unconscious racer should always have the medics called at the very least. No exceptions. The racer always has the right to sign a weiver saying he doesn't want a ride to the hospital.

I was really floored by the organizers on this one.

13. denmother

I have a 34T on mine and was glad I did!!! I only used gears 1-3 through the entire race (except for the wall).

14. denmother

Thanks for the heads up, I'll make sure to ask Donny what the proper procedure is so we will all know for the next race (hopefully there will be no wind).

15. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    I run a 32T!! It didn't help me. :D

16. jamesdc

jamesdc New Member

17. sauce

sauce New Member

Dissertation writing
    Home Page:
    Well I have a 36T and a road cassette, and it didn't work so well with the wind and pedaling. Learned my lesson though. I only ran the lowest gear the whole course!

18. jfromlv

jfromlv trail sanitizer

Student

19. PhotoMom

PhotoMom New Member

Photographer
    Home Page:
    Thanks!!!

20. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

What did I do to you?:?::-k