Southpark under attack along with freedom of speech

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by monstertiki, Apr 20, 2010.

1. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

Alright whether or not you like south park, which I thought last weeks episode was hilarious, these threats by muslim extremist against matt stone and trey parker threaten freedom of speech in this country. Just about every religous figure was pretty much made fun of in this episode of southpark. Budah was even doing a line of coke. Yet one group feel they have the legitimate right to threaten someone for poking fun at their religous belief. It's time for america to take a stand against radical islamic groups that threaten our freedom of speech.

http://tv.spreadit.org/trey-parker-a...m-com-threats/

"Trey Parker And Matt Stone South Park Creators RevolutionMuslim.com Threats – South Park is apparently in big big trouble.
    RevolutionMuslim.com (which is currently out of service because of their little server) which is a radical Islamic website has issued a warning against Trey Parker and Matt Stone the creators of “South Park” for depicting the Prophet Muhammad in a bear suit during their 200th episode which was broadcast on Comedy Central last week.

The threat which is accompanied by a graphic photo of slain Dutch filmmaker Theo van Gogh, who was murdered in 2004 after making a documentary on violence against Muslim women reads:
    “We have to warn Matt and Trey that what they are doing is stupid and they will probably wind up like Theo Van Gogh for airing this show.This is not a threat, but a warning of the reality of what will likely happen to them.” "

2. Congo Kid

Congo Kid Middle Aged Wannabe MTB'r

Commercial Real Estate Executive
    Monstertiki:
    I hope you don't get on a "list" for posting this.... just saying....

Jeff

3. graves.z

graves.z Enduro Plebe

Quality Assurance Technician
    First, Trey Parker and Matt Stone are Canadian. Second, making television shows such as the two part episode in question is exactly what we should do to "take a stand" on this sort of intolerance. Unless you want to bomb all "Muslim extremists"...because that's been exceptionally effective so far.

4. One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind New Member

Landscape Designer (Architect in Training)
    Muslim extremists think they have the right, no, obligation, to kill people who disrespect muhammad. There is only one way to deal with this mindset: They kill one, we kill ten. Don't just take out the perp, wipe out their entire family. Erase the gene pool; men, women and children. Sharia law does not apply in the United States. They need to understand that loud and clear. We will not be intimidated and we will not tolerate those who threaten our way of life. Their extreme actions must be met head-on and with multiplied force. This is our civic duty, not just in the United States but around the world.

5. moka

moka Moka Was Here!

Ugh...

6. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

Nope, bombing islam into submission only acts as a catalyst to breed extremist creating a never ending cycle. I am far from being a pacifist, but imo violence is never a good way to resolve an issue unless there is no other option. However canadian or not, both of the creators of southpark are representing american interest when it comes to freedom of speech, or in this case freedom of expression. Their goal is not to unjustly provoke islamic extremist but instead it is to bring to the forefront the silliness of the reaction of certain groups when a comical satire is aired. Why aren't the christians, jews, budhist, or whatever other religious group that was mocked in last weeks episode as angry as certain other groups? Some people think just talking about this subject is too taboo. You guys should check out the southpark forum itself, the stuff they are posting is stuff I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

7. hunterp101

hunterp101 Member

Nerd
    For sure, we see how well it has worked so far......... All this really does is create more terrorists. We may as well produce a custom recruiting video for them because that's what all of the bombing has done. Part of the catalyst for this group of terrorists was our own actions in Afghanistan, Iran and with Israel. Bin Laden was on the CIA payroll for years so we could use him as a tool to fight the Soviets. In Iran we put the Shaw in power who brutally murdered his own people who didn't agree with him (this sounds familiar, wasn't this our excuse for going into Iraq?!). We back Israel no matter what kind of idiotic decisions they make and then wonder why terrorists want to kill us. As a veteran who went to college at a service academy and fought in the first gulf war I am all for protecting our country and our rights. I am dedicated to this nation and it's safety as much and any soldier, airman or sailor. But, I am not for treating people like our pawns and then being surprised when they get fed up. If you want to stop terrorism you need a dual approach. Violence is only a last resort not first resort.

Acting like we should be able to do whatever we want to whomever we want with no consequences is not only ignorant it give you the exact opposite end result. Let me refer you to Albert Einsteins definition of insanity.................

8. One_Track_Mind

One_Track_Mind New Member

Landscape Designer (Architect in Training)

You are confusing two different issues. We are talking about individual extremists who threaten peoples, especially artists, security and freedom of speech. This is not about 9/11, liberating Iraqis, WMDs, or any other justification we've been given for being over in the Middle East. Oil, cough, cough...

Bush's campaign of "Shock and Awe" was a joke though. So was his declaration "Mission Accomplished". Bombing is not the answer, nor is it what I proposed. The solution to all terrorism is a systematic, methodical, surgical elimination of key leaders. There is no need for media coverage, parades, fighter jets landing on aircraft carriers, etc, etc. Go in, get the job done and get out. Problem solved. Everybody's safer.

9. quikflip27

quikflip27 It Hurts So GOOD!

Working on my BS in Mech Eng.
    I thought religions were supposed to help unite peoples...

10. hunterp101

hunterp101 Member

Nerd
    That's where you are mistaken. It's impossible to separate the two. You can't kill terrorists without killing the people in the population they are hiding in. But, if you are smart you can work within that society to give them reasons to denounce the terrorism which in turn dissolves the terrorist cells. Terrorist groups can't exist without support of the society they are hiding in. The reason we can't get rid of these groups is because they have tons of support. It's not just extremists who support them either. A lot of people see these groups as a last resort of resistance.

Here is an example: If a plane flies over dropping bombs, claiming to be after terrorists and ends up killing part of your family guess who you are going to give aid and support to. Thinking you can separate these things is a big part of the mistake our government seems to continue to make over and over again. Insisting that we use the same techniques that have failed time and again makes no sense. When you are in the middle of it and you see mothers crying and holding their dead babies killed by those bombs and missiles you figure out real quick why the method you describe will never work and only makes matters worse. It's an over simplistic view of an extremely complex problem.

11. hunterp101

hunterp101 Member

Nerd
    One would think. People are too busy hating everyone who isn't like them to be united. :?:

12. bikeadict

bikeadict bikeaholic

Aerospace Engineer
    I really enjoyed the extents they went to in the episode to show exactly how ridiculous the issue is. Especially considering back in season 5 (before the big fuss over in the Netherlands) they showed Muhammad several times in an episode.
    I think the only way to fix this problem is education, not propaganda. Give the kids in that part of the world access to modern views of the world and let them choose for themselves.

And for your enjoyment:

southpark muhammud.gif

13. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Canadians, eh?

Fundamentalists hate anything that ridicules their religion. Yet we're supposed to respect their religion no matter how absurd we think it is. So we end up with "hate speech" and censorship.
    On this board there's certainly self-censorship.

Watch out America, Canada is the future.

'Our domestic laws, both provincial and federal, delineate freedom of expression (or 'free speech') in a manner that is somewhat different than the approach taken in the United States. I therefore encourage you to educate yourself, if need be, as to what is acceptable in Canada and to do so before your planned visit here.'

'Promoting hatred against any identifiable group would not only be considered inappropriate, but could in fact lead to criminal charges.'

[youtube]vnJvP6Ryfp0[/youtube]

14. graves.z

graves.z Enduro Plebe

A country willing to tell Ann Coulter to shut the F up? I don't see the problem.

Also quoted for effect...

15. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    That's the real problem isn't it? It's OK to censor someone you don't like.

16. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

I thought the episode was fair.
    According to the letter of the law, Muhammad should not be depicted and he wasn't. How do we even know it was him in that suit? I don't remember seeing Buddha and the Bear in the same room at one time.... maybe it was really Michael Jackson in there... or Elvis. We really do not know now do we?

17. hunterp101

hunterp101 Member

Nerd
    I think she is a complete idiot but that's her right. She can say whatever she likes and is fully entitled to her own opinion. As are all other hate groups entitled to their opinions. As long as they do not incite violence there is no reason they should be censored.

That being said to go into another country without respecting their laws is just ignorant. not that we should expect anything less from someone like Coulter who seems to hate anything that's not WASP.

18. graves.z

graves.z Enduro Plebe

I never said censor, but if you want people to get outraged at a country which has a slightly more restrictive protection of free speach than the U.S. you should pick a less hateful and unlikable person as your victim.

19. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    that's one of the funniest things i've read on str ivan.

only beer has the power to unite people.

:beer:

btw- i'm more worried about domestic terrorists these days.

20. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Just something popped into my head: If Mohammed cannot be depicted, how would anyone know what he looked like in the first place?

It would be kinda silly to kill someone for depicting some other Mohammed, wouldn't it?